Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Headlight Issue: High beam works, Low dont

17K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  The Answer! 
#1 ·
I have a 07 Dodge Caliber with a Bi-Xenon HID Kit, 10k... Last night my lights would not turn on. Turned the car off and on and still didnt turn off. waited a few minutes and still didnt turn on. Eventually i tried my Highs and it worked, so i drove home with them. first time this has happened.

Any way to fix it.? I've been looking around and have unhooked the battery all last night, didnt work.

#3 ·
You've pissed off the CanBus System.

It reads the Voltage coming from the Headlights, and tells the cluster whether High Beams are operative.

You need to run stock headlight wattages... or else the CanBus is going to get aggrevated.

Running a "Xenon Kit" in a Halogen Headlight Housing is a big No No.
You are wasting more light than you are using to see the ground.
That wasted light is blinding on coming traffic... which is another reason the CanBus is telling you are running High Beams.
:icon_flaming:

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#4 · (Edited)
My son is having this problem. I would like your opinion on a possible long term solution.
Could we/he add a 5 ohm ballast resistor in line with each xenon light and 'trick' the system?

Note: 5 ohm would be to much but I dont know the numbers for his current lights so cant do the math needed to come up with actual numbers. Just guessing the low beams are 55 watt bulbs.....

edit: I dont know what kit he is trying to use, I just know i saw the car with them one night and the kit cost $150. He did this maybe a week ago.

#5 ·
I just bought an 07 Caliber as well and had this issue. I had it for about 5 days and I took it to get a PCM flash update from the dealer. Thursday night, the low beams wouldn't work until I turned them on and off a few times. Hasn't happened since so I wonder if it was a computer issue reconfiguring itself...

I'm coming from a 10 year history of driving only Saturns so I'm slowly learning everything about the Caliber and its issues from here.

#6 ·
I am as well having this issue the other night i went to leave and had no low beams. so just wondering what it could be because sometimes i will pop the hood turn the lights just a hair and they will come on. i have to do it to both. When the issue first started it was only one headlight and when i went to change the bulb it came on both low and high now they both are doing it.....help

#8 ·
I find myself having the same problem with my 07 sxt. However I have factory headlight bulbs in. Sometimes they work and sometimes they will be stubborn and not come on at all. Unfortunately I have no warranty left on the car and have had it in 8 times in the last 8 months and it is pretty much a quick fix that gets done and then a week or two later they go back to acting up again. I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

#9 ·
My answer!!!

This recently happened to me as well! I tried replacing the bulbs, cables , etc...
I looked up a car electrician, and guess what? It turned out to be ERROR CODES for the headlights! He cleared the codes, and just like that I saved myself from replacing a "bad TPIM" Hope i've saved people money that shouldn't be wasted on something so cheap. I didn't even go to a dealership, i'm not too trusting. Go to a good, honest electrician who can do you the favor of clearing those codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.