How long does the gas last after the light? [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: How long does the gas last after the light?

14psi_on20s
02-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Just wondering.....when I was breaking in my car and it was only getting 19-20mpg I waiting till it said low fuel and the gas light came on before filling it up. Now my car gets about 25.5 mpg and I fill up fairly soon... but I was wondering how long is the car supposed to last once the light comes on and it says "low fuel".

schizzy
02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
about 30 mile i think

blacks10
02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
1 gallon of fuel left i believe

Mitsuwa
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
pinny drove about 30-35 miles before she ran out of gas

08S-R-T-4
02-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I got around 90 kms until I ran out of gas.

BoostUp
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Gas warning light usually goes off when you have 2 gallons remaining. Look it up in your owners manual.

Gizmo@Realtune
02-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Scan Gauge FTW :banger:

Fuel % is a great feature. I have went as low as 6% fuel but its around 30% on the Scan Gauge that the light will come on but it drops fast after 15%. As far as how long. About 30-40 mins of highway is what I get out of the car.

27Erich
02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
How about taking a gas can with you, then just find out? Every car is just a little different.

What I like about my 2001 Neon ACR was the low fuel light would flash when you got down to 1/2 gallon.

sherm1123
02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
How about taking a gas can with you, then just find out? Every car is just a little different.

What I like about my 2001 Neon ACR was the low fuel light would flash when you got down to 1/2 gallon.

Yeah, the NSRT4 was the same. I made about 35 miles on the CSRT waiting for the flashing light when I ran out of gas...

UN4GTBL
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah, the NSRT4 was the same. I made about 35 miles on the CSRT waiting for the flashing light when I ran out of gas...
:lol: ya, its too bad teh caliber doesn't do teh flashing thing, especially for us without the EVIC

Gizmo@Realtune
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Buy a scan gauge and you won't need a flashing light :bigthumb:

TrinitySXT
02-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Caliber is just like my 03 neon was. about.. 40 or so miles left once the gas light turns on.

White Heat
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Is the CSRT like the NSRT and PT Cruiser where the fuel pump is in the tank and is cooled by the gas? If so I wouldn't get into the habit of driving when below a 1/4 tank of gas. http://tankonempty.com/viewstory/71 and http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/general-pt-cruiser-discussions/19253-gas-tank-5.html#post240981 Just something to think about. :wave:

MontrealCSRT4
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
ya, its too bad teh caliber doesn't do teh flashing thing, especially for us without the EVIC

The EVIC is useless when the low fuel light is on anyways since it just says LOW FUEL and doesn't display km to empty anymore. I guess they are protecting themselves against idiots that would complain saying that the car said it had 3 km to empty and stopped... :mecry:

UN4GTBL
02-24-2009, 12:57 PM
The EVIC is useless when the low fuel light is on anyways since it just says LOW FUEL and doesn't display km to empty anymore. I guess they are protecting themselves against idiots that would complain saying that the car said it had 3 km to empty and stopped... :mecry:
ha ha, thats dumb

14psi_on20s
02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the informative answers...seems like its best to just fill up before or when the light comes on esp if you dont know where your @.

desertsoldier22
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Low fuel light kicks on below 20% of a tank. 2.5 gallons or 40-50 miles of conservative driving, or 3 strip passes:jester:

JOJOCHINTO
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
mine seems to come on very late... i had the light come on.. drove to my nearest shell in town and proceeded to fill 49 litres into my 52 litre gas tank.

08SRT4
02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Is the CSRT like the NSRT and PT Cruiser where the fuel pump is in the tank and is cooled by the gas? If so I wouldn't get into the habit of driving when below a 1/4 tank of gas. http://tankonempty.com/viewstory/71 and http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/general-pt-cruiser-discussions/19253-gas-tank-5.html#post240981 Just something to think about. :wave:

Master Mechanic? Thats funny. I wonder if he has the story about the arcing DC motor in the low fuel tank too. It is true that they are a brush type DC electric motor.

Here is an image of the Calibler Fuel Pump Module. It has a huge fuel reservoir. In some modules the pump acts like a two stage pump. Siphon fuel from the tank to the reservoir, This action continues to overfill the reservoir to make sure it is full when the tank fuel level is below the top of the reservoir. The pressure part of the pump delivers fuel to the engine. Sometimes the pump motor is designed for a greater volume capacity then what can be delivered to the engine and the pressure regulator keeps the reservoir full. That is why you can for a short period of time take the corner at a high speed without stalling at low fuel levels.

As for trash in the tank. The fuel pump works like a water trash pump there is a filter sock to catch large debris. Outside the tank is a Huge filter to protects the injectors from the smaller stuff. The fuel pump is designed to take any of the debris the pass through the filter sock. I would not worry about it.

If you are truly worried about the junk in the tank. Stay away from the those crummy stations. Fillup at Shell BP or Mobil. Stick to the busy stations these are the well maintain stations or not. I have found it is a cr*p shoot

As for cooling, run your car for awhile and then touch the tank it gets warm, not super hot, but warm. The action of cycling the fuel through the pump heats the fuel.

The old carb cars used to get vapor lock in the float bowl from the heated fuel. There are two types of fuel delivery systems Returnless(which the caliber has) and return. In the return type the pressure regulator is on the engine and there is a fuel return line back to the tank. The K-cars suffered vapor lock in the float bowl from over heated fuel as it is continuously feed fuel from the tank and the engine compartment would heat the fuel and send it back to the tank.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/3307693919_504cf02c14_o.jpg

ejmonkey3
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Master Mechanic? Thats funny. I wonder if he has the story about the arcing DC motor in the low fuel tank too. It is true that they are a brush type DC electric motor.

Here is an image of the Calibler Fuel Pump Module. It has a huge fuel reservoir. In some modules the pump acts like a two stage pump. Siphon fuel from the tank to the reservoir, This action continues to overfill the reservoir to make sure it is full when the tank fuel level is below the top of the reservoir. The pressure part of the pump delivers fuel to the engine. Sometimes the pump motor is designed for a greater volume capacity then what can be delivered to the engine and the pressure regulator keeps the reservoir full. That is why you can for a short period of time take the corner at a high speed without stalling at low fuel levels.

As for trash in the tank. The fuel pump works like a water trash pump there is a filter sock to catch large debris. Outside the tank is a Huge filter to protects the injectors from the smaller stuff. The fuel pump is designed to take any of the debris the pass through the filter sock. I would not worry about it.

If you are truly worried about the junk in the tank. Stay away from the those crummy stations. Fillup at Shell BP or Mobil. Stick to the busy stations these are the well maintain stations or not. I have found it is a cr*p shoot

As for cooling, run your car for awhile and then touch the tank it gets warm, not super hot, but warm. The action of cycling the fuel through the pump heats the fuel.

The old carb cars used to get vapor lock in the float bowl from the heated fuel. There are two types of fuel delivery systems Returnless(which the caliber has) and return. In the return type the pressure regulator is on the engine and there is a fuel return line back to the tank. The K-cars suffered vapor lock in the float bowl from over heated fuel as it is continuously feed fuel from the tank and the engine compartment would heat the fuel and send it back to the tank.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/3307693919_504cf02c14_o.jpg

good info to know for those that dont know, nice post

TrinitySXT
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
or 3 strip passes:jester:

only three?! damn lol

erich82
02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I think the fuel light is triggered by the computer. If you have horrible gas mileage, it will come on sooner, if you have great mileage, it will come on later. Probably triggered by X amount of Miles/Km remaining at certain level of fuel, as opposed to only fuel quantity in the tank.

SpooledCSRT
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Is there any way to change this? My old car (03 Stratus R/T) would show the DTE until there was no more gas left period. Because I'm a very busy person, this is one of the few things I don't like about the car.

Thanks for your help.

-Steven

~CelticMoon~
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Is there any way to change this? My old car (03 Stratus R/T) would show the DTE until there was no more gas left period. Because I'm a very busy person, this is one of the few things I don't like about the car.

Thanks for your help.

-Steven

It is not like it takes hours to fill the tank. I personally fill it when it gets around a 1/4th of a tank, habit from a car I had that when you got down to a 1/4th it would play the guess how much gas you have game.

mamunoz
05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
It is so funny how every one of Chrysler's vehicles seems different. My 03 regular neon showed up when there was 3 gallons left and would last FOREVER. My 04 SRT-4 would show up it seemed when there was like 1 gallon left. My 05 300SRT8 shows up when the computer calculates 15 miles to empty but will go another 20 probably 30 before it dies most I have done is 20. This one I have yet to fill up but from what you all are reporting it is different yet again lol.