Caliber SRT-4 in the snow? [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Caliber SRT-4 in the snow?

brady
01-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Thinking about getting a CSRT4 for a winter car, any thoughts?

How are they in the snow?

grimmey71
01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
It has traction control. I live in michigan but will get good snow tires next year.

leesrt
01-17-2008, 05:24 AM
It would not be my choice for a winter car in Canada. I would get a WRX or just a plain Impreza.

The tighter suspension and surgey HP will make it want to slide. You can put snow tires on anything but if I was picking a "winter" car, that wouldn't be it.

xlimodriver
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
At least the torque steer won't be so noticable in the snow.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dcjredline
01-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Ummmm yeah, are you really serious asking if a PERFORMANCE car would make a good winter car?

It'll prolly be ok but not the ideal or even CLOSE to good in the snow.

Munch
01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
It would make a TERRIBLE winter car. I have one. It snows every other day here in P.A. I don't drive it because it just doesn't like snow. Traction control doesn't do jack. The car wants to slide and spin tires all day even with light pedal effort. Get something AWD and be done with it. SRT4 makes an excellent summer car :D

John.G
01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
On the day I picked mine up (Monday), I drove back through the Cascades (Snoqualmie Pass) to Seattle. The mountain pass had plenty of snow, and it was snowing heavily. Traction tires were required and trucks required chains. Coming down from the pass the temperature went up to about 35 then shot back down to 32. The weather changed to snow and sleet with white-out conditions. There were several vehicles off the road.

Luckily I brought with me and had the dealership install a new set of Blizzaks. With the traction control and appropriate driving, I had no problems in the snow whatsoever. I just returned my lease which was an AWD Escalade, so I expected problems, but I had none.

I am puzzled as to why you would buy this as your "winter car". Why wouldn't you get some sort of equivalent AWD vehicle?

BTW, you can't put chains on if you needed to (i.e. if they are required to cross the pass), as the manual states that there isn't clearance and that they should not be used.

dano
01-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I live in northern Illinois and have already driven through quite a few snow storms. Especially the one we had on New Years eve. The SRT4 did very well thanks to the ESP/BAS. Its pretty crazy actually.

On a snow packed road, you can crank the steering wheel side to side and when the ass end starts to kick out, the ESP/BAS straightens the car right out. Weird feeling.

Flooring the car from a dead stop in the snow it just takes off. The ESP gives the car just enough power to go without loosing traction. As you get going, more power is applied to get you up to speed.

This is something that really concerned me, but so far snow conditions have not been an issue for me.

dcjredline
01-18-2008, 06:38 AM
But none of you bought it FOR a winter vehicle did you? The question was is it a good winter car and that answer is NO. Is it a good all year car the answer seems to be "Its OK" with the proper tires and driving. Which I am still suprised about because of the HP.

Unoriginalusername
01-18-2008, 08:17 AM
ms3 with winters goes through snow just fine, get the srt4 and winter tires and you'll be fine

John.G
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
It was his post #1. I think he was trying to get a rise out of us.

dano
01-18-2008, 06:20 PM
But none of you bought it FOR a winter vehicle did you? The question was is it a good winter car and that answer is NO. Is it a good all year car the answer seems to be "Its OK" with the proper tires and driving. Which I am still suprised about because of the HP.

When I first read his post that is the way I interpreted it too. I figured that I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

For just a winter car, I would have to agree that there are better cars out there for that.

brady
01-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the input. I like Dodge and I like performance. I use to drive a srt-4 as my year rounder (tires changed based on season) and it seemed to be ok. I currently have a quadcab 4x4 pickup for the winter vehicle. Best winter vehicle I've owned but... the gas consumption is higher than I would like. The lease comes up at the end in September so I am considering my options. A Dakota is nice but if I had the csrt-4 I could dabble in performance modifications during the summer months. It was a blast with the srt-4, heck I still have the meth injection and a gt35r sitting in the garage. Even with stage3 the srt-4 did better in the mileage department than the truck does. Lets be honest, there is maybe only 3 days during the winter when we get a heavy snowfall in the GTA. With that I could get away with winter tires on my summer car but I don't want to.

Obviously this is not the ideal winter vehicle, after owning an Impreza 2.5RS I know that, but if people are doing fine with it (as indicated in the previous posts) then I'll consider this vehicle.

Again thank you for your help!!

edit: I am not trying to get a rise out of anyone, I am seeking opinions and advice

JSRT4
02-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey Brady, don't buy a csrt4 because I don't have any more parts to sell you, he, he, he, ;) I got myself back into the srt4 scene again after selling my last generation srt4. I went the family car and SUV route for a bit, but thought the Caliber srt4 was a nice package. I think if you get a CSRT4 and leave the ride height alone, put on some winter rims and tires you will do fine. The traction control and stability program are a nice feature, they don't solve all traction issues but they are a big step upwards. The new 6 speed tranny puts you at lower rpms in most situations when cruising so you don't have as much wheelspin as the last generation. Plus the new electronic throttle kills a bit of the throttle response so the accelerator isn't as sensitive to throttle inputs. The base csrt4 has front air bags, side curtain airbags, and knee bolster air bags, so the safety factor is highly improved. I got the optional side seat air bags on my csrt4 on top of the standard air bags, so it's even that much safer. This is a big consideration when you have a family like we do. If you end up crashing you've got a rechargeable flashlight to help you out as well, he, he, he :) , just kidding. I got the navigation system package with Uconnect cellular phone connection and satellite radio, so the interior comfy factor on the new csrt4 beats my old srt4 all to hell. Fuel economy is up as well, so I can't complain. I'm lovin it. Hope all is well with you and your family, best regardsJoey (from London)

GreaseMonkey
02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I bought mine in January and have been driving it since in Michigan here. As long as the snow isn't deep enough to come up to the uni-body "frame," it will do pretty well even with the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on it thanks to the ESP system.

With snow tires I'm sure it would do very well, however a snow tire/wheel package is $1200 thanks to only being able to go as small as an 18" wheel due to the brakes. If you want your TIPM system to work too, it's another $200 for the sensors. At that point, it's almost worth it just to get a winter beater.