Dodge Caliber Forums banner

2007 Caliber Accessory Belt Installation

25K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  joe420cc 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am replacing the belt on my 2007 Caliber. Unfortunately I cannot get the new belt to fit. I put both belts side by side and they are the same size (I bought the replacement belt from my Dodge Dealer, so it should be the correct one).

I am attaching a picture to give a better picture (I can post more if needed). Using a crowbar I can get the automatic tension pully to go back almost to the point where the belt will go onto the other pully (see picture) but the crowbar slips since the notch on the pulley isn't too large. I wrap the belt around all of the pully's except for the one above it (see picture).

Can someone tell me if there is a special tool for doing this (to pry back the notches)? Am I doing something wrong, or is it just difficult?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Picture is small but I am pretty sure those notches arent for moving the tensioner. Go to your local AutoZone and get a loan a tool serpentine belt tool. Then see if that makes it easier.

WHY do you need a new belt already?

#3 ·
Don't ask but some oil spilled onto the belt and it was causing it to slip. I figured that the AutoZone serpentine belt tool was nothing more than a 1/2 breaker bar (I already have one of those). Unfortunately I cannot find a square insert on the tensioner to insert a breaker bar, and I can get the tensioner to move when I pry against those notches (it almost move the tensioner completely but then my bar slips).

There really isn't much room to play around with in there (I had to remove all the fluid bottles and headlight to allow me to really get in there).

I have changed belts on other vehicles before but never had this much grief.

#4 ·
This might sound like a lot of work but you can try removing the tire and the splash shield and see if it's easier that way. On some cars I found that the easiest way. Let us know how you did it, Good Luck!

#5 ·
It is a 1/2 bar but it is FLAT and has a couple crow foot wrenches and some SHALLOW sockets in it.
:rolleyes:
Do as you wish, next time DON'T ask for help then just turn down suggestions before even looking into them. "I figured that the AutoZone serpentine belt tool was nothing more than a 1/2 breaker bar"

#6 ·
This might help...​

WORLD ENGINE

NOTE: When installing drive belt on the pulleys, make sure that belt is properly routed and all V-grooves make proper contact with pulley​

grooves.

1. Install the accessory drive belt around all the pulleys except for the generator pulley.

2. Using a 1/2 in. breaker bar, rotate accessory drive belt tensioner counterclockwise until accessory drive belt can be installed on the generator pulley.

Release spring tension onto belt.

3. Remove breaker bar from accessory drive belt tensioner

#7 ·
Thanks for the instructions on the world engine! Unfortunately those are the instructions I have been following :) What puzzles me is when the service manual says to insert the 1/2 breaker bar into the automatic tensioner and rotate. There is no 1/2 insert on the automatic tensioner. In other vehicles I will see a 1/2 square driver insert on the tensioner that you can put the breaker bar in, however the pulley is attached with a 16mm hex bolt. I thought maybe I was missing something.

I have removed the wheel and the splash guard (that was the only way I could easily route the belt around most of the pulleys). I am going to try the other method posted and have a friend using a pry-bar relieve as much tension as possible and I will try to latch it onto the lower pulley from the wheel well. Wish me luck!

#8 ·
Thanks for the info HiCal! My friend came over with a 16mm socket and a thin ratchet. We were unable to get enough room from the top, so we approached it from the bottom and it was super easy to get the belt on. Infact I did it by myself while my friend was on his phone!

So to sum it up I removed the fluid bottles from the top (not sure if this is necessary), and then I routed the belt on all of the pulley's except for the one accessible when the lower splash guard is removed. I removed my front wheel and splash guard so I could insert the 16mm socket on the tensioner bolt from the bottom (this allowed me to fully move the tensioner) and with my other hand I just pushed the belt onto the last pully. Done!

Thanks again HiCal!

#9 ·
And the Autozone tool would have worked a day ago and it doesnt cost a thing either when you return it. :rolleyes: some people have to suffer before they learn to listen I guess

#10 ·
check the lenth of the belt

I had the same problem with my 2007 dodge caliber the belt I bought was to short for some reason.. The original belt was a little longer then the one I bought. I went back to the part store and look up the belt size for the 2008 dodge caliber and that was the problem, the later module of 2007 has a longer belt (2008 module).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.