Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Gas light on.. How far can you go?

52K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  08sunburst 
#1 ·
Just curious since I bought my CSRT how many miles I could go once the light comes on? It's still stock.. I know my NSRT could go about 26 miles once the light came on.

#19 ·
Yep, in tank fuel pumps use fuel to cool themselves. I've seen pumps burned up from running the tank low all the time. The best mechanic I've ever known said that it's in your best interest to never go below 1/4 tank to help prevent this from happening. I try to hover around that mark as close as possible and rarely go past it. In tank pumps are a bear to replace.

#7 ·
There should be about 2-3 gallons left when the light comes one. I wouldn't push it though.

#10 ·
on mine the light comes on a little bit less than 1/4!, that's a lot of gas left!

I know I've run with the Needle on the bottom some miles dont know how much, I can measure it the next time i see it there, that happens to me very frequently hehehe

#11 ·
It's okay to run it low, but definitely avoid running it dry. Of course, you have to do that once to figure out where "dry" is. Or just pretend that the ding means "Caliber needs food, badly".

Usually I can drive to and from work once with the gas light on. Which is meaningless to everyone but me.

#12 ·
It's okay to run it low, but definitely avoid running it dry. Of course, you have to do that once to figure out where "dry" is. Or just pretend that the ding means "Caliber needs food, badly".

Usually I can drive to and from work once with the gas light on. Which is meaningless to everyone but me.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#14 ·
ive run dry and had to push the car good thing it was in town and only had to push it about 250yards so it wasnt that bad. the only reason it happen was there was an emergancy and i knew i had to get gas but had no time so on my way back from the emergency it just stopped at a red ligth lol

#16 ·
i been at least 30 miles with it on. i dont like doin that tho...:icon_eek:

#23 ·
3 scenarios for me

I've run into 3 different scenarios for me but not much help.

1) Scanguage said fuel left 1%
2) I thought the manual said 13.4? gallons in a tank. One fill-up (that I recall) after the light had been on for a while and was almost past the E letter, only filled up 12.6 gallons.
3) I was at a friends house and my car wouldn't start and couldn't figure out why. I finally remembered I was on E. Turned out the slant of her driveway caused my car not to start cause such low fuel? I didn't know that could happen honestly but I let out the ebrake and rolled onto the main road. Once my car was level, it started.

The 2.5 gallon comment makes sense to me cause I have mostly city travel and at roughly 19/20 MPG for me, I go 30-40 miles on the light before I fill up. When I do fill up, it still has 1 - 1.5 gallons left.

#24 ·
Okay I was driving back from Florida on my way back to Illinois.. Alright so I am driving and waiting for my next or my last fill up to get back on.. So the gas light is not on I am driving figured I go further and I did. I passed up a gas station and kept driving. Well before I know it ding yellow gas light is on, I was like oh boy now I have to fill up now. So yeah not a gas station in site on my GPS I even zoomed out quite a distance on my GPS. So I am driving and my fiance at the time was like we better not run out of gas lol. I was like no we are good, so driving and more driving dont see a gas station. Time passes and so do the miles and I hear another ding.. This time its a red gas light... I was like oh boy this is not good... another 5 miles later I make it to a gas station... at that point I am sure I was running almost on fumes... So yeah if its yellow your good, red get gas immediately.. I am sure I drove a good 30 miles... Now once the red light came on I down shifted and did 45 miles per hour... I got passed by cars that I was blazing past earlier in my drive lol.

#25 ·
Just curious, how did your car do gas mileage wise from florida to il?

I have a friend that lives in FL, and i want to go and visit her some day, just wondering how many fill-ups it took

Also, i wonder if the standard model has a red gas light that comes on too.

Is it in the same spot as the normal gas light, and it just turns red?

I know my gas light comes on at a little under an 1/8 of a tank, and when i fill up as soon as the light comes on, it only takes about 10.5 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.