Found a turbo for CVT. No, really. [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Found a turbo for CVT. No, really.

skimhitz
07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey guys,

So I was checking out the Road Race Motorsports website (http://roadracemotorsports.com/) and low and behold what do I find? In the section for the new Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L, there is a complete turbo kit for the 08+ CVT:

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_10&products_id=608&zenid=78219139956fd82fa6bc4684ebd06081

I'm amazed that they've come up with a turbo kit for a CVT transmission at all, given all the claims about the max torque that the CVT allows, but it's possible that alot of misinformation has been going around the forum.

For those not aware, the Dodge Caliber and Mitsubishi Lancer engines are both based on the GEMA World Engine, which is to say that they share *most* of the same basic engine, but not they are not exactly the same. Some items such as intake and exhaust ports, manifolds, etc are adapted to each application. Also, they both share a JATCO CVT transmission, though I'm not sure if it's the same model.

Either way, this got me thinking that perhaps it's not too hard to adapt this kit to work on the Caliber. I sent the following email to Road Race:

"I noticed that you have a turbo kit available for the 2.0L Mitsubishi Lancer
with the CVT. This is the first time I've seen such a kit available for a
CVT transmission. Is there any possibility that such a kit will be adapted
for the Dodge Caliber in the future? I imagine there are many Caliber owners
with a CVT who are unhappy with its acceleration. Also, I was curious how
well the CVT handles the extra horsepower and torque, since I've heard
unofficially that it can't handle a very big increase in torque. Thank you
very much for your time."

This is the response I got back:

"No chance of us adapting it. Someone would have to buy this kit and adapt it accordingly. We do not have a the demand to do a kit for Caliber. thnx"

Doesn't sound promising, but really, most people were under the assumption a turbo for the CVT wasn't even possible, so why would we have asked for it?

What I suggest is everyone email Road/Race (http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=78219139956fd82fa6bc4684ebd06081) and ask about a turbo for the Dodge Caliber. Seriously. Judging by the endless threads started about getting more performance out of the CVT, I'm willing to bet we can generate alot of demand for it. So even if you're only considering a turbo as a passing thought, send them an email. Maybe we can convince them to develop a turbo kit and solve our quest for power once and for all.

Also, in before the "swap it for an SRT4".

08sunburst
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
there is ONE person that i know of that has put a turbo onto a non srt caliber, and it is a 2.4 liter 5-speed, and even then, tuning it is next to impossible.

You basically have to trick the computer into doing what you need it to do, and the check engine light will always be on at that point.

Im not going to say its not possible, but if your going to try to put a turbo on the car, the best bet is to start with a manual trans

Remax realtor
07-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Heres my take on it. You can get a csrt for pretty cheap. $15k or better if you spend a little time to look. If you have the cash to blow on a turbo kit, bolt ons, and tuning, why not just get a csrt? You would then have a more reliable car that is probably still faster. I dont know the prices of lancers, but im guessing it's more popular with them because the evo is so expensive. Theres probably a big price gap so spending a few thousand still wont put them close to the price of the evo.