Dodge Caliber Forums banner

spark plug gap

25K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  slick 
#1 ·
so I went to the track today and the best I ran was a 14.49@99.38 with a 2.394 60'. All I have is a muffler delete, k&n, and iridium plugs gapped at .040. Is that too big of a gap? Could it be hurting me?

#2 ·
i gapped mine at .040 at first but dude i realized that is a MONSTER gap for a turbocharged car.and it worstened my no gas take offs. i couldnt get completely moving by just letting out the clutch . theres no need to a gap that big i dropped mine down to .035 and it got better. 2cents

#4 ·
what hurts you during launching is having a high power fwd vehicle on street tires. 1/4 mile tracks are setup for rwd or awd vehicles that use slicks. Last time out at the 1/4 mile track I couldn't break 14.6 secs. On the street I would run 14.0 secs because I get full traction on street pavement whereas I get lots of wheelspin at the 1/4 mile track.

I run a .035" gap, .040" won't hurt you much on stock boost levels but it could if you increased boost levels in the future. I found .035" felt a bit smoother so I stuck with it after trying out a few different gap settings. I wouldn't attribute your slow runs to the spark plugs though, it is mostly a traction issue when you run at a track.

#7 ·
i havent gotten any missfires but im scared i might be getting slight blowout. i know driving is key but i was also worried if the big gap would cause bogging during launching. next time i wil try lowering my tire pressure. i did have esp off.

#8 ·
my car is gaped a 0.40 its ok no problems

speed 3 killer ----->

#9 ·
i went half way .035, seems about perfect.

#10 ·
.040 in my NGK Iridium IXs. Way better over stock, much better idle and response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.