Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Electronic throttle control

18K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  scottyp9 
#1 ·
I have recently had an issue with the ETC light flashing on as soon as the gas pedal is pushed enough to put the car in boost. I have searched this problem and havent found my exact situation or answer.

Here's the things I've noted.

Only happens once the car is in boost, drives perfect without boosting.
Only code is a p0420, assuming because my car has no cat.
The RPM's don't fall when the problem occurs, but the boost gauge will drop significantly as the car starts to lose power.

Where should I go from here? I have read of issues with the throttle body but unsure what exactly to look for. I called a local car repair company and they asked that I clean the throttle body, however I haven't seen that being an issue in searching so not sure if there's an benefit. thanks for any input.

#6 ·
Let me share my experience.

The first time I had the ETC red light turned on I took the car to my trusted tech. They scanned the car and found out 3 error codes. Told me to change the gas pedal. I asked to not do that but instead I wasked him to perform the periodic tune. Sparkplugs, injection cleaning and filters change.

The problem went away after the computer reset and car tuning.

10 days later the ETC ligth started, lost power and I took the car inmediately back to the shop.

The scan returned only one error code. Gas Pedal. I bought the original replacement part (mopar) for about USD 60.

It´s been one day without problems now. ha. Let´s hope it stays that way.

#7 ·
I've been having issues with the ETC for awhile. I've gone through 2 throttle bodies in 4 months. When my car died last week I thought it was the PCM, but instead the code was reading fuel injectors, had them cleaned and replaced.

Car died again yesterday, got it towed to a Dodge dealership and they replaced the spark plugs and flashed/updated the computer.

So far so good but like the poster above me, I'm only a day in lol.

#8 ·
My 2008 caliber r/t fwd with a kn air filter just started having same problem. Dealer was convinced it was the accelerator pedal sensor and replaced the whole pedal only to find out it still has the problem. All this after waiting a whole day because they ordered the right part but for the wrong vehicle. Last thing they suggested was a short in the wiring somewhere. Still waiting

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.