Dodge Caliber Forums banner

front end noise

7K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  IndyCSRT4 
#1 ·
alright, here's the issue thats got me a little nervous to beat on my car. took a trip to pitt. and back, about 500 miles, and parked the car for the night. the next day i went to leave i started to pull out and as i turned my wheel i heard clunking noise. sounds almost like intercooler pipe banging off something. it doesnt do it all the time and does it when i turn right or left. i tried to find the noise and haven't yet.:icon_flaming: does anybody have issue?

#3 ·
I've looked and only found threads on lca bolts. never got a recall for that. i checked them anyway and they seem to fine.

#4 ·
It might be suspension related, hard to say exactly what it is without seeing it. But mine will do that after sitting for a bit, it is usually the brakes clunking as the vehicle is moved first thing in the morning. In cold winter weather the brakes actually freeze to the rotors and in those circumstances it makes a real loud clunk. If it only happens once upon first use and doesn't occur regularly throughout the day then I wouldn't worry too much about it, otherwise you'd have to get the dealer to check it over.

#7 ·
the brake thing is a good idea. but, it has done it when driving and taking a turn. its gonna be really cold tonight, so i will let it sit and try tonight.

#5 · (Edited)
A little more specific would help. Do you mean when you turn the steering wheel or when you begin to turn the wheels? Is it when they begin to turn or as you are turning out of a parking slot? Is it a single clunk or a repeating clunking as you continue turning? More exact description yields a more accurate trouble shooting diagnosis. Try again please.

Reactions: DvC
#6 ·
when the wheel is turned left or right as i start to move. its not a single clunk, its more like 3 to 4 in a row. it sounds like an intercooler pipe banging off something. 99% sure its not cause i had the bumper off and checked out. cold side pipe was ready to fall though. fixed that but didnt fix the problem. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

#8 ·
I never had a recall for the LCA bolts either and I had been under the car to check them all. Had the stealership check it when I brought it in for other "issues" and they "found" the recall for the bolts. They had them all replaced and the clunking sound has never returned since then. Mine was a similar clunk on take-off with the wheel turned right or left. A hard straight-line launch produced the clunk as well. Like I said....nothing now. I know some peeps don't want to bring their cars in to a dealership no-matter-what, but hey, sometimes you just can't avoid it!

#9 ·
is their a VIN for recalls or do i have to call the dealer were i bought it?

#10 ·
I dont get the clunk in a straight line or all the time. just once in awhile. whats wrong with the lca bolts anyway?

#11 ·
Straight line clunking never happened on a regular basis...only on a very hard launch. The turn-and-launch was very frequent. The bolts were supposedly "stretched" and needed replacing, at least on my ride anyways. I'm sure if you want to be certain, phone up your dealer service and I'm sure they can pull up any info with your VIN. When I was in for other service items, before my car keys ever left my pocket, they were able to pull up all the info including the LCA recall. There was also a recall for the washer fluid staining that was happening on the rear window. The only recall I ever received in the mail was for the emissions/PCM flash. I have no idea how their priority rating goes but I would think the LCA recall would be more important than emissions bull. Ah well, go figure....

#12 ·
Thanks for all the info.:bigthumb:

#13 ·
Mine has started making the clunk today. It does it when I pull out left or right from a stop. I can actually feel it through the floorboard too. I've had the LCA recall done previously.

#14 ·
So your saying you got the recall done and then it started making noise?

#17 ·
Yes. They had the entire crossmember out of mine when one of the nutplates stripped during the recall bolt exchange. I'm thinking something needs retorqued. It has not made the noise since the other day too.

#15 ·
i'd be pissed:icon_flaming:

#16 ·
quick question, i got a recall for the H32 reflash and ignored it cause my ms1 is on its way. what i want to know is if i take my car with the ms1 in to the dealer to get my LCAs done will they try to reflash my pcm without asking? i dont want that reflash done to my stock pcm cause i see people on here say it does bad things.

#20 ·
You tell them, "Dont flash my car. This is a warning" You can tell them the reason why you dont want them to flash it also. They have to ask you b4 they perform anything on your car. I know for a lot of people here they have taken their cars in for something else and when they take it out the dealer tells them that they performed the h32 recall on their car. This is against the law to do this without knowledge and consent of the owner of the vehicle, whether or not the recall is mandatory.

#18 · (Edited)
I know what your issue is and I had it

Go to your dealer and tell them about the noise. Then tell them that you know its your LCA (lower control arm) bolts that are either lose or have to be change. Also, tell them that your bestfriend that also has an CSRT4 had the same issue and took it in for that. There may finally be somewhat of a recall on those bolts in the CSRT4. If they change them and your car still makes the noise then dont worry cuz the repair is under warranty. And look at it this way, now you have retorque LCA bolts which is always a plus. Just sry for the part where you have to leave your car over night. lol.

In a sec I will past a link of the issues I was having if I can find them. You need to read through everything to make sure that these are the same issues and what I said earlier is what your problem is.

If what your experiencing is a totally different thing, cuz I still havent been able to read the whole thread, then forget about everything I just said. LOL.:beerchug:

#24 ·
Thanks again:bigthumb:

#25 ·
My car is making the sound too. I planned on taking a look when I install the coilovers this weekend.....

#27 ·
FYI - I tried getting under the car myself as well (not for coilovers though :mecry: ) and torquing pretty much everything in sight, all to Dodge specs. Nothing worked. Until of course it was brought in for the bolt replacement. And the H32 flash did no harm on my vehicle.
Git 'er dun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.