How many years must parts be available [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: How many years must parts be available

silvercal
02-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Here's a real tough bunch of questions for Caliber fans --
How many parts are there in a Caliber - SXT Sport - 4 cyl - auto - CVT2 ?

How much would all these parts cost if bought separately.? If you
had a Caliber built from all these parts, bought separately I gather
that would make it the most expensive Caliber in the World...

How many years must Dodge supply parts for the Caliber. I might keep
this car a long time. Years ago I heard that car Manufacturers had to
keep parts available for only 8 years. Is this correct ???

Oh, and by the way, in the USA new car buyers of Dodge Calibers
have a lifetime powertrain warranty (not available in Canada, darn).
But would these warranty be of no use if the parts are not
available after 8 years.

HICal
02-06-2008, 08:13 AM

available after 8 years.

I would expect the drivetrain parts to be available for a while but not body parts, drives up the cost of inventory. Plus we live in a disposable world where if it gets to costly to repair you just toss it out. With the lifetime warranty I would not see much problem however if it's beyond their ability to repair or not cost effective expect them to cash you out, prorate. When the cars value is worth close to nothing don't expect much parts to be around.
Cost of parts, take a microwave oven's touch panel, in some models that part alone cost more than the appliance itself, crazy. Fast moving or parts with a track record are normally stocked for a long time, years?

boostedvan
02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
It all depends on supply and demand. There are some parts that are availible after 15+ years, yet others become unavailible after a few years. I ordered brand new Front Fenders for my 93 Ramcharger from my dealer about 3 months ago and there was still 100+ left out there. However trying to find a couple interior trim pieces for my 98 Neon I found out they were discontinued.

Exhaust Depot
02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
by law if i recall they need to make parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued

silvercal
02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
by law if i recall they need to make parts for 10 years after the model is discontinued

Gee I hope your correct. Im in love with my caliber,,,
if it wears out Id probably buy another one, but this
time an SRT V10 with the viper engine

NEW2DODGE
02-15-2008, 06:29 AM
lifetime powertrain warranty does not apply to SRT models.

'08 Caliber R/T
02-15-2008, 07:06 AM

I was thinking the same thing. The dealer may not stock it, but they can get their hands on a genuine part, what ever it may be.

GreaseMonkey
02-18-2008, 05:38 AM

DING DING DING we have a winner! You don't win anything though. :D

Parts warehouses will stock parts for every single vehicle ever made by that company, up to a certain point. I think it may be for 50 years. Warehouses will end up liquidating those old parts though.

So in a GM parts warehouse somewhere there are still parts sitting on the shelf for 50's and 60's model year vehicles.

modernceo
02-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Parts that are high enough in demand, say, pistons/rods/bearings/gaskets/sensors will be produced/inventoried for a long time. Usually at least 10-12 years +.

Heck, I can still get factory parts for my 95 Neon ACR from Mopar.

Granted, some things that there isnt enough demand for, like touch up paint, floor mats are no longer available, but think, my Neon is now 13+ years old, and to still be able to get sensors, gaskets, etc from Mopar sure is nice!

available after 8 years.

Michael K.
02-18-2008, 08:04 AM
The popularity of the vehicle will also influence how long parts are available. The more popular the car, the more parts will be available for a longer period of time. My other car is a '96 Nissan Altima. The 1st gen Altima was a very popular car and there are still a lot of them on the roads today. Because of that popularity, I have not had a single problem finding a stock part for my Altima, be they interior trim or engine parts. If the Caliber is a popular car, you'll have no problem finding parts years down the road.

Harley
02-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Plus: consider that some parts may be used in one or more other models that continue production, had or may have a longer/larger production run, or that may end up having more parts demands in the future by owners of those other vehicles.

OrangeRT
02-18-2008, 08:37 PM
In the real world of ordering parts when a supplier goes out of business and the die or mold is lost so is the part. If it is a HOT part and it carries for several years they may spend money to reproduce, if not TOO BAD!

Today's business world is so unstable that Mfgs. can promise all they want about parts availability, but if the supplier is gone and they see no future demand for the part they will NOT spend the money to have it remade.

Many parts for cars that are under 8 years old are long since discontinued and will only be available until the supply runs dry.

Anybody remember 1979 when MOPAR was dumping stuff left and right BEFORE they were bailed out!?!?!? Granted slightly different, but........