Wet Floor!! [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Wet Floor!!

oh8csrt4
08-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Has anyone else had issues with leaks in the back seats? My driver's side back floor is soaking wet. I think it is coming from under the car. We have had a lot of rain lately. I also noticed the bolt head for the rear seat has a lot of surface rust on it. I checked around the door seal and can't see any or feel anything wet. I looked under the car and all the plugs are in place too. Any ideas where else I can check?

MoparSrt-4
08-19-2010, 06:18 AM
I know that the holes that the panels snap into are open to the area covered by the side skirts. I'm talking about the area right next to the doors.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_AKeT8FAy-ZA/TDM48Os_iTI/AAAAAAAACpM/_IZCSt2ZI70/IMAG0069.jpg
here you can kind of see them.
I was surprised to look through them and see the garage floor. The clips on the interior panels have a foam ring around them to help in sealing and to help compensate for movement, but I don't know if it would prevent water from coming in.

UN4GTBL
08-19-2010, 06:21 AM
do you have a sunroof?

Northern Mike
08-19-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm thinking you may want to check your trunk as well.
My 01 Neon had a sealing issue around the trunk. The water would wick from the trunk, under the back seat, soaking the carpet on the floor in the back.
With your back bolts rusting, it sounds very similar to my issue.

rayjj
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Mod list does have sunroof listed, so thats been a source of leaks for a few people in the past.

Northern Mike
08-19-2010, 10:45 AM
If under the back seat is wet, you either have lots of water, or it is coming in from the back.

UN4GTBL
08-19-2010, 11:13 AM
^ however if its the floor, i suspect the sunroof drain tubes are clogged or the a/c drain hose

Northern Mike
08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
^ however if its the floor, i suspect the sunroof drain tubes are clogged or the a/c drain hose

But in the back seat?

UN4GTBL
08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
But in the back seat?
thats how it happens on the jeep patriot, so i assume that the caliber would be capable of having the same problem

all depends on where the drain hoses run/connect

Northern Mike
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
thats how it happens on the jeep patriot, so i assume that the caliber would be capable of having the same problem

all depends on where the drain hoses run/connect

I thought the AC was in the front by the firewall. I have no idea where the sunroof vents to, so you may have a point there.

oh8csrt4
08-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for feedback. I will check the sunroof drains and the hatch seals. I know the A/C is good, I see the wet spot after I park. Unless the dealer has a fix, I think I will be pulling a lot of interior out. :mecry:

UN4GTBL
08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
I thought the AC was in the front by the firewall. I have no idea where the sunroof vents to, so you may have a point there.
yeah teh ac drain hose is in behind to the right of the pedals IIRC

but if the drains are clogged somewhere, and the water is coming out of the drains and then running down the b pillars...

is your headliner wet?

the patriots would have a water filled rear cargo lamp!

RobertsDP
08-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I had this same problem a month or 2 ago. I took it to the dealer and they ended up welding something, not to sure what exactly, (im in a Poland and dont speak the laguage that good to understand tech stuff) but the same day I got it back from the dealer there was a huge storm and once again I had water on the floor... took it to them again and it turned out under the driver side front fender some rubber gaskets were not sealed correctly and water was dripping into the car from there and running along with the wires to the back floor. Might be worth it to give it a check.

oh8csrt4
08-19-2010, 05:59 PM
The headliner is good. At least I didn't see anything. Once the rain stops I am going to take some compressed air and blow out the sunroof drains.

yeah teh ac drain hose is in behind to the right of the pedals IIRC

but if the drains are clogged somewhere, and the water is coming out of the drains and then running down the b pillars...

is your headliner wet?

the patriots would have a water filled rear cargo lamp!

Rob thanks. I will take a close look at that. May have to pull some interior pieces and make sure my wires are not wet.
I had this same problem a month or 2 ago. I took it to the dealer and they ended up welding something, not to sure what exactly, (im in a Poland and dont speak the laguage that good to understand tech stuff) but the same day I got it back from the dealer there was a huge storm and once again I had water on the floor... took it to them again and it turned out under the driver side front fender some rubber gaskets were not sealed correctly and water was dripping into the car from there and running along with the wires to the back floor. Might be worth it to give it a check.

AFsrt4SmokiN
08-20-2010, 08:08 PM
its a leak in your sunroof. it took my dealer 2 freking weeks to figure it out. the runroof has some drain slots somewhere up in it and the vent water to the underside of the car but some how they get closed up and leak into the back seat. my dealer first thought it was coming through a body panel and the took them all off and resealed them but it still leaked but through a bit of research on my part i suggested to them that the caliber has had sunroof problems so they looked. since then i have had a dry floor

Taunto
08-26-2010, 11:46 PM
What Robert is talking about is most likely your concern. Your going to half to rip all your interior out including the carpet. make sure you get it all fully dry before re-installed. Clean up all the water left under the carpet or its gonna start to stink after a while and grow milldew and ruin your carpet. now Take your front left Fender off. Its really straight forward. If You would like the service info on how to do it let me know and i can e-mail you a copy of it, Since i do work for Dodge as a mechanic. I have fixed many calibers with this same problem. Where the body seams are after you remove the front fenders. It looks like a big weld job that someone screwed up on big time lol. (now robert IDK why your dealer would weld up something to fix this problem but anyway) What i do is get some really good Clear silicone and run it all over the body seams. spread it all around and get a nice thick coat of it on there. It may take 2-3 tubes of silicone. Let it fully dry completely. Then re-install your fender/s. If you only have water coming in on the driver side you may be able to get away by just doing this procedure on the drivers side.. but if its me I would do the other side Just incase.

Just for a side note.. a good quick way to check if your sunroof drains are clogged are not is open your sunroof and on the front bottom corners theres a small hole ... take a cup of water and poor it into them.. now just watch under your car to see if the water drips onto the ground.. if it does.. well then its not cloged. if it doesnt.. well you will be removing the headliner and tracing drainage hoses to see if once is dissconected or riped or what ever the case may be. Hope this helps. PM me if you need any help or more questions.

oh8csrt4
08-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Taunto, Great info. Very helpful. As soon as I am set up in my new place I am going to get this sorted out. Luckily the rain has stopped for now and my carpet had a chance to dry. I will definitely try the sunroof tip first to eliminate that. Thanks again.

Taunto
09-09-2010, 05:03 PM
You ever fix your Wet Floor Problem?

oh8csrt4
09-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Have not had the time to look at it. Still getting settled from my move. Hopefully in the next couple of weekends I will have the time to look at it.

You ever fix your Wet Floor Problem?