Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Buying a caliber

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Tammy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I'm buying a dodge caliber soon, wanted to know which one was the best model for great performance an looks, but on a budget. I don't know anything about these cars so I need lots of help!!!!

#2 ·
They're all the same. You'll want to upgrade your PCM to the Realtuned MS1K or wait a few more weeks for the MS2K to be released. You could leave it alone after that and enjoy the crap out of it or go crazy. Depends on what you want out of the car.

#3 ·
Dont Buy One

I like Dodge but I will never own a Caliber again. I have a 2008 SE, so far I have replaced the tramission, trans cooler, had 3 sets of tires, every part of the suspension replaced 2x (which caused my tires to cup) and even to this day Chrysler pays for my parts because of all the issues and it is out of warranty. I still have issues today but it's paid off so I am just complaining to Chrysler when a problem arises and getting it fixed. I record every issue online to Chrysler which keeps a record of every service record I have had done. Thats key to prove how often you have problems for the same thing...I've tried the Lemon Law but due to the last issue I had of the same problem, it fell outside the timing to file for it.

That should tell you something!!! This vehicle has major suspension issues and even though others have no issues, it was not the best vehicle Dodge has and I am sure you can find a better one than a Caliber.

Word to the wise, look elsewhere

#4 ·
I like Dodge but I will never own a Caliber again. I have a 2008 SE, so far I have replaced the tramission, trans cooler, had 3 sets of tires, every part of the suspension replaced 2x (which caused my tires to cup) and even to this day Chrysler pays for my parts because of all the issues and it is out of warranty. I still have issues today but it's paid off so I am just complaining to Chrysler when a problem arises and getting it fixed. I record every issue online to Chrysler which keeps a record of every service record I have had done. Thats key to prove how often you have problems for the same thing...I've tried the Lemon Law but due to the last issue I had of the same problem, it fell outside the timing to file for it.

That should tell you something!!! This vehicle has major suspension issues and even though others have no issues, it was not the best vehicle Dodge has and I am sure you can find a better one than a Caliber.

Word to the wise, look elsewhere
On the flip side, I've had 4 Calibers and never an issue with any of them at all. Never been into the dealership for anything. Just because you've had issues, doesn't mean everyone has.

#5 ·
Which is why I made the comment "This vehicle has major suspension issues and even though others have no issues"

Its the same with all vehicles, some have isues some don't. I agree just because mine is crap, yours is not...

But I will tell you this, of all the caliber owners I know (in person not in cyber space) have had issues with their caliber. I'm just saying...definately check out the year, the past histories, the consumers reports and just overall opinions.

Now, here's a thought...I have a lifetime warranty on my drive trans but Chrysler stopped that on this vehicle in the later models, now they have a limited warranty. Hmmm, makes you wonder why such a great vehicle would stop offering lifetime warranties and limit them now, well as history tells you, they had more problems with this than they care to pay for. Hence the replacement of my transmition within the 1st year and then the transcooler the 2nd year.

Bottom line is, its great your car has been good to you; this is only my opinion nothing more than that. :). I am not looking to cross another fellow forum member. I'm glad you enjoy your vehicles

#9 ·
I have a 300 SRT8 also. I like that car much better mainly because of the rear wheel drive and all the luxury features that are missing from the caliber (and my prior Cobra).

I've enjoyed my Caliber (other than the motor rebuild going on right now). It's fast, gets good milage, has plenty of trunk space for work equipment, and my kids fit in the back. They don't get the respect they deserve. I actually get more compliments in the Caliber than the 300. The styling is obviously more aggressive and "in your face".

#11 ·
to be honest, the gas mileage is alright :S i mean it really depends how you drive it. if you dont work the turbo too hard you will get good milage. this is for the SRT4 model though..

I have no idea on the RT, or the SXT model's.

Cheers

#12 · (Edited)
Interesting discussion about buying a caliber, and i really appreciate to above discussion, well recently, i also bought a new caliber car, and i also bought a trailer for my car, and this is my favorite car, no doubt it's one of the best car in the whole world ...

"SRAC Interstate Trailer Hire
11 Northview St Mermaid Waters QLD 4218 Australia‎
+61 7 5572 3913, http://www.interstatetrailerhire.com.au/"
Affordable Prices

#14 ·
Don't purchase

I purchased a Dodge Caliber 2012 with 28034 miles on it with the original factory warranty and also purchased extended warranty. My car at this point is back in the shop once again and has been back at least 8-9 times since. I explain the issues and each time they would say they fixed. Only finding out that they have been greasing the under carriage which is what I call putting a band aid on it. Then I would put more miles on it and find out I still have the same issue when the greasing would wear off.

I bought my Caliber at an alleged "5 Star" Dealer Ship. They are certainly "5 Star" but not what they mean. The suspension on this vehicle stinks. They replaced at different times my strut on the rear. One of those times they put the strut on backwards! :fight: causing me to take the vehicle back again. I found this out when I took my car to a different dealership. They called me and told me about this. So needless to say I had to travel again (eating up my warranty due to miles) to have this corrected.

I am overwhelmed with my purchase and quite honestly I feel I was sold a lemon. If it were possible I would post each and every time I have had my vehicle serviced while still under warranty to this day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.