Key Copy [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Key Copy

MrTyke
05-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Like most people (I'm sure), I make a copy of the driver key and put it in my wallet for that "just-in-case episode". I did so with the Caliber. The key worked just fine in the door and smoothly went into the ignition. BUT, that's where all the smoothness ends. It turns the ignition but fails to keep the engine ignited. The first time, I thought it was something that I did. I turned the key and the ignition sputtered...and that was it. I removed the key-copy and put in the dealership key and the engine properly ignited with the turn of my key.

This has turned out to be a win-win situation. I went to the self wash, car wash. With that wonderful sound system, I wanted to listen to my music while I removed all that pollen and bird-slick. I put in the key copy and turned the ignition to accessories. There was no worry about someone slipping into the driver seat while I was bent down working on the wheels. Actually, there was no worry that anyone would be able to drive away. :) Anyway, I thought I'd share that piece of information.

I suspect with a high degree of accuracy that there's a chip in the dealership key that identifies itself to the vehicle electronic ignition system.

Tyke

For remote starter information, please read the replies. This thread developed into a good deal of information related to the potential problems remote starter systems.

Harley
05-01-2006, 05:44 AM
...I suspect with a high degree of accuracy that there's a chip in the dealership key that identifies itself to the vehicle electronic ignition system...
Yes - check it out in the owner's manual. It tells all about this, and describes your situation perfectly about what happens if the copied key doesn't have the chip, or if the chip isn't coded properly.

Obtaining the chip-equipped and coded keys from the dealerships are rather expensive, though. From what I recall, you can purchase a chip-equipped but UNCODED key from the dealership (for probably less than a coded one), and then code it yourself by following the instructions in the owners manual.

An UNCODED spare key carried in the wallet, etc is ALSO fine (and INexpensive) for situations where you have accidently locked the CODED key in the car. You can simply use the uncoded key to manually unlock the door, and thus gain easy access to your coded key with no special effort.

Silverfox
05-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I'd be careful, though, that you don't continuously try to start the car with the copy. If memory serves me right, if you do it three times the PCM will lock the engine out and you'll need to take it to the dealer to unlock it. :(

Harley
05-01-2006, 07:26 AM
I'd be careful, though, that you don't continuously try to start the car with the copy. If memory serves me right, if you do it three times the PCM will lock the engine out and you'll need to take it to the dealer to unlock it. :(

Good point; I believe the owner's manual also clarifies/verifies and explains that...

DodgeGirlKathy
05-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Yes - check it out in the owner's manual. It tells all about this, and describes your situation perfectly about what happens if the copied key doesn't have the chip, or if the chip isn't coded properly.

Obtaining the chip-equipped and coded keys from the dealerships are rather expensive, though. From what I recall, you can purchase a chip-equipped but UNCODED key from the dealership (for probably less than a coded one), and then code it yourself by following the instructions in the owners manual.

An UNCODED spare key carried in the wallet, etc is ALSO fine (and INexpensive) for situations where you have accidently locked the CODED key in the car. You can simply use the uncoded key to manually unlock the door, and thus gain easy access to your coded key with no special effort.

FYI, this chipped and coded key thingy is called the "Sentry Key". Been on DCX products for years, but usually only the highest trim level. Very cool that they made this a standard feature on the Caliber!

Trivia: Prior to the chunky "all in one key plus remote keyless entry fob" that we have now, you could identity Sentry Keys from non-Sentry Keys by color- keys equipped with Sentry Key had a gray grip on them, and non-equipped keys had black grips.

DodgeInfoCenter
05-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Like Kathy said this system has been implemented for many years with good success. I would not be surprised if this feature eventually became standard on all Dodge vehicles (http://www.dodge.com/mktcode/index.html?pid=Forum&adid=Caliber_FI_Auto&actionURL=http://www.dodge.com/) in the near future.

Each of you might want to check with your insurance companies to see if you qualify for additional savings since the vehicle is equipped with an immobilization device. (Usually saves more then just alarms).

For those who leave your keys on a hallway table or hanging next to the door, you may want to reconsider where you stash your keys. It is actually easier for a thief to break into your home and steal them rather then try to compromise factory security systems. Many are doing just that.

Also, if you are thinking about adding a remote start system please consider the following:

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System is not compatible with remote starting systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and loss of security protection.

Just a friendly heads up for everyone.
Dan

Xtreme Thunder
05-01-2006, 06:39 PM
The chips are a pretty penny from the dealer though, quoted me a little over $100 for the one for my Neon a year ago, I was like :eek:

You really only need the one with out the chip to get into the car to get the chip one out if accidently locked inside, just like many have already said...

katiescaliber
05-01-2006, 07:10 PM
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System is not compatible with remote starting systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and loss of security protection.

I'm confused. Does this mean you might have problems using the factory key if you put in a remote start? :confused:

caliber4whoosh
05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Exactly. :D

DodgeInfoCenter
05-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm confused. Does this mean you might have problems using the factory key if you put in a remote start? :confused:

A remote start system requires a transponder to be located within the vehicle (uncut yet programmed key). So when the key is turned/remote start activated, the transponder will provide the correct code to the ignition and the vehicle will start without interference from the Sentry Key system.

When you install a remote entry system you bypass the portion of the security system that checks the transponder for the correct key code.

Dan

katiescaliber
05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Now I'm even MORE confused! I had planned on putting a remote start on this because I have it on my current car and love love love it. But it is a ten-year-old car with no programmed keys and whatnot.

So, what happens when you "bypass the portion of the security system that checks the transponder for the correct key code"? What does that mean?

Principal
05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
So, what happens when you "bypass the portion of the security system that checks the transponder for the correct key code"? What does that mean?I've been wondering that too. I see Mopar has a kit for it on the Dodge.ca site that you can select. On the Charger forums, some people were having some trouble with the car shutting down.

I'd really like to have a remote start, though I think I'd rather keep the security feature intact. Unless I've got the idea behind these things wrong. As i understand it, the key is attached to the car somewhere under the dash and it is hardwired so the car always gets the proper code when starting.

OrangeRT
05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
It makes it slightly easier for thieves to steal your car. Get good insurance and don't let it worry you.

If they want your car they WILL take it no matter what and by whatever means they can. Don't be afraid to get remote start because of this!

My opinion only.

DodgeGirlKathy
05-03-2006, 07:56 PM
...As i understand it, the key is attached to the car somewhere under the dash and it is hardwired so the car always gets the proper code when starting.

That's how I interpreted what Dan wrote too.

umf
05-03-2006, 11:23 PM
The Mopar remote unit will be fine though...right? I made a mistake and never ordered mine with it and will have to get my dealer to install it afterwards :-(. Will probably cost me quite a bit more i'm sure!

DodgeInfoCenter
05-06-2006, 01:24 PM
From what Ive read in literature and other experiences during our forum adventures is the only part of the security system that is effected is the transponder module. Even if the transponder was disabled/bypassed the thief still has to break into the vehicle, disarm the alarm and start the vehicle (key or rewire).

Check with the dealership parts/service (not sales) and ask very specific questions about the remote start. For all I know they might have re-engineered the Mopar system to work along with the sentry key transponder for the 2007 model year.

There seems to be two systems available that do similar things but say two different things. You can see for yourself on Mopar.com (http://www.mopar.com/) but here is a quick copy/paste job.

Remote Start
Mopar has a fully integrated, OEM tested remote start system that allows you to start your vehicle from as far away as 800 feet with just the push of a button. Imagine starting and warming your vehicle from your place of work or home on cold winter days or cooling the same vehicle on hot summer days. Mopar's Remote Start system is designed to work with your Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicle and interface seamlessly with your vehicle's electronic, security key.

Content Details:
82208859AB Module Kit contains the base electronics module for under-dash mounting and a complete fuse kit. For complete system, also order vehicle specific installation kit.

Remote Start Installation Kits
Remote Start Installation Kits are the vehicle specific components needed to install the Remote Start Module Kit (82208859AB).

Content Details:
Installation kit includes harness, long-range antenna, key transponder interface, software cartridge, hood tilt switch, two mini one-button keyfobs, install and operating instructions and hardware.

EVS I - Vehicles with Keyless Entry
Enjoy the convenience and peace-of-mind of electronic exterior and interior vehicle protection with Mopar EVS I Security System. Specifically designed to addsecurity features to your existing remote keyless entry transmitter.

Content Details:
82209706 EVS I Security System operates with production RKE. Complete kit includes unique vehicle harness and offers perimeter/interior protection with horn-honk alarm, starter interrupt and dash-mounted LED. Cannot be used on vehicles with Mopar Remote Start.

EVS II - Vehicles without Keyless Entry
Enjoy the protection of electronic vehicle security with Mopar EVS II Security System. The System offers exterior and interior protection and includes two, two button keyfob transmitters to arm and disarm the system.

Content Details:
82209716 EVS II for vehicles without RKE. Complete kit includes vehicle harness and offers perimeter/interior protection, horn-honk alarm, starter interrupt and two keyfobs to arm and disarm the system. Can not be used on vehicles with Mopar Remote Start.

In the end you may want to discuss this thorougly with your dealer and test the system if you choose to install it. Take a cut, yet unprogrammed key (or even a cheaper non-chipped key) and try to start the vehicle. If it starts and stays on, then the transponder has been bypassed.

Sorry for the long post and for the record, I am a little confused myself. :(

Dan

katiescaliber
05-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info!

caliber4whoosh
05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
+2, Thanks Dan! :D

Principal
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I thought of a question earlier while starting my car....

What do you do with your key when you remote start your car? Just leave it out of the ignition all together?

DodgeGirlKathy
05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
I thought of a question earlier while starting my car....
What do you do with your key when you remote start your car? Just leave it out of the ignition all together?

That's a darn good question.
And related to that, since the key needs to be in the ACC or ON position for the power outlets to work.... ??

zasbury25
05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
That's a darn good question.
And related to that, since the key needs to be in the ACC or ON position for the power outlets to work.... ??
I don't know if it is the same for the Mopar remote starts, but for all of the Viper remote starts I have had, you stick the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position and then press the brake to disengage the remote start to resume normal operation of the car.

caliber4whoosh
05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Oh, that would make sense. We should get Dan in here to clear this up.

DAAAAAN!!! :D

DodgeGirlKathy
05-11-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't know if it is the same for the Mopar remote starts, but for all of the Viper remote starts I have had, you stick the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position and then press the brake to disengage the remote start to resume normal operation of the car.

oh see, I didn't know that. I've never used a remote starter, or been in a vechicle started by one. thanks!

endeavor
01-08-2007, 04:28 PM
hey guys.. i purchased a viper remote starter/alarm awhile back but have yet to have it installed because i needed that bypass module (the little box you put a coded key into and mount under your dash).. ive got that now (available at most car electronic stores, best buy, etc) but now ive realized that.. dun dun dun.. the key i have is TOO BIG to fit inside the module (because of the keyless entry).. so i went to my dealership to try to order a coded key without the keyless entry and they say that it doesnt exist. I was looking around on ebay and i found a blank key with an unprogrammed sentry-key transponder (to program yourself) that is supposed to work with the caliber for $15.. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ordering 3rd party transponder keys.. and if anyone else has run into this problem with their remote starters.

UN4GTBL
01-08-2007, 04:42 PM

I know for a 04 dakota it is more than 3 turns with an unprogrammed key:o, both me and my dad have tried to start the truck with a $1.50 canadian tire copy before lol, needless to say it turned off with in 10 seconds lol

UN4GTBL
01-08-2007, 04:51 PM
hey guys.. i purchased a viper remote starter/alarm awhile back but have yet to have it installed because i needed that bypass module (the little box you put a coded key into and mount under your dash).. ive got that now (available at most car electronic stores, best buy, etc) but now ive realized that.. dun dun dun.. the key i have is TOO BIG to fit inside the module (because of the keyless entry).. so i went to my dealership to try to order a coded key without the keyless entry and they say that it doesnt exist. I was looking around on ebay and i found a blank key with an unprogrammed sentry-key transponder (to program yourself) that is supposed to work with the caliber for $15.. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ordering 3rd party transponder keys.. and if anyone else has run into this problem with their remote starters.

I've bought a oem key off ebay for our caravan so that i have a key for it, cost $20 bucks shipped and i programmed it myself and it has worked problem free so far, the key doesnt say dodge/chrysler on it but instead says "strattec" on it which is apparently who dodge gets their keys from

Sleazy
01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
I bought two blanks from a seller named "daywlker7". I had them cut at the local hardware store, and programmed them myself. Both transponder keys work.