Dodge Caliber Forums banner

third gear loss of power

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  TechMan 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, i was wondering if anyone was having the same problem as me, in third gear when im on it really hard i lose power for a minute, i dont know how else to explain it... its like its stuck at a certain spot and then catches up with itself. I have already confirmed that it is not an overboost or fuel cut... anyone else have this problem... or any ideas on what it would be? the dealar said it could have something to do with the variable valve timing... and he also said that is should throw a code, but because i have the stage one it may disable that code...

(i know this is posted in the wrong section)

thanks,
alyssa

#8 ·
Without knowing your mods its hard to say. Sounds like the car is pulling throttle.

#11 ·
When does it lose power?
Are you already crusing in third then gun it, or are you gunning it in 2nd, shift at red line and gun it again?
Are you flooring it a low RPM?
Does it do it in any other gears? Doesnt sound like clutch or trans problem, youd hear a noise or have a hard time shifting imo...

Could definately be turbo lag if you arent used to it. The turbo takes a moment to spool up, then you get the kick in the pants.

Try this. Completely stop on a flat road with your clutch pressed in and in 1st gear. Take off by flooring it (without revving it before take off).
You should have a brief moment of powerless. This is normal.

#13 ·
Hello Alyssa sorry I did not get back to you on the other forum. Just a FYI for everyone I am also having a similar issue. I'm going to describe it a little bit differently and maybe you will understand better.

When driving hard sometimes in 3rd gear and 3rd gear only the rpms will jump up but the car hesitates for a second then it finally grabs and the car catches up with the engine.

At fist I was thinking the clutch was going out and was starting to slip on me. But if it was the clutch wouldn't it affect other gears as well?

Now where my issue is different is that I cannot do it on command its completely random and usually during hard driving.

Hopefully we can figure something out.

Back to figuring out what it is. :read:

#14 ·
Its official, for describing the problem you have reached fail status.

Reactions: erich82
#17 ·
Perhaps not the issue being mentioned here but I experience something similar if the a/c is on. Power seems to back off temporarily if under hard acceleration in third right around or just before 5K rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.