Gas light on.. How far can you go? [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Gas light on.. How far can you go?

Angsrt
06-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Just curious since I bought my CSRT how many miles I could go once the light comes on? It's still stock.. I know my NSRT could go about 26 miles once the light came on.

blackpearl
06-18-2010, 05:48 AM
roughly 30 miles for mine

Northern Mike
06-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Good info to know.
I don't tend to drive my car to that point anymore. I still remember all too well pushing my 88 Caviler into the gas station with 1/8 a tank still showing on the gas gauge.

Balzdeep
06-18-2010, 07:17 AM
20 to 30 miles tops.

MoparSrt-4
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the fuel pump is cooled with the fuel in the tank, so if you run your car on empty a lot you might be beating up your fuel pump. I've always used this thinking to push myself to fuel up sooner than later.

UN4GTBL
06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
I was told 50km.

now thats probably 50 highway kms

GreaseMonkey
06-18-2010, 08:47 AM
There should be about 2-3 gallons left when the light comes one. I wouldn't push it though.

brucestr21
06-18-2010, 08:57 AM
You can keep going until the gas runs out :jester:

HIGHBRED8
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
gas? i thought these cars were electric.....

egk69
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
on mine the light comes on a little bit less than 1/4!, that's a lot of gas left!

I know I've run with the Needle on the bottom some miles dont know how much, I can measure it the next time i see it there, that happens to me very frequently hehehe

CodeTech
06-18-2010, 01:07 PM
It's okay to run it low, but definitely avoid running it dry. Of course, you have to do that once to figure out where "dry" is. Or just pretend that the ding means "Caliber needs food, badly".

Usually I can drive to and from work once with the gas light on. Which is meaningless to everyone but me.

UN4GTBL
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
It's okay to run it low, but definitely avoid running it dry. Of course, you have to do that once to figure out where "dry" is. Or just pretend that the ding means "Caliber needs food, badly".

Usually I can drive to and from work once with the gas light on. Which is meaningless to everyone but me.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jim_flint
06-19-2010, 09:06 AM

play gauntlet much?

08srtBLACKOUT
06-19-2010, 11:05 AM
ive run dry and had to push the car good thing it was in town and only had to push it about 250yards so it wasnt that bad. the only reason it happen was there was an emergancy and i knew i had to get gas but had no time so on my way back from the emergency it just stopped at a red ligth lol

Angsrt
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Little update.. I went 32 miles the other day with the light on.. 27 miles freeway and the rest was side streets

AdubZ
06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
i been at least 30 miles with it on. i dont like doin that tho...:icon_eek:

Angsrt
06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
yeah, i was pretty sketched out once it came on because I realized I had no idea how far I could go.. the EVIC only says "low fuel" once you're at that point, no longer shows distance to empty

08sunburst
06-19-2010, 02:07 PM

I work 3 miles from my house, so in theory, i can drive to and from work all week with the light on :bigthumb:

I would never do it, but i guess i could

I just filled up my car yesterday, and that was the first time i filled it in two weeks

:beerchug:

Breech
06-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the fuel pump is cooled with the fuel in the tank, so if you run your car on empty a lot you might be beating up your fuel pump. I've always used this thinking to push myself to fuel up sooner than later.

Yep, in tank fuel pumps use fuel to cool themselves. I've seen pumps burned up from running the tank low all the time. The best mechanic I've ever known said that it's in your best interest to never go below 1/4 tank to help prevent this from happening. I try to hover around that mark as close as possible and rarely go past it. In tank pumps are a bear to replace.

Northern Mike
06-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Anyone remember the blackout a few years back? That was a very good reason to keep a minimum of a 1/4 in the tank. It was amazing how many vehicles where parked along the streets in Toronto, out of gas.

14psi_on20s
06-21-2010, 07:58 AM
There should be about 2-3 gallons left when the light comes one. I wouldn't push it though.

This.

The light is supposed to indicate @ 2.5 gallons, it also will flash at .5 gallon.

jeffaary
06-21-2010, 08:43 AM
The light is supposed to indicate @ 2.5 gallons, it also will flash at .5 gallon.

Are you sure about that? The Neon SRT-4 manual says the light flashes, but I don't see that in the Caliber manual.

quiksilver
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I've run into 3 different scenarios for me but not much help.

1) Scanguage said fuel left 1%
2) I thought the manual said 13.4? gallons in a tank. One fill-up (that I recall) after the light had been on for a while and was almost past the E letter, only filled up 12.6 gallons.
3) I was at a friends house and my car wouldn't start and couldn't figure out why. I finally remembered I was on E. Turned out the slant of her driveway caused my car not to start cause such low fuel? I didn't know that could happen honestly but I let out the ebrake and rolled onto the main road. Once my car was level, it started.

The 2.5 gallon comment makes sense to me cause I have mostly city travel and at roughly 19/20 MPG for me, I go 30-40 miles on the light before I fill up. When I do fill up, it still has 1 - 1.5 gallons left.

SLVCSRT408
06-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Okay I was driving back from Florida on my way back to Illinois.. Alright so I am driving and waiting for my next or my last fill up to get back on.. So the gas light is not on I am driving figured I go further and I did. I passed up a gas station and kept driving. Well before I know it ding yellow gas light is on, I was like oh boy now I have to fill up now. So yeah not a gas station in site on my GPS I even zoomed out quite a distance on my GPS. So I am driving and my fiance at the time was like we better not run out of gas lol. I was like no we are good, so driving and more driving dont see a gas station. Time passes and so do the miles and I hear another ding.. This time its a red gas light... I was like oh boy this is not good... another 5 miles later I make it to a gas station... at that point I am sure I was running almost on fumes... So yeah if its yellow your good, red get gas immediately.. I am sure I drove a good 30 miles... Now once the red light came on I down shifted and did 45 miles per hour... I got passed by cars that I was blazing past earlier in my drive lol.

08sunburst
06-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Okay I was driving back from Florida on my way back to Illinois.. Alright so I am driving and waiting for my next or my last fill up to get back on.. So the gas light is not on I am driving figured I go further and I did. I passed up a gas station and kept driving. Well before I know it ding yellow gas light is on, I was like oh boy now I have to fill up now. So yeah not a gas station in site on my GPS I even zoomed out quite a distance on my GPS. So I am driving and my fiance at the time was like we better not run out of gas lol. I was like no we are good, so driving and more driving dont see a gas station. Time passes and so do the miles and I hear another ding.. This time its a red gas light... I was like oh boy this is not good... another 5 miles later I make it to a gas station... at that point I am sure I was running almost on fumes... So yeah if its yellow your good, red get gas immediately.. I am sure I drove a good 30 miles... Now once the red light came on I down shifted and did 45 miles per hour... I got passed by cars that I was blazing past earlier in my drive lol.

Just curious, how did your car do gas mileage wise from florida to il?

I have a friend that lives in FL, and i want to go and visit her some day, just wondering how many fill-ups it took

Also, i wonder if the standard model has a red gas light that comes on too.

Is it in the same spot as the normal gas light, and it just turns red?

I know my gas light comes on at a little under an 1/8 of a tank, and when i fill up as soon as the light comes on, it only takes about 10.5 gallons.

Remax realtor
06-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Just curious, how did your car do gas mileage wise from florida to il?

I have a friend that lives in FL, and i want to go and visit her some day, just wondering how many fill-ups it took

Also, i wonder if the standard model has a red gas light that comes on too.

Is it in the same spot as the normal gas light, and it just turns red?

I know my gas light comes on at a little under an 1/8 of a tank, and when i fill up as soon as the light comes on, it only takes about 10.5 gallons.

From Michigan to the panhandle of Florida I had to fill up 4 times. It was about 950-1000 miles or so, but I was hauling a**. I probably averaged 85 mph easily, but many times I was cruising 90-95. I did't see a cop from N Ohio all the way to the Florida line. On the way home I didn't see one until Michigan. What should have been a 15 hour trip, I did in 14 hours with 7-8 stops. The best way to figure it out is to map quest the distance and divide by how many miles you get per tank.

08sunburst
06-26-2010, 10:52 AM
From Michigan to the panhandle of Florida I had to fill up 4 times. It was about 950-1000 miles or so, but I was hauling a**. I probably averaged 85 mph easily, but many times I was cruising 90-95. I did't see a cop from N Ohio all the way to the Florida line. On the way home I didn't see one until Michigan. What should have been a 15 hour trip, I did in 14 hours with 7-8 stops. The best way to figure it out is to map quest the distance and divide by how many miles you get per tank.

Well, most of my driving is done locally, i have not taken teh car on a drive any longer than 2-3 hours.

Where in florida did you go? My friend lives pretty close to the southern tip lol

But still, 4 fillups is not bad at all, thats definitely less than what i would think.