The dreaded 3rd Gear Grind [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: The dreaded 3rd Gear Grind

Nimrod
07-24-2011, 09:57 AM
While husband was driving the new (to us) SRT-4 yesterday, I noticed the car was making a strange kind of grind noise when shifting in/out of 3rd gear. I Googled the problem, and it seems like it's a common issue with the Neon SRT-4s that can cause undue wear on the tranny. Seems like it is the 3rd gear syncro. There wasn't much info on it in Calibers, though.

Anyone else have this problem?

Our Cali is still under warranty, so I think we'll likely take it in and have it looked at.

UN4GTBL
07-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Its a different transmission.

But I'd definitely get it looked at while its under warranty still.

Northern Mike
07-25-2011, 05:10 AM
I haven't had any issues with 3rd gear on mine.
I did hit the 2nd gear wall while launching hard from stop. That was fixed with motor mounts which keep the engine and tranny from dancing aound.

Nimrod
07-25-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm aware the Neon SRTs had a different transmission, which is why I found it odd that our SRT4 was doing it, too. :/ I swear, it sounds just like the videos and sound clips of a Neon 3rd Gear Grind.

Oh well, that's what warranty is for!

Angsrt
07-26-2011, 01:41 AM
I'm aware the Neon SRTs had a different transmission, which is why I found it odd that our SRT4 was doing it, too. :/ I swear, it sounds just like the videos and sound clips of a Neon 3rd Gear Grind.

Oh well, that's what warranty is for!

The caliber is more known for the 5th gear grind.. usually happens when upshifting to 5th while driving in a "spirited" fashion. I had it briefly, but when i swapped out my trans fluid to valvoline synthetic atf-4 it completely went away...no grinds at all. I had have the NSRT too..and my car had that 3rd gear grind, it's caused mostly by a TOB Fork being worn down not allowing the clutch to engage fully. it sucks. I had my trans competely rebuilt and it's stout now

modernceo
07-29-2011, 09:29 AM
The Getrag transmission found in the Caliber SRT4 is suprisingly stout.

The Neon SRT4 trans on the other hand, has had a few issues. Mostly with synchros, brass shift forks and of course the clutch pivot fork like Angst mentioned.

Nimrod
07-29-2011, 04:48 PM
The Getrag transmission found in the Caliber SRT4 is suprisingly stout.

The Neon SRT4 trans on the other hand, has had a few issues. Mostly with synchros, brass shift forks and of course the clutch pivot fork like Angst mentioned.

Here's our issue: There is a funny noise ONLY when the car is rolling and only shifting in or out of third. If we're stopped, there is no grinding noise. There is no grinding in or out of any other gear.

We're taking it into the dealership Tuesday for that, and the pop noise the driver's side suspension makes when we accelerate too quickly, turn a little hard, or go over a dip in the road. And the back fin is loose and squeaks. And the CD player won't load disk 5 or 6 if there are disks in 2, 3, and 4.

Just some little stuff, but I will keep everyone posted.

Angsrt
08-04-2011, 04:52 AM
Here's our issue: There is a funny noise ONLY when the car is rolling and only shifting in or out of third. If we're stopped, there is no grinding noise. There is no grinding in or out of any other gear.

We're taking it into the dealership Tuesday for that, and the pop noise the driver's side suspension makes when we accelerate too quickly, turn a little hard, or go over a dip in the road. And the back fin is loose and squeaks. And the CD player won't load disk 5 or 6 if there are disks in 2, 3, and 4.

Just some little stuff, but I will keep everyone posted.

The wing being loose is common.. you can tighten that yourself. I believe it's an 8mm or 10mm. Open up the hatch, look for the black plugs.

The pop noise is likely the axle nut that comes loose... I believe that's a 32mm to tighten that. Mine comes loose and will make that pop noise too.. it won't fall off though.

Get that trans fixed though.. that is expensive to do on your own.. I'd change the fluid first, see if that helps before I had them rip apart the trans.