Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Front suspension rattles over bumps at low speed?

15K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  b0bberRT 
#1 ·
Can someone direct me to some resources to figure out where my front end rattle/knock may be coming from?

It sounds as if something is clearly worn or loose. When I get under it to pinpoint the issue everything seams tight. I replaced blown out struts recently but didn't notice any other issues while dismantled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Check your tie rod ends and control arms, both of which are known for wearing out very early on.

I just had my control arms replaced last week with 26k miles on the clock.

#4 ·
It really could be anything suspension related or even engine/transmission mounts.

They replaced just about all of my front suspension parts, and I still have a rattle/clunk in the front end, and now they are waiting on a back ordered transmission mount.

But in the past its been the lower control arms for me.

#6 ·
08 Caliber SXT with 76,000 kms.
Just purchased 2 weeks ago certified and e tested. Has a movement in the left front wheel when braking or starting off. Had my mechanic check it and the left lower control arm rear bushing is totaly out. Having new bushings installed on Wednesday and it should be fun to drive again.

#7 ·
Flyball... join the club! Many of us have replaced the Front LCAs.

I have two front arms with bad rear bushings that can be sent (free, aside from shipping) to a new home if someone wanted to re-bush them; or if someone wants to develop an alternate bushing fix. You will find a picture of one of them if you search on my posts...

I also have two Rear UCAs with loose outer bearings that I replaced this past week.

I'll have two Rear Toe Links (Lateral Arms) with worn out inner bushings as well once I can get the rust-seized bushing collars to release from their respective mounting (eccentric cam) bolts on the rear subframe. This is one screwed up installation/implementation! Just a little anti-seize compound on the collars during original assembly would have gone a VERY long way in terms of ease of servicing -- but nooooooo!! . (Are there any line workers from Belvidere watching this forum?)

As a word of warning to all: Next time you have the rear alignment done, have them pull the cam bolts all the way out and juice 'em with ant-seize compound before reinstalling them and setting the rear toe. I've been hitting the bushing collars with an rattle gun (impact hammer) every night for the past 4 days and will continue to do so for at least another week before I try to remove them again. At $64 per alignment shop visit (just for the rear) I'm not going to loosen a single nut again until I'm pretty sure that I'll get the bolts to come out.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.