Dodge Caliber Forums banner

How do you keep this thing clean/black !?

17K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Dion01 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys If theres one thing that I hate about our cars is the black plastics on the roof, but worst than that is the black trim on the doors right under the windows.

How do you keep that black!?

look at mines

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Oh the joys of black.

A good finishing wax and detailer spray for the between wash/wax times.
I believe egk69 is asking about the rubber trim below the windows.
...Do NOT wax that.

Meguiars back to black, lightly on a sponge or rag and then wipe the rubber/plastics.
Edit: also use it on the top rails. Does wonders.

#8 ·
I use synthetic polish and not wax. Make sure it's the man made synthetic stuff and not the nature made carnuba type of wax. I apply it straight onto the surface and rub out within a minute not letting it set up and dry. If you do let it dry, reapply and wipe off when still wet. Haven't had any problems as I did this to a lot of different cars. It even works great on my Neon's rubber trim around the windshield, rear glass and below the side windows. 'Til this day it still looks brand new and in fact even better.

Reactions: blackbeastsrt4
#13 ·
Carnuba is the hardest wax available but doesn't have the depth of shine w/ one coat that the polymers do. It is an all natural product too!!

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#14 ·
Carnuba is the hardest wax available but doesn't have the depth of shine w/ one coat that the polymers do. It is an all natural product too!!
Hold on here. That statement is kinda off. (I'm a former detailer.)

Carnauba is the hardest wax, correct.
But if your using a quality Carnauba wax, it will produce a better depth of shine than a synthetic. Hands down. Even with one coat, though I myself do several.

A synthetic sealant will produce a hard-shell-shiny surface, but it will not carry that deep wet look that a carnauba will. Synthetic will also out last carnauba considerably, carnauba will only last about 90 days, synthetics can last 6+ months.

So best look: Carnauba, longest lasting: polymer/Sealant

I myself use polymer sealant over the winter since I cant clean my car as often, but over the summer its Carnauba all the way. Waxed about once a month or so.

Hopefully that clears things up a tad.

#17 ·
WELL! Today i tried to apply back to black, and i didnt do sh!t!, haha it just stay the same, I noticed that I could kinda peel off that white thing it haves with my nails, So I had some Scratch X 2.0 and i just polished that trim with it and then i apply back to black to it

It looks 100 times better at least now it looks black again! but i dont know if it looks like when it was new cause i cant remember how it used to look...

Maybe pictures later...

#25 · (Edited)
Just picked up a can of Stoner Trim Shine today. Used it on the roof rail trims, mirror and airdam. It has a nice wet shine but with no greasy residue. Works real easy, just spray it on and no toweling needed. The roof rails looks like it's been painted gloss black. Will see how it holds up but nice first impression after initial application.
http://www.trimshine.com/

#26 ·
you know its funny, i see everyone always complaining about the plastics on the car, but ive never put anything special on them, never use armor all or anything like that, and mine look like brand new...

#27 ·
Day one review of the Stoner Trim Shine.

Started the morning drive to work in the rain. Then spent the whole day parked uncovered in the sun. Because of a nearby construction, the car was covered in a film of dust and dirt. Came home and did a fast wash. Stoner product was still on the black trims and still looked pretty good. Since I did a wash I decided to put on another fast (maybe 30 second) coat to the all the black trims.
I would say this is a great product and withstood a pretty good one day test. Unless otherwise, I plan to use this product for it ease of use and great performance. Worth checking out and highly recommended!

#29 ·
pretty much, that would be the only way to make it stay shiny forever

If mine ever get to the point where their fading, ill probably pull them off, or mask off the areas really good, and scuff them down, clear the window trim etc, and paint the roof pillars gloss black, and clear over that

it would still have the textured look, but would be perfectly smooth

#31 ·
yea but would it stick to the rough textured surface?

#32 · (Edited)
I just noticed a little White build-up on this window molding. i just removed it with soapy water and a toothbrush. it wasnt that bad on mine yet though.

I have used "ICE" and does ok on the roof rails.

That write-up is awesome.... Forever Black? any body else used it??

#35 ·
On another forum many of the guys swear by 303 Aerospace Protectant. They say it is the best for hard vinyl, rubber, plastics etc. I am probably going to get some of this in spring to use on the roof rails and rear roof shade. It is kind of pricey, but the real fussy guys say it's the best. Might be the ticket to keep the black pieces looking good on the Calibers.

Here is a link with some information about the product.

http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html

#37 ·
Thats the nice thing about the Rush, its has the painted/extended shade on the back. But since ours is so new, Im gonna keep using back to black on all the hard plastic NOW, so it doesnt get bad. I will keep an eye on this topic for the future!

#38 ·
Dupli-Color Bumper Coating

Saw this on Truck U recently where the guys were restoring the plastic molded fender guards on a Jeep, seems promising so I picked up a can for 6.99 at AutoZone. Apparently it will restore original look and protect against weather. Seals real nice I guess. I'm away from home at the moment, but will report back with results soon. Anyone else used this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.