Popping in the front suspension [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Popping in the front suspension

Kevin_ACR
12-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Under hard cornering my front suspension will make a loud pop sound when either turning right or left. Is this the LCA bolts or a different problem? I don't notice anything abnormal in daily driving, only when the car is pushed. I am afraid to take it to the dealer because they will just say nothing is wrong with it. How do I know if my car needs a recall for the LCA? Is there a site that I can print a confirmation of the recall?

shift400ex06
12-28-2008, 07:19 AM
my car makes the same noise idk what it is eather:icon_flaming:

xtreme2424
12-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Mine is doing same thing. I pulled the wheels and checked front end and found nothing loose or broke....Keep us posted

tomzeek
12-28-2008, 01:15 PM
that was one of the symptoms of the LCA bolt problems. take it in and have them torques them. it took five mintues for me. they put it on the lift and flashed my stocker with the h32 at the same time

Kevin_ACR
12-28-2008, 10:07 PM
that was one of the symptoms of the LCA bolt problems. take it in and have them torques them. it took five mintues for me. they put it on the lift and flashed my stocker with the h32 at the same time

What did you say for them to check the LCA bolts. Last time i took it into the dealer I asked them about the LCA bolts and they looked at me with a blank stare. Is there anything online I can show them proving its a recall or an issue?

jadenstate
12-28-2008, 10:20 PM
If you have a torque wrench just do this yourself, doesnt take long, do a search post to find the one where i posted the torque ratings. Or just take it in to the dealer and tell them to tightened the front suspension to spec, they should do it for free.

busanova
12-29-2008, 05:08 AM
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116649#post116649 See post #58 for a PDF of the LCA Rapid Response Recall.The LCA bolts have to be REPLACED with new bolts, not just re-torqued.

jadenstate
12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116649#post116649 See post #58 for a PDF of the LCA Rapid Response Recall.The LCA bolts have to be REPLACED with new bolts, not just re-torqued.

only on some models, most models can be torqued with no issues
they should be torqued to 183Nm, I havent had issues with mine after re-torqueing

Kevin_ACR
12-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Ok I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the bolts with the bolts for a normal caliber (i checked the part numbers to the ones posted in the pdf). Is that a problem? I don't hear any noises but I haven't pushed the car very hard yet.

BTW thank you for posting that link.

mopartodd
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
only on some models, most models can be torqued with no issues
they should be torqued to 183Nm, I havent had issues with mine after re-torqueing

Where did you get 183Nm from?

EDIT: I found that spec. in the FSM. Supposedly, the new bolts require less torque per the recall. Who knows.

Focker
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I was getting the same sounds from my car. I took it in for what i thought would be a LCA recall but it turns out that my VIN does not fall under that recall. The noise was coming from something to do with the axles being loose, I dont remember exactly, I would have to locate my paperwork. This may also be the problem that you fellas are encountering!

mopartodd
01-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Could be. If you get a chance, could you take a look and see what it was specifically? Thanks.

Focker
01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Ok, so I found my paperwork, this is what the tech stated..."Driveshafts loose in the front hubs, torqued the axle shaft hub nuts to proper spec." Hope this helps!

mopartodd
01-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Thanks Focker, very helpful indeed.

modernceo
01-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Im also having the popping noise under hard acceleration.

I thought it was the LCA bolts, but my car was also not marked as being part of the LCA recall..

slick
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Im also having the popping noise under hard acceleration.

Hey Cory,

I thought it was the LCA bolts, but my car was also not marked as being part of the LCA recall..

It happened once to me since the second visit on the LCA recall, right after leaving the dealer with stage 1 installed...go figure.

It hasn't happened since, but any popping is a sign that something terribly wrong is happening.

What do you think it could be besides the lca bolts cory?
I would like to hear what you have to say.

This is a huge issue so I guess where we need to go from here is find out what is stressed under torque when the wheels become rapidly loaded/unloaded under accel when this happens BESIDES the LCAs. Then we might have an answer, and in addition, the possibility of bringing a part to the market that chrysler evidently failed at. lol

Any thoughts?

I'll contribute this, but it's a longshot....

When I got my car the lug nuts were torqued between 70-80 ft lbs each! glad I checked.

Could it be the rotor moving? Because when a wheel momentarily becomes unloaded during accel this may activate the "brake slip diff" (lol) and the noise we could be hearing is some kind of movement there.

I do know for sure that the rotor will make noise when the lugs are loose like mine were, but of course with that eliminated, what else could move?

Something is shifting under load to make this noise.

Thoughts?
We need to figure this out on our own obviously.

slick
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I also think it could likely be the engine cradle.

If you look at the attachment points where the bolts just go into a tube with a flat on the end without any kind of *interlocking register where the cradle and body join, it's going to always move even if the bolt tq is increased.

(*interlocking register - as in a dowel pin on a head, or any other interlocking surface that keeps two parts together perpendicular to the bolt by friction even when unbolted) cha cha! THINK ABOUT THAT!

I almost want to find some flat washers made out of copper, or a hard urethane like a thin slice of a urethane bushing that could go in between the cradle and body to see if it goes away. Even copper is soft and will provide friction and dampening to stop the movement not as good as urethane, but oh well. It can be really thin too.

The engine cradle is the only thing in my mind (with the way it's attached) that could shift slightly under a longitudonal drivetrain impact like tires slipping over a dip in the road at WOT in second.

Just some more thoughts.

BigDaddySRT
01-09-2009, 05:33 AM
That popping noise that you guys are getting in the front end is the Lower Control Arm Bolts.

I just had mine in the dealer the other day and got the H32 Flash and the LCA RRTSB Done.

My Front End would "pop".... under hard acceleration, and under heavy braking. The "pop" noise came from the floorboard area near my feet. The front end would also feel uneasy, like something was loose. I think my alignment also started to shift towards the left (drivers side).

Now the bolts have been replaced, and they even did a front end alignment to varify everything was still within spec. Now I don't experience the "pop" anymore under any conditions, and the front end feels much more firm.

I am still encountering the "thud" noise from the rear of the vehicle... I notice it when more than one person is riding in the car. The Spoiler is tight, and everything is tightened down in the trunk area. It's bad when the dealer has a tech driving, and two techs in the backseat trying to figure out where the "thud" is coming from.

I am beginning to lean towards a blown strut or something definately suspension related.

BigDaddySRT
01-09-2009, 05:44 AM
It happened once to me since the second visit on the LCA recall, right after leaving the dealer with stage 1 installed...go figure.

It hasn't happened since, but any popping is a sign that something terribly wrong is happening.

What do you think it could be besides the lca bolts cory?
I would like to hear what you have to say.

This is a huge issue so I guess where we need to go from here is find out what is stressed under torque when the wheels become rapidly loaded/unloaded under accel when this happens BESIDES the LCAs. Then we might have an answer, and in addition, the possibility of bringing a part to the market that chrysler evidently failed at. lol

Any thoughts?

I'll contribute this, but it's a longshot....

When I got my car the lug nuts were torqued between 70-80 ft lbs each! glad I checked.

Could it be the rotor moving? Because when a wheel momentarily becomes unloaded during accel this may activate the "brake slip diff" (lol) and the noise we could be hearing is some kind of movement there.

I do know for sure that the rotor will make noise when the lugs are loose like mine were, but of course with that eliminated, what else could move?

Something is shifting under load to make this noise.

Thoughts?
We need to figure this out on our own obviously.

The Rapid Response Transmittal #08-070 Rev. A says:
"The Reapair procedure has been removed and dealers are required to replace the bolts... a new repair procedure is added for SRT Models and requires a new style flange bolt, washer, and new torque."

(2) 06508844AA Bolt & Washer, Lower Control Arm to Crossmember (SRT)

They need to replace the bolts... not just re-torque them down.
If they were not properly torqued prior to all the driving, the bolts are going to be ruined.

I would simply take the car in to the dealer... tell them you are encountering the popping noise, and you know there is a Rapid Response TSB, and you want it done now. You don't feel safe in the vehicle.

Silver_CSRT4
01-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Please refer to this thread which I know was placed in the wrong section by the OP but I posted up info on this and what happened to me and what I did.

Thanks

MontrealCSRT4
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
And if the dealer won't do it for you take your car somewhere else. It is an issue on these CSRT4's and a knowledgeable dealer will have seen this problem before.