Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Dash Lights

17K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  B74ubba 
#1 ·
Driving home last night the backlights for the speedometer and rpm gauge started to flicker and after about 15 minutes died. I called my dealer and they can't take me until next week, it makes it pretty hard to drive at night when you can't see how fast you are going.

Could it be a fuse? The gauge on the left with the fuel display is working fine :(

#2 ·
go to another dealer and see if they can work in earlier. that's lame and corp. should know about this! putting people off when they can't see how fast they are going at nigh! geeez! they could give you a rental until they fix your car i would either push for that or go to another dealer.

#8 ·
Just drive as fast as you want to. When you get a ticket, send the bill to Dodge explaining that the light failure is not your fault and their representatives (dealer) failked to fix it in a timely maner. That should get their attention.

I am in no way advocating unsafe driving practices and by following my advice the driver assumes all responsibility. But it does sound like a good idea to me. :D

#9 ·
Livsmom said:
Driving home last night the backlights for the speedometer and rpm gauge started to flicker and after about 15 minutes died. I called my dealer and they can't take me until next week, it makes it pretty hard to drive at night when you can't see how fast you are going.

Could it be a fuse? The gauge on the left with the fuel display is working fine :(
Try hitting the dashboard. And no, I'm not joking. Could be something as simple as a loose connection, and while it still needs to be looked at by the dealer, it could get you your lights back until you can get to the dealer. You'd be surprised how many electrical problems can be fixed by just using a little physical force. Or as I like to say, beating it into submission. I work on electronics for a living in the Navy. :eek:

#10 ·
hehe I had been living with the dash tapping method in my astro for quite a while till it progressively turned into the "gorilla slap" method.... now i just have no dash lights at all :(

#17 ·
Livsmom said:
A little update!

I'm currently driving a lovely Dodge Grand Caravan with the entertainment package to keep my 3 year old happy. I still don't know what is wrong with the dash, but it is out and sitting on my front seats waiting for parts to arrive!
You took the dash out yourself?
Did you try checking for a bad fuse/ loose connection?
What did you order?
Pictures?:cool:

("Dash tap" use to get the fuel gauge working in my 85 Chevy Caprice!)

#18 ·
Fingernipp said:
hehe I had been living with the dash tapping method in my astro for quite a while till it progressively turned into the "gorilla slap" method.... now i just have no dash lights at all :(
Yes the 'Dash Tap' method can be dangerous without a perfectly calibrated accellerameter (boy I wish i could spell), Too hard you break the lights... too soft it doesn't do any good. It takes years of training to get the proper 'feel'. Of course it would appear HSKR got the USN crash course in it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.