Hideous "Long Mast" Antenna [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Hideous "Long Mast" Antenna

LuckyBoy2007
09-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Do all Caliber's come with the long mast antenna? I recall seeing pictures of a "shark fin" antenna on the cars instead of the giant one in front...

Fingernipp
09-24-2006, 05:24 PM
I think the european cars get the fin. Here in the states we are left with the whip. Its like the antenna i used to take off my fathers delta 88 and try and chop branches off of trees with.

Sean
09-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Do all Caliber's come with the long mast antenna? I recall seeing pictures of a "shark fin" antenna on the cars instead of the giant one in front...

Shark fin will be for the XM/Sirius sattelite radio.

Yes, all calis have the long mast. We replaced ours with an 18" black one. Much more gooder. ;)

Xtreme Thunder
09-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, U.S.A. gets the whip and Europe gets the roof mounted short one. Any fin like antenna on a Caliber for '07 is for Sirrius.

Sleazy
09-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, U.S.A. gets the whip and Europe gets the roof mounted short one. Any fin like antenna on a Caliber for '07 is for Sirrius.You sure about that? I have that Sirrius thingy and I don't believe I have a fin.

mistashady
09-24-2006, 11:43 PM
yea me too i have the long mast and the shark fin....lol

JLM 3
09-25-2006, 06:40 AM
I have been looking into replacing the antenna as it looks terrible.

Principal
09-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes, all calis have the long mast. We replaced ours with an 18" black one. Much more gooder. ;)Where did you pick up that antenna? I'd like a more gooder antenna as well :X

ashram
09-25-2006, 09:27 AM
there is an ongoing thread here
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800

various pics and info are spread throughout....

here's mine with a 17" black antenna i bought locally for $17 (a dollar an inch!)
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7114/im002025ue8.th.jpg (http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im002025ue8.jpg)

Xtreme Thunder
09-25-2006, 12:23 PM
You sure about that? I have that Sirrius thingy and I don't believe I have a fin.

Can someone confirm me on this...it may not be a "fin", rather a smaller flat black piece on the roof toward the wing for Sirius.

Poor choice of words on my part.

Fitz
09-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Can someone confirm me on this...it may not be a "fin", rather a smaller flat black piece on the roof toward the wing for Sirius.

Poor choice of words on my part.Confirmed! I've seen the shark type antenna on some bmw's and other cars. I happen to like the Sirrius antenna that is on the Caliber.

Xtreme Thunder
09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Confirmed! I've seen the shark type antenna on some bmw's and other cars. I happen to like the Sirrius antenna that is on the Caliber.

Thanks Fitz!:)

Harley
09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
there is an ongoing thread here
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800

various pics and info are spread throughout...
Thank you for posting this; there are several previous informative discussions about this topic (that can be located with the search feature) and that contain links to where to buy the optional antennas.

This one mentions and pictures the "shark fin" style antenna; however, I don't believe anyone has found out whether one is available for the Caliber yet:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037

09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Where did you pick up that antenna? I'd like a more gooder antenna as well :X

Picked mine up at Canadian Tire yesterday. Stainless steel Black. Comes with all the adapters. Took 5 minutes to replace and looks so much better.

coastal cali
09-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Here it is, straight from the manufacturer's 5 thousand + pages service manual.

ANTENNA-SATELLITE

DESCRIPTION

The satellite radio antenna is secured by adhesive foam and retainers which protrude through a hole in the roof
panel. Two wires from the antenna are connected to the body harness above the headliner.

OPERATION

The satellite radio antenna receives signals from orbiting satellites and sends these signals to the satellite receiver
module. The satellite radio antenna must have open space in which to operate. Items carried on the roof, parking
inside etc. can have an effect on the antenna’s ability to receive signals.

coastal cali
09-25-2006, 02:29 PM
And yet there is more.

ANTENNA BODY AND CABLE

DESCRIPTION – Fixed Mast Antenna

The antenna body and cable are secured below the fender panel by the antenna cap nut through a mounting hole in the side of the right front fender. The primary coaxial antenna cable is then routed beneath the fender sheet metal and through an entry hole in the right cowl side panel into the interior of the vehicle. Inside the vehicle, the primary coaxial cable is connected to a secondary instrument panel antenna coaxial cable with an in-line connector that is located behind the right end of the instrument panel. The secondary coaxial cable is then routed behind the instrument panel to the back of the radio.

DESCRIPTION – Roof Mounted Antenna

The roof mounted antenna is a combination antenna that is used for the reception of Amplitude Modulation (AM) frequencies, Frequency Modulated (FM) frequencies and Satellite signals for the Digital Satellite Radio. The primary coaxial antenna cable is then routed through an entry hole in the roof panel into the interior of the vehicle. Inside the vehicle, the primary coaxial cable is connected to a secondary instrument panel antenna coaxial cable with an inline connector that is located behind the right end of the instrument panel. The secondary coaxial cable is then routed behind the instrument panel to the back of the radio.

Michael K.
09-25-2006, 04:25 PM
If you don't like the stock "mast" antenna, you could always do what I did:
http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/9614/stripes3xz8.jpg

Airik
09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Picked mine up at Canadian Tire yesterday. Stainless steel Black. Comes with all the adapters. Took 5 minutes to replace and looks so much better.

How much and do you know the Model?

09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
It was the only model they had in stainless steel black. All the rest were chrome and retractable. Cost about 15 bucks. Let me know if you still want the brand name. I'll dig the package out of the trash. :)

High-Calibur Driver
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd like the brand name. I was gonna get the 13" one from e-bay but alot of people said they were sh*t. I'm gonna go take a lookee at Can Tire today and see what i can find.

LuckyBoy2007
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
I noticed the Pontiac G6 has a "shark fin". I bet this antenna will be standard equipment for 2008.

09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
I'd like the brand name. I was gonna get the 13" one from e-bay but alot of people said they were sh*t. I'm gonna go take a lookee at Can Tire today and see what i can find.

Its called an American International.

Principal
09-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Picked mine up at Canadian Tire yesterday. Stainless steel Black. Comes with all the adapters. Took 5 minutes to replace and looks so much better.Cool, I checked one Canadian Tire out a couple weeks ago, but didn't see any. I'll have to check a couple other C.T.s in my area. I wasn't sure if they had them.

High-Calibur Driver
09-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Yeah .50... i found a 13" stiff antenna in black that is a perfect fit on the cali! i only checked one CT store and found it. I think it is called a "booster antenna" Cost less than 15bucks. I'm stoked, it looks good...i'll post some pics tomorrow when she comes back from tint.

donsmith
09-26-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm guessing that there's no satellite radio service in Europe. If I'm right, then Dodge can put a nice looking shark fin radio antenna on the roof of European-bound cars because there's no chance it'll ever have to share the roof with a satellite radio antenna which can cause interference.

Since the satellite antenna works best with a clear view of the sky, it has to go on the roof for best performance (about three inches forward from the rear hatch) and the radio antenna is best located well away from the Sirius antenna on the right front fender.

Dodge can't practically put the shark fin radio antenna on the roof of U.S. models that don't come with satellite radio and then switch the radio antenna location to the fender for those cars that do get factory satellite radio. Besides, if a U.S. buyer gets the shark fin model then it's much more difficult to install after-market Sirius. Remember, you don't want both antennas on the roof.

I have two Calibers. The black one didn't come with Sirius but I had it installed by the dealer. It looks and acts exactly the same as the Sirius in my white Caliber that came installed at the factory.

Sleazy
09-26-2006, 07:39 PM
I finally found the Sirius antenna.

I thought it was just a trim piece to cover the hole usually covered by the European shark fin.

Fitz
09-26-2006, 11:38 PM
[quote=donsmith]I'm guessing that there's no satellite radio service in Europe. If I'm right, then Dodge can put a nice looking shark fin radio antenna on the roof of European-bound cars because there's no chance it'll ever have to share the roof with a satellite radio antenna which can cause interference. Great answer donsmith! That explains why they don't have the hideous "long mast" antenna's. I once asked if the European's got Sirius, but got no replies from them. I guess they thought I meant serious, and since most of them are rather serious, they thought I was just another silly Texan who said Sirius as opposed to serious. Kind of like nucular as opposed to nuclear. But seriously, thanks for the explanation, it did clear up a lot of things, Siriusly!:D Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Swoop
09-27-2006, 04:22 AM
There is no such service like sattelite radio over here, which is most definitely the reason for the rather short roof-antenna we have on our Calibers (if we are able to find a Caliber though).
And I am pretty serious about this fact, being one of those pedantic Europeans myself.

Nevertheless, you guys on the other side of the pond can still make the best out of those whips by adding one of these >>>>

http://www.prankplace.com/images/kittens/2/sgtfreedom.jpg

or

http://www.prankplace.com/images/kittens/front.jpg

I'd stay with my short, little roof mounted antenna on my CRD meanwhile :p

Harley
09-27-2006, 09:50 AM
My competitive bodybuilding days are over, but I'd be tempted to get and display one of these:

http://www.bodybuildingfanatic.com/lilbuffs/mrbuff.jpg

UN4GTBL
10-08-2006, 09:27 PM
For what its worth, for somebody who does not have sat radio and wants the antenna on the roof, (like myself when I get mine) the Dodge Nitro has a roof mounted antenna on it. Does not the Nitro have a Sat radio as well? I'm curious about how they did this, will have to ask the next time im at a dealer, it could probably be installed on the back of the Caliber. **Disclaimer** - I do not reccomend this to anybody, as this is just an observation, but if somebody who knows what they are doing and wants to try this, or knows that it does/does not work, then let me know