Dodge Caliber Forums banner

ABS light coming on

78K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Ray_Ray 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Caliber that I bought new. I have around 36,000 miles on it. Last night on the way to work, the ABS light and chime came on. I pulled over, shut the car off and then turned it back on. The light flashed on as usual during starting, then went off and stayed off for the duration of my drive (about 15 min).

On my way home this morning, it came on again. I read in the manual that the brakes themselves will operate, but the ABS thing may be the problem.

Looking it up on the internet, I read alot about a speed sensor, and having the car hooked up to a computer to see what was needed.

My questions are: Is it going to be safe to drive for a few weeks, as I do not have money for a big fix.

Is the computer hook up one of the free types I hear about from advanced auto or pep boys or will it cost me?

Is the recall I read about with the 07 caliber abs system in any way connected to the light being on... or would i have noticed braking issues if my car needed recalled for that?

sorry for so many Q's but i am a 45 year old female with not alot of car knowledge. thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
I would *assume* that the ABS features won't work, but your brakes will still work, just as standard brakes.

But I'm not 100% sure. I don't have ABS on my car. Our van is actually the first vehicle that we have bought with ABS...so i'm not sure of all the ins and outs of it.
^^ shorter version of my long winded answer. No panic, just won't have ABS feature.

#3 ·
Based on the information you provided, I would say it's the ABS speed sensor.
I have not had to replace any on my 08 SRT Caliber, but on our 07 Grand Caravan... I have changed 3 so far. I think this is the first I have heard about an ABS sensor issue on the Calibers though.

If it is the case (which I believe it is), it is failing (not 100% failed yet). When the light comes on solid every time you start the car, it's completely dead. (As mentioned above, I've been through this a few times.)

What this means for you;
If your ABS speed sensor fails 100%, you lose your ABS. Your brakes will function as normal, you just won't have ABS (as if the car wasn't equipped with it).
If your ABS sensor is acting up as it is now, drive like your car is not equipped with ABS. It'll be a pain during winter driving as it it'll be there sometimes, and not others.

Long story short, I wouldn't panic about it. Change the sensor when you can. If you don't mind turning a wrench (or enjoy it like some of us), it is easily replaced by removing the tire, disconnecting the old and installing the new sensor.

#5 ·
This happens occasionally to my car, but I cannot get it to duplicate for the dealership. My Challenger had the problem I duplicated enough to get a check engine light and they replaced some abs part, and its went away now.

#6 ·
my wifes 09 started acting up.dealership said passenger front abs sensor showed up on code.just got part today for 33.00 with shipping just got to put it on.beats 75.00 that they wanted.i figured cant be hard.changed some on a blazer before.just cant believe how loud the grinding,pulsing noise these make when it acts up.

#7 ·
an issue a lot of people fail to notice about abs light issues.

I have owned and repaired several vehicles that had cracked the geared cog that goes around the axel. When this happens the ring can move and the abs sensor gets a reading that the tire is slipping. this can cause abs lights and braking issues .

Hell I've even seen the entire ring come off .. just something else to keep and eye on

#8 ·
an issue a lot of people fail to notice about abs light issues.

I have owned and repaired several vehicles that had cracked the geared cog that goes around the axel. When this happens the ring can move and the abs sensor gets a reading that the tire is slipping. this can cause abs lights and braking issues .

Hell I've even seen the entire ring come off .. just something else to keep and eye on
That may be a potential problem for the front sensors. I know my 07 GC, it was the rear driver wheel that went most of the time.
On a bit of a side note, once the warranty was over, I did replace that sensor myself and it has never come back.

#9 ·
I am having the same problem with the abs light coming on in my 085 caliber. Had the computer hooked up to it and was told the sensor was not getting a solid connection due to dirt behind it. After getting the dirt cleaned off and getting it home it was only two days before it started coming on and off again. Now it is staying on. Time for a new sensor?

#10 ·
Does anyone know of a code reader that will read and diagnose the faulty speed sensor? I contacted INNOVA and they said they do not currently have one on their line. Having trouble finding much info about this and would rather not pay the dealership $100 to just read the code. Thanks!

#11 ·
My 07 Caliber SXT has the ABS indicator on solid. Its been illuminated for over 8mths. I use manual breaking system, no problem as the Caliber is the first car I've owned with ABS. I must admit though, the light on the dash is annoying lol..

Anyways, I've hooked up a carMD and it wouldn't connect to my 2.0L engine. I'm not sure what type of engine I have. This carMD connects only to OBDII type engines. So I'm thinking of looking around and seeing if a local parts store can check it for free.

Is the ABS difficult to fix, or work on?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.