Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Lightning Bolt...Limp Mode...Traction Control Light...Help!

163K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  Ryan Rutter 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I was driving on the highway, and a Red Lightning Bolt started to flash on my dash, and the car immediately lost power while driving, and went into a limp mode from what I could tell. While limping on the side of the road, and red light still blinking, the Traction Control Light came on as well. I managed to get over enough, throw the hazards on and turn off the car. I waited a few minutes, and turned the car on, and things seemed fine. I proceeded to drive and BAM! It happened again!

I managed to get myself turned around and stopped at a gas station. Turned the car off, and had a phone call with my Dad and Mom, about the issue. I then decided to come home, with problem still occuring. Every gear, I can gain maybe 7-8mph and 40mph being the highest in 5th gear. I managed to limp a little closer to home.

My Parents called back, and said to shut the car off, and leave it alone for 5 min+ and then turn it back on. I did just that, and the problem seemed cured, and I drove home. Once home, I proceeded to reset the battery (like the nsrt4s) I let it sit for about 5 minutes unplugged and reconnected the battery. Started the car, and the problem is back without having to drive, and it is idling at 1.5k and sounds real horrible.

So I unplugged the battery again. and came into the house, to come post this thread, and hopefully find out what may be the problem. The car is already out of warranty at 38,883 miles.

Also, the only thing the car has is a K&N Drop in Filter (from like 35k ago) and a muffler delete (like 30k ago)

So can you guys PLEASE help?

Gabriel

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
moparcrzy - this car has never seen race fuel. And as far as I can tell, the way the fuel light is, that is how it has always on and off when starting up. By looking at the manual, it says the lightning bolt, means Electronic Throttle Control. I dunno, what could have broken this, or what controls the ETC (I am guessing the PCM)

But all in all, I have a broken car. I am out of work, thanks to my back surgery, I am still somewhat recovering from and out of warranty.

Needless to say, I am in the slumps at this moment, and wish for an easy fix to occur.

3:51PM: Started the car again after sitting for 20+ min and still doing it...

#6 ·
after driving it a little, something I have noticed, is that car is stuck idling at 1.5krpm, and the boost gauge is reading -10vac consistently through each turn on and shut off.

Could some have failed with the throttle body? Something Stuck? I am just looking for answers and all, would love some real feedback from realtune or whomever.

#7 ·
I really don't have any ideas for you, but have checked for all piping and solenoids are still connected?

#8 ·
what are your mods? clamped?

#11 ·
Do you have a code reader? Also try posting a underhood video.
There is a recent post where the gears for the throttle body was worn down.

#12 ·
i do not have a code reader, however when i click the key three times, it doesnt give any outright codes and just says --d0ne--. Nothing in my routine has changed at all. Using the same 91 gas I have always used and so on. The only thing I can think is something is wrong with the throttle body. I am going to try my best to take off the intake and look at the TB tomorrow.

My local Dodge over here sucks ass and charges for everything, including trying to get help for this situation.

#14 ·
Glancing through the manual, not finding too much yet, but here is one thing I am sure you dont want to hear regarding one of the codes that could be set. Even though you have no codes this kinda sounds like what you are experiencing:

² Set Condition:
Internal PCM failure. Vehicle may exhibit an extended cranking condition, limited performance, and a rough
idle. One trip fault and the code will set within 5 seconds. ETC light is flashing.

#15 ·
So if that IS the issue, which is a strong possibility. It would obviously mean replacing the PCM. Now I know Dodge will cost me an arm and a leg for a stock one, however, would it be any cheaper to go the S1 PCM route? I know it seems like a copout to go faster, but I just want to get this fixed properly and pronto.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Depending on how much money you have right now, i would say put a stage 1 in there, and see what happens

I doubt that the throttle body is bad, there are too few miles on the car, and i think it would be something else before that..

#18 ·
#20 ·
sometimes it pops on me a couple time a week, then nothing for months. If it wasnt for my scan gauge I would be pissed like you. The only thing is I should still take mine to the dealer for a check out.

#23 ·
you know, thats a very good point

have you tried to recalibrate the throttle by the slowly pushing the pedal trick in thing?

i know it probably wouldnt do anything, but couldnt hurt to try

#24 ·
Yeah I gave the Pedal Dance and chance, and it is a no go. I just called my Local dodge, and they said 79.95 plus tax for a diagnostic, since I am no longer under warranty. At least then, I could find out what is wrong.

Lets just pray and hope the dealership does not come to me with an outrageous claim...

#26 ·
Car is still sitting at Dodge. I am about to call them to see what is going on.

EDIT: Just called Dodge, and they said, they have been on it for about 2 hours, and are unsure of what is going on. They said they will call me when they figure it out.

What a way to make me worried...

Only 79.99 for a diagnostic charge? When i put my srt rims on, and the tmps light started flashing(due to a bad sensor) i called them before i knew what the problem was, and asked if it would be something thats covered under warranty, because they are technically factory rims.

They told me that if it is the car causing the fault, then it would be covered, but if it was a sensor, it would be a 110 dollar diag. fee.

I told them(literally) to eat **** and id figure it out on my own.

Obviously, you are in a bit of a different position, but still pisses me off that your dealer is cheaper :rofl:

Anywho, keep up updated man, i want to know whats going on with the car:beerchug:

#25 · (Edited)
Car is still sitting at Dodge. I am about to call them to see what is going on.

EDIT: Just called Dodge, and they said, they have been on it for about 2 hours, and are unsure of what is going on. They said they will call me when they figure it out.

What a way to make me worried...

#27 · (Edited)
Well, I just got the car back, and the car seems completely fine!

I am going to type what the dealership service paper says...

MELLOY DODGE SERVICE said:
"CUST STATES ETC LITE IS ON AND TRAC LITE IS ON AND VECH
HAS NO POWER
ROADTESTED VECH. PERFORMED DIAG TEST WITH
STARSCAN FOUND THROTTLE BODY STICKING/BINDING

CUSTOMER REQUESTS WE CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY
RECURRING MAINTENANCE
WE CLEANED THE THROTTLE BODY"
So needless to say, they said there was major binding and there was a lot of buildup in the throttle body. Carbon and Oil based sludge. I am more than guessing it is due to the K&N Air Filter. I am thinking of going back to stock filter, and waiting until I get a real CAI or something.

So for those of you who have this problem happen, give your Throttle body a good cleaning and hopefully that cures your problem!

Gabriel

#29 ·
Well, I just got the car back, and the car seems completely fine!

I am going to type what the dealership service paper says...

So needless to say, they said there was major binding and there was a lot of buildup in the throttle body. Carbon and Oil based sludge. I am more than guessing it is due to the K&N Air Filter. I am thinking of going back to stock filter, and waiting until I get a real CAI or something.

So for those of you who have this problem happen, give your Throttle body a good cleaning and hopefully that cures your problem!

Gabriel
Think about what you just typed from the service paper....

1. How does oil and carbon get into the throttle body?
2. Are you driving through an oil sludge field everyday on the way to work?
3. Did you see oil deposits on the K&N Filter?

1. You should have answered PCV System... Positive Crankcase Ventilation.
2. You should have answered NO.
3. You should have answered NO.

Reactions: Sky
#28 ·
Its funny, the only time i had the problem with the idle dropping was with my k&n filter on. When i took it off to clean it, and put the stock airbox back, my idle was fine. After i cleaned the filter and put it back on, it kept getting worse, so i took it off..

Good to know man...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.