Kicker 200 Watt Subwoofer Upgrade [Archive] - Dodge Caliber Forums

: Kicker 200 Watt Subwoofer Upgrade

Marco
07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a 2008 caliber with the base audio system (waiting to receive my 4 doors kicker upgrade 6x9) and i'm questionning myself about the Kicker 200 Watt Subwoofer Upgrade. Did a need a amp for this sub or this upgrade have already one in the kit ?

I just dont understand how i'm suppose to power this sub, a amp in the kit ? a integrated amp ? a amp i need to buy in a other kit ?

Part # 77KICK14AB

Thanks !!

Sorry for my bad english, i'm a french canadien :bigthumb:

hwc2243
07-16-2008, 05:32 PM
I have a 2008 caliber with the base audio system (waiting to receive my 4 doors kicker upgrade 6x9) and i'm questionning myself about the Kicker 200 Watt Subwoofer Upgrade. Did a need a amp for this sub or this upgrade have already one in the kit ?

I just dont understand how i'm suppose to power this sub, a amp in the kit ? a integrated amp ? a amp i need to buy in a other kit ?

Part # 77KICK14AB

Thanks !!

Sorry for my bad english, i'm a french canadien :bigthumb:

The official description says features include a 10" subwoofer, enclosure and 200 watt amplifier. That would lead me to believe it is included. I think that this is the same subwoofer that comes in the CSRT and as sad as it is, I haven't actually looked to see where the subwoofer amp is. I believe the amp in the back by the spare tire well is just for the other speakers and the sub is separate. Perhaps its inside the subwoofer enclosure.

UPDATE: I just walked out to my car and confirmed this see http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=98582&postcount=21

blacks10
07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
where are you getting the upgraded components from?

Marco
07-16-2008, 06:05 PM
UPDATE: I just walked out to my car and confirmed this see

Thanks, in the installation manual, for the sub upgrade, you have to run a wire for the power from the batterie and you have to make a ground. But nothing is said about the amp. Thanks for the answer, it really help me. Now that i know there a amp in it (just in case i asked by email the seller if the amp is really in the box) i can't wait to see the sub in my hand:bigthumb:

Marco
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
where are you getting the upgraded components from?

From leeparts . com

I buy my 2 sets of 6x9 (the kicker upgrade) from there for 99.90$ and my local dealer in canada was asking me 219.00$ for the exact same parts. The 2 sets, with shipping, and everything cost me about 270$ at my door ! The dealer way would have cost me 170 $ more ! I think i'm gonne buy all of my parts from US website, canadian dealer are not in the race for the price !

'08 Caliber R/T
07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I see that there is a kicker amp that you can purchase as well. One would hope that the wire are already ran for this stuff.

Marco
07-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Damm, i just got a answer for the guys at leeparts.com and they tell me that there no amp in that kit !

Dont know what to do now, anyone have asked question directly to kicker about the upgrades ?

hwc2243
07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I haven't asked anyone directly but several websites that sell it list a 200 Watt amp. I would check with someone else or call Dodge/Mopar.

'08 Caliber R/T
07-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Lee parts is selling a kicker amp. Why not get that one?

Item Details:

• 8 Channel
• 368 Watt
• Image May Not Be Exact
• Covered by Mopar's 12 Month/12,000 Mile Parts and Accessories Warranty (US Customers Only)
• Available for 2007 Dodge Caliber (if it works on the 2007 it will work on the 2008. Nothing significant changed to the audio system on the 2008 models)

Item# 77KICK18AB

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_caliber/accessories/audio/kicker_amplifier_upgrade.html?

leesrt
07-18-2008, 10:30 AM
I would have suggested you don't go with the factory anything for an upgrade but it looks like your way past that recomendation.

Any audio part that is made for the manufacturer is going to be severely overpriced for what you get.

I don't know how much your paying for all this but for $600 I could have put togethor a system using your factory receiver that would have sounded way better and allowed you to remove it and return the vehicle to stock when you sell it. Then you can take the same componants and use them in your next car.

Marco
07-18-2008, 06:37 PM
I would have suggested you don't go with the factory anything for an upgrade but it looks like your way past that recomendation.

Any audio part that is made for the manufacturer is going to be severely overpriced for what you get.

I don't know how much your paying for all this but for $600 I could have put togethor a system using your factory receiver that would have sounded way better and allowed you to remove it and return the vehicle to stock when you sell it. Then you can take the same componants and use them in your next car.

I totally agree with you on all that. And i dont have spend 1 $ on the sub kit for the moment, i just have done the 6x9 upgrade at the moment. I'm currently thinking on what iM going to do, and my biggest concern is the amp. What i like about the kicker sub upgrade (if the amp is in the box) is that i dont have to space a amp in my car and that the sub box out of the car in a couple of minutes (with 1 kid, i need the more space i could when we travel). With all aftermaket parts, i just dont know where a could put the amp. Like i just said, i what the more space, and mounting it on back of rear seat is not a option for me, and i cannot put it under front seat (i live in quebec, and there a mass a snow in winter:) . So i just dont see where to put it, that my concern about aftermarket parts, where to put that amp to get the most factory look possible.

For the records, i dont want a badass amp/sub kit. My last kit was 2x12 kicker comp vr with a alpine v12 (600watts) and that was too big for me. I just want a little 10 with a little amp, 200-300watts. Any ideas about a aftermarket amp in that range that i would be able to hide somewhere ?

Thanks !

Marco
07-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Lee parts is selling a kicker amp. Why not get that one?

Item Details:

8 Channel
368 Watt
Image May Not Be Exact
Covered by Mopar's 12 Month/12,000 Mile Parts and Accessories Warranty (US Customers Only)
Available for 2007 Dodge Caliber (if it works on the 2007 it will work on the 2008. Nothing significant changed to the audio system on the 2008 models)

Item# 77KICK18AB

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_caliber/accessories/audio/kicker_amplifier_upgrade.html?

This is really a upgrade beacause you have to take that amp and put it at the place of the factory amp. Since i dont have that base amp, i would have to run all the wire because i dont have any wire in this area to run this amp ( i checked). And when you read the installation manuel, there nothing about putting new wire, so the kit is really just and amp using the original wiring of the original amp.

This product is very not for me !

thanks anyways

hwc2243
07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
This is really a upgrade beacause you have to take that amp and put it at the place of the factory amp. Since i dont have that base amp, i would have to run all the wire because i dont have any wire in this area to run this amp ( i checked). And when you read the installation manuel, there nothing about putting new wire, so the kit is really just and amp using the original wiring of the original amp.

This product is very not for me !

thanks anyways

Here is a good write up that ResumeSpeed did on installing a kicker system into his GCSRT8. Not quite the same vehicle but his subwoofer description and wiring match the one for the caliber so I would be highly surprised if it isn't the same deal (i.e. the amplifier in the box). In addition, the actual product kicker literature describes the subwoofer as a "fully loaded setup that just needs to be wired". Not too mention that at $475 thats a lot for just a subwoofer and an enclosure. I'll crack mine open in the next couple of days and picks of everything for you.

Marco
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
I received an answer from the support team of kicker and they confirm that the box have an amp inside.

Black Sleeper
07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Marco,
if the part you are looking to get is really the OEM kicker system for the caliber srt-4, the amp is separate from the sub enclosure.

PS: are you a member on clubsrtquebec.com?? If not, you should register........there is a lot of good information and also vendors with really good pricing!!

:wave:

egk69
07-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I was told, by the dealership, and a ebay seller (that contact dodge) , that the Kicker Subwoofer kit, includes the AMP for it, which its 200w, and its supposed to be inside the subwoofer box.

hope that help

BTW: I didnt even read this compleatly ,just read someone said the amp was apart...