Dodge Caliber Forums banner

How much can I get a 2007 Caliber for?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  '08 Caliber R/T 
#1 ·
My girlfriend needs a new car bad. And my local dealer has 9 2007 Calibers left. Ranging from 19k - 24k. How hard pressed do you think they'd be to sell these? How much do you think I can talk them down? 1-2k or more? Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

#2 ·
A lot will depend on the demand for Calibers in your area. Back in '96 I bought a new Nissan Altima at the end of November. Since they were trying to get rid of the '96 models and make room for the '97s, combined with the fact that the teperatures in Fairbanks, Alaska had been -40F for two weeks and nobody was walking around car lots looking for cars when it's that cold, I was able to get a $23K car for $13K.

I don't know if you'll be able to knock off $10K o an '07 Caliber, but you should be able to get them to come down at least $5K if you negotiate properly.

Keep in mind, many dealers (depending on the state) have to pay taxes on any cars that they cary over into the next model year (i.e. any '07 cars they still have on the lot when '08 rolls around). That is usually incentive enough to get many dealers to be more lenient on their prices at the end of the year. If they take off the same ammount they'd pay in taxes from the purchase cost, they see that as breaking even.

#3 ·
Well you should be able to get them down at least $1,000 if they're really concerned about getting rid of them, which they should be to make room for the 2008 models. If you have a trade, that will typically hurt your negotiations.

I don't think you'll be able to get them to come down any $5,000. The dealer doesn't even make only about $1100 or less off each Caliber sold, depending on the model.

#4 ·
I knocked off right around $3,000 in 2006 Oct. The car was just delivered to the lot and not even prepped yet. I had my deal done in about 15 minutes, just told them what my deal was (asked nicely). My saleslady was really nice and she gave me the heads up on it.
At first they offered me a trade in on my 98 Neon R/T but I said it is not even a consideration. I really like the Neon and close to 100,000 miles and not a visit to the dealer except for the head gasket recall, super reliable. Plus I was looking for a second car without a stickshift.
Try for $3,000 and see what happens, like what '08 Caliber R/T said the 07's will have to be moved for the 08's.

#5 ·
As per magazine tips -- you need to show the dealer that you will walk
away if they do not give you a fair price. If your eyes glaze over with
love for a specific car they will detect that and they figure that they have
you hooked.

Comparison shop , the same car might cost thousands less if you try
different dealerships. Dont tell them you need a car immediately,
again they figure they have you hooked.

To get a deal be flexible on car colour, options it has.
When comparing cars be sure they are the same. At one dealer I saw a car
I liked, it was new said the salesman, but it was a new one year old model.
So I had to stand back and decide if the salesman was dishonest or
just not listening to me, that I wanted to buy a new, current year car.

If you intend to buy a new one year old model car, it is crucial that you
figure out what the car's value will be in 1 - 2 - 3 years compared to buying
a new current year car. The average depreciation is 80% of what you paid for a car when they are 4 years old with 50,000 miles (80,000 KM) if
the car is a GM / Ford / Dodge. The Japanese cars do much better in
less depreciation.

#6 ·
It will also depend on the model that you are buying.

For an SE I would think $15,000 US would be a reasonable price to pay for a new 2007.

For an SXT $17,000 US

When I bought my 2007 SXT I paid $18,000 CAN but that was in 2006 long before the dollar moved to parity.

You can probably do a search on the threads since I recall some posts from US residents who talked about the prices they paid back in 2006.

#7 ·
if i were you and you really want one...buy it used and hammer em on the price...most 07 models are being bought at auctions for 9-11k$ depending on model...i bet you could get a sxt for around 12-12.5 $ ...there are about 750 of them forsale at the dallas auto auction as of last week.....that is alot of supply...demand is not that high for these anylonger.

honestly I steer people away from the caliber unless it's a steal of a price...car is worth way way way to much the second you drive it off the lot...like i have stated in the past. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DOMESTIC ever again.

#8 ·
Just go to Dodge.com and build one (you can still do so for the 2007's) then check the various local inventories against what you want. I did so and found most in the Philly, PA area are already marked down $2400-2700 without even walking on the lot.

You may want to check out these resale #'s in this post though and seriously reconsider based upon their pretty terrible resale values:
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=67904#post67904

Good luck!!

#9 ·
boostdog said:
if i were you and you really want one...buy it used and hammer em on the price...most 07 models are being bought at auctions for 9-11k$ depending on model...i bet you could get a sxt for around 12-12.5 $ ...there are about 750 of them forsale at the dallas auto auction as of last week.....that is alot of supply...demand is not that high for these anylonger.

honestly I steer people away from the caliber unless it's a steal of a price...car is worth way way way to much the second you drive it off the lot...like i have stated in the past. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DOMESTIC ever again.
Well just because you don't like yours doesn't mean you have to make everyone else not buy one. Remember...this is a Caliber forum! ;)

#10 ·
Back in March of 06 we bought our R/T AWD for about 19,000.

I just went to the dealer today for early turn in on our lease because mileage is pretty high. They are going to eat the mileage and the last 5 payments with selling us an 08 R/T AWD with more options.

Looks like out the door 19995 plus tax (somewhere around 23,000 list I think it showed). Same color with sunroof PLUS sirius, six cd, heated seats, and evic. All which we don't have. This time we buy it outright.

235 per month comes to $1175, and the mileage 12,000 over @ .15 comes to $1800. SOooooo $1975 that I DON'T pay plus about $3000 off sticker. PMTS will go up a bit unless I chop it with a down pmt.

The wife thinks it's a good deal. She loves the car so whatever makes her happy makes me happy!!!! They also have an SRT4 on order due in any day that I get first shot at if I like it.

#11 · (Edited)
Alley said:
My girlfriend needs a new car bad. And my local dealer has 9 2007 Calibers left. Ranging from 19k - 24k. How hard pressed do you think they'd be to sell these? How much do you think I can talk them down? 1-2k or more? Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.
19-24K?!!!! WTF?!:eek: I paid $15,600 for my SXT 4 months ago in Omaha. It's probably worth about 12k now. They are trying to rip you off. I wouldn't pay over 15k for an SXT now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.