Need sugguestions for connecting my iPod! [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Need sugguestions for connecting my iPod!

Devsforev
06-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Good afternoon everyone. My Caliber has just under 2000 miles on it, and i'm loving it! I got the model with the 6-CD Changer, which sadly to say, does not have an AUX input jack.

My iTrip is not cutting it anymore. I live near New York City, and interference with the little iTrip transmitter has started to become unbearable (even after selecting different stations.) I've filled up my CD changer with 6 CDs of MP3 discs just because the quality sounds so much more crisp and clear. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for connecting my iPod which would provide good quality!

On a side note, I do have an Alpine CDA-9811 head unit from my old car. I know -that- has an aux jack which I could modify to work. However, I'm quite satisfied with the stock unit in my caliber (aside from my iPod problem, of corse.)

What would you do if you were in my situation? Thank you everyone in advance!!!

-- Devsforev

joekdo
06-25-2006, 02:15 PM
I believe there's a part available on crutchfield.com, I'll try and find the part for you and get back to you. Its some kind of wire harness that splits off from your factory stereo wires and allows you to plug your pod. I'll check on it and get back to you. However, its prolly cheaper for you to put in your Alpine HU in, I think they have ipod adapters for around 50 bucks. Then you can control it from the screen, much better than AUX, and higher quality too!

Black_RT
06-25-2006, 03:15 PM
i believe this is what your looking for.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3QtXVWy...u/solution.asp (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3QtXVWypdI6/cgi-bin/tools/digitaldrivethru/solution.asp)

CaliberChic
06-25-2006, 04:47 PM
If I ever get the Ipod I won from janopik I will have the same problem.

I like the hardwired set up but removing the stereo..eek! I don't know if I would do that. I will probably try a wireless adapter first.

Devsforev
06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
I am going to investiagte the FM Modulator when I get a chance.

Do you think that it would be a wise idea for me to put in the Alpine head unit? Would I gain much in terms of sound quality? Aside from getting the easy AUX jack, would you think it would be worth it and why?

Thanks again for your help!!
-- Devsforev

Tigerr
06-26-2006, 04:46 AM
Do a Google search for AAI-CHY. It's an Aux adaptor made for the 6-Disc and Nav radios from Chrysler. It's made by PAC. It connects right up to the factory harness. I've already got one, just don't have my Caliber yet.

Here is a link to the PDF from the PAC site:
http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/AAI-CHY.pdf

I found one online for under $100 shipped.

Devsforev
06-26-2006, 05:49 AM
So when you connect this AAI-CHY adapter, does a new 'Mode' appear on the head unit for aux input? (What mode does the head unit have to be set in for aux input?)

Thanks a bunch... all these solutions look pretty reasonable.

-- Devsforev

Tigerr
06-26-2006, 06:09 AM
I found this in the PDF:

Operation:

If simulating VES:
Turn the radio on and press the MODE button to select DVD or VES.
1. Press the SEEK up or down button to select CHP 1 for Aux 1 or CHP for Aux 2.

If simulating Satellite receiver:
The radio will need to be updated with information prior to use. This is one time process and
will not need to be done again unless the radio is disconnected or vehicle battery is replaced/disconnected.
Turn the radio on and press the MODE button to select Satellite. On single disc radios (REF model), wait at least 1 minute before
using. Navigation (REC) or 6 Disc (RAQ or RAK) radios will display ‘UPDATING CHANNELS’, please wait until the information
disappears.
1. Press the SEEK up or down button to select Channel 1 for Aux 1 or Channel 2 for Aux 2.

It will simulate the VES by default, unless you already have a VES installed, then it will simulate the SAT.

Hope this helps. I plan on using this for my Sirius, and possibly my laptop from time to time.

Devsforev
06-26-2006, 06:37 AM
I found this in the PDF:

Operation:

If simulating VES:
Turn the radio on and press the MODE button to select DVD or VES.
1. Press the SEEK up or down button to select CHP 1 for Aux 1 or CHP for Aux 2.

If simulating Satellite receiver:
The radio will need to be updated with information prior to use. This is one time process and
will not need to be done again unless the radio is disconnected or vehicle battery is replaced/disconnected.
Turn the radio on and press the MODE button to select Satellite. On single disc radios (REF model), wait at least 1 minute before
using. Navigation (REC) or 6 Disc (RAQ or RAK) radios will display ‘UPDATING CHANNELS’, please wait until the information
disappears.
1. Press the SEEK up or down button to select Channel 1 for Aux 1 or Channel 2 for Aux 2.

It will simulate the VES by default, unless you already have a VES installed, then it will simulate the SAT.

Hope this helps. I plan on using this for my Sirius, and possibly my laptop from time to time.

When I cycle through my modes right now, I do not have one for DVD or VES. Once I install this adapter, am I correct in assuming that one will appear for me to select?

Thank you once again for your prompt and helpful responses!!
-- Devsforev

Tigerr
06-26-2006, 07:06 AM
I don't have my Caliber yet so I am unable to confirm this 100%. I would assume that once the device is connected it shows up. You may want to check out your radio manual and see what it says regarding VES and SAT. If you do find something, could you post it here.

Devsforev
06-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Excellent. This is great news to hear.

The AAI-CHY adapter for the stock head unit has become one of my solutions now.

Now I must consider if I should install my old Alpine CDA-9811 head unit. I have the stock four-speaker sound system, and do not plan on upgrading that or adding a woofer. I did some googling, and manged to find an interface for the iPod. The KCA-420i looks promising (h-t-t-p://playlistmag.com/reviews/2004/09/alpineipod/index.php (can't post links before 15 posts; sorry!))

What would you do if you were in my situation? Both solutions would cost about the same price, so it comes down to what will be more functional and sound better. Any thoughts?

Thanks again ;)
-- Devsforev

RobMR3
06-26-2006, 08:06 AM
I'd stick with the stock radio and use that adapter. Stock units always look cleaner than an aftermarket install.

Tigerr
06-26-2006, 08:13 AM
I like the idea of having the 6-Disc changer, even if you have an iPod. There is always the guy that bring a whole binder full of CDs on a road trip. I'd say stay stock. The other thing I like is that the AAI-CHY gives you two inputs, so if you ever decide to add a DVD system or something you always have that as well, or even add Sirius/XM.

Devsforev
06-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Thank you everyone for your feedback. Does anyone have a good link on where to buy the AAI-CHY? I did a quick google, but did not come up with any sites that I recognize. I obviously want to buy from a reputable merchant.

Thanks again!!!! :-D
-- Devsforev

Tigerr
06-26-2006, 08:53 AM
This is where I got mine:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7000.html

I was limited to them because they were the only place I could find that had the AAI-CHY in stock and would ship to Canada. They were very friendly and responded to emails quickly.

Devsforev
06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm pretty much set on getting the AAI-CHY as soon as I get home, haha. I'm thinking about creating a home-made aux jack right next to the head unit (or right below it) for convinence sake. Anyone know any stero mini jack connectors/faceplates (i feel like i'm using the wrong term) that would work and look decent? I've spent the last half hour googling, looking at crutchfield and radioshack to no avail. Maybe i'm searching the wrong terms.

My goal is to create an AUX jack near the head unit; similar to the one directly installed in the base stereo model.

Thank you all once more for pointing me in the right direction with all this!!!!
-- Devsforev

Tigerr
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I know RadioShack would have what you want, they just may not list it on their site. I know I've seen them there before. In one of my Sirius forums a guy did the same thing, I just can't find it now.

PAC
06-26-2006, 11:41 PM
When I cycle through my modes right now, I do not have one for DVD or VES. Once I install this adapter, am I correct in assuming that one will appear for me to select?

Thank you once again for your prompt and helpful responses!!
-- Devsforev

Once you connect the interface, DVD or VES will show up when cycling through it using the mode button.

MetroAWD
06-27-2006, 06:36 AM
I have a similar situation with no AUX input for my iPod. But even if it did have the AUX, there'd be no display/changing of the ipod from the steering wheel, etc. On another Caliber forum, I was told that a new ipod connection kit allowing both display of tracks on the head unit and drivers convenience screens and steering wheel controls of tracks/volumes/playlists. So I'm being patient for now, playing CDs, data discs, and the Satellite stations.

Devsforev
06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I have a similar situation with no AUX input for my iPod. But even if it did have the AUX, there'd be no display/changing of the ipod from the steering wheel, etc. On another Caliber forum, I was told that a new ipod connection kit allowing both display of tracks on the head unit and drivers convenience screens and steering wheel controls of tracks/volumes/playlists. So I'm being patient for now, playing CDs, data discs, and the Satellite stations.

Any word on when this will be released/how much it may be? Could post a link if you happen to have it? I'm anxious about getting my iPod hooked up with my car, but I will wait a few months if this integrated solution comes out.

On a side note, I'm wondering why they would be making such a device. I thought Dodge put the AUX port in the Caliber specifically for iPods (I mean, in all the advertisements, you always see the iPod in the dock holder.) I'm not complaining; it just makes me speculate on how soon they plan on releasing it.

I would love to see information about this. Thank you so much!!
-- Devsforev

MetroAWD
06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Sent you private mail with links to threads where the new ipod connector I mentioned above is discussed. I can't post links yet, I'm too new to this board.

Here's the meat of the info. I don't know the source and cannot vouch as to it's accuracy, I'm just the messenger (and could use this aftermarket goodie myself!)

"if you didn't know yet there will be an iPod integration kit available later this year. They already have ones for the ones who use the round style radio's but the Caliber uses the CAN Bus system so the kit isn't out just yet. But keep your eye out for it as it's on it's way.

Basically what the kit will let you do is setup a dedicated iPod connection. As long as you don't have the iPod Shuffle you will be able to directly connect the iPod to the system and it will display all the song names and artist on the radio display. In addition you will be able to control the ipod from the radio as well (and if you have steering wheel controls you can control it there too). Another perk is that it will keep
your iPod charged while it is plugged into the system."

mudstone
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
dude please just type it like www-dot-something-dot-com cuz we could all really use something like that

Devsforev
06-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Here are the links that were PMed to me... I hope they help anyone in the same situation!! I'm pretty sure you need to register for the forums in order to view the posts.

w-w-w.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79146
w-w-w.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79266

Looks promising, however I noticed they do not reference where they heard this information from. I would really like to know from a reputable source when this is coming out.

Many thanks to MetroAWD for providing me with the links! Anyone have any information/thoughts about this interface?

-- Devsforev

Devsforev
07-03-2006, 07:20 AM
So has anyone seen any reputible information on when this adapter is supposed to be coming out? If so, please provide us with a link!

I was just browsing eBay for integration kits. With a bit of googling, I found out that the Dodge Ram and Caliber both use the RAQ model radio. Would I be correct in assuming that I could by a Ram integration kit, and have it work with my Caliber?

As a side note, the integration kits I found on eBay work with steering wheel controls, but do not display track information on the screen. If there is a solution that would display track info, I would prefer that.

Any time frame at all on this Caliber-specific integration kit? Thanks a bunch everyone!!

-- Devsforev

Devsforev
07-05-2006, 10:38 AM
... And the thread goes silent :rolleyes: ... No thoughts as to an -estimated- release date on this?

I just want my music!!! :D

Thanks again everyone!!
-- Devsforev

MetroAWD
07-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Just use an 1/8" to Casette Adapter for now (cheap) and when/if the aformentioned item comes to market, pick it up if so inclined. The factory head unit can already play MP3 data CDs. Or get an FM transmitter (also cheap) for a clean wireless look. I'm assuming since the Sirius info is put on the drivers convenience display, it shouldn't be that difficult to put trackname/playlist, etc info from an iPod with a similar connection. I'm guessing that by Xmas, it should be available. Who knows??

Devsforev
07-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Cheers. Unfortunately (or fortunately, for that matter :rolleyes:) I do not have a tape deck in my model... I'm stuck with the wireless transmitter right now i suppose.

Would the AAI-CHY provide an equal quality of sound, but without the convienence of using the CD-changer/steering wheel controls? Hmm... decisions...

Thanks again Metro.
-- Devsforev

donsmith
07-17-2006, 09:20 AM
VES? I don't know what that is. The instructions says that either Satellite or VES must be disconnected for the PAC-AUDIO AAI-CHY audio interface to work. I don't want to give up satellite radio, but is VES (I'm guessing here) normally an interface for remote CD players? Since I have the 6-CD Radio in my Caliber SXT, I won't be giving up anything if I use this interface, right? Wrong? Another reader, who seems to know what he's talking about, says an iPod adaptor kit will be out likely before the end of the year and it'll not only have the special iPod dock connector but will also have an AUX input. Tempted as I am to get this PAC-AUDIO device now, I think I'll wait.

Tigerr
07-17-2006, 09:38 AM
VES stands for Vehicle Entertainment System. It has no use in the Caliber, but for the Pacifica or T&C it links the overhead DVD audio to your speakers. If you have the stock Sirius, then you wont lose that or any other options with your stereo. You will just be adding two Aux Inputs for whatever you would like.

Devsforev
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
VES? I don't know what that is. The instructions says that either Satellite or VES must be disconnected for the PAC-AUDIO AAI-CHY audio interface to work. I don't want to give up satellite radio, but is VES (I'm guessing here) normally an interface for remote CD players? Since I have the 6-CD Radio in my Caliber SXT, I won't be giving up anything if I use this interface, right? Wrong? Another reader, who seems to know what he's talking about, says an iPod adaptor kit will be out likely before the end of the year and it'll not only have the special iPod dock connector but will also have an AUX input. Tempted as I am to get this PAC-AUDIO device now, I think I'll wait.

I too think I will hold out until the iPod adapter kit becomes available... I have a few questions, which I wish someone knew the answers to (but I'm sure nobody does at this point... but I'll ask them anyway ;))

Would the controls on the iPod still work while connected to the interface? Or would it only be able to be controlled through the head unit? Passengers familiar with the iPod interface but unfamiliar with my car might find it an annoyance when I ask them to pick a song, and they spend 5 minutes scratching their head trying to figure out how to get it to work in my head unit.

Is there any 'official' source that has stated that this product will actually be released? I have heard many posting around the forums, but have yet to read anything from a reputible source stating that this is coming out at the end of the year.

I am going back to college at the end of August, and want to know if I should wait it out for this adapter, or If I should just buy the AUX adapter and make my own jack right in the dash. Any thoughts/opinions are welcome. Have a good one everyone...

-- Devsforev

MetroAWD
07-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Is there any 'official' source that has stated that this product will actually be released? I have heard many posting around the forums, but have yet to read anything from a reputible source stating that this is coming out at the end of the year.
-- Devsforev

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/jan/08chrysler.html

Also, there already exists an integration kit for some other Dodge models, so I expect the Caliber Kit should be along soon enough. Before you go back to school, who knows, but you should spend more time studying and less time driving and cranking tunes anyway. :)

http://www.wkjeeps.com/iPod.htm

See the note on the bottom about CAN-bus vehicle integration.

donsmith
07-18-2006, 05:53 AM
My source is another user to one of these forums who seems connected and knowledgeable. He says that the iPod integration kit is being developed and should be here before the end of the year. He says that because the iPod Shuffle cannot receive the dock connector, the iPod integration kit will have AUX input as well to accomodate the Shuffle. He says that everyone will have iPod information displayed on the radio and for those of you with steering wheel controls you'll be able to control the iPod.

Devsforev
07-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Great to hear. I suppose I'll just wait it out. Anyone with any further/developing information on this, PLEASE post it! Have a good one, and thank you EVERYONE for your prompt and accurate responses.

-- Devsforev

rcompart
07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
The AAI-CHYP as it is referred to is the iPod controlling/charging cable for use with the CAN-Bus. There is no official word on when it will be coming out. It has been "In the works" for well over two years and is going on three. Just be happy that the aux is available as 6-7 months ago people were saying that wasn't gonna come out either. It's pretty difficult I guess as they have to actually map when the commands are sent, how they are sent, what addresses they use and so on and so forth. It's a major pita. Rumor as of late has said it will be released late in the fall. This was coming from a direct rep. He did say that they may delay it even more though as DCX has another new radio coming out and it might not work with that one so they want to make an all inclusive unit I guess.

As for the VES, I don't know this first hand, but someone was telling me it will always revert back to FM when you turn off the car. If someone could clarify this it would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT: Spelling]

Principal
09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
He says that everyone will have iPod information displayed on the radio and for those of you with steering wheel controls you'll be able to control the iPod.Does that 'everyone' include the standard 1CD radio as well? It'd be pretty slick. (Sorry to revive the thread, I didn't notice it before)

donsmith
09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
My white Caliber came with the REF radio, the basic one with the AUX input. I simply bought the 6-CD radio with the Cassette player off of eBay ("RAK" I think?). I got it for $199.99 technically used but it was new when it was recently pulled from a Charger. Same cassette radio that comes in some Calibers. Paid the dealer $45 to swap out the radios and now I just have my iPod in the iPod holder and a cassette adaptor between the radio and the iPod. Simple and works great. Now, I and so many others in these forums have the AUX-input REF radios laying around collecting dust.

MetroAWD
09-15-2006, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't say the cassette-to-ipod solution "sounds great" but until the integrated solution is available, it is the quick-and-dirty solution that works best in my opinion.

Principal
09-25-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm still waiting and hoping Chryslers "MyGig" system will fit in the Caliber some how. It's got everything I want and more.

Calibershark7
10-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I just received an early birthday present from a friend of mine; an iPod! I'm new to the whole mp3 concept and need to know where to find an AV cable to connect my iPod to my AUX jack in my Caliber. Can anyone give me some ideas? Thanks in advance.

ashram
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
2 posts down at the time of this writing...
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2605

cas1112
11-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi.just saw this post.I have a 2008 Caliber that came with the 6 disc unit and my deal
with the dealership included them trying to find a hookup that would work with my
portable sirius radio I had at the time.They couldn't do it and ended up paying for a
Clarion radio that has an auxiliary input as well as an ipod interface built in.I finally broke
down and bought an ipod and it much more convienient than cd's.I can also change the
color display on the radio to compliment my calibers color scheme (orange-love it)Now if
I could just find a reasonably simple way to hide wires,life would be a dream.