Dodge Caliber Forums banner

How to remove red Dodge Caliber NAV Instrument Bezel

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dubina 
#1 · (Edited)
I do not know what is under the bezel, so I might remove it and not replace it, or I might remove and replace with a new bezel that is not so "colorful".

The kit ads claim the new kits are easy to install, but I watched a youtube video that showed a guy breaking down his center console for some unknown reason.

Related question:

Are the color-coordinated red cloth inserts removable? I read somewhere that some of these seats might be like seat covers, not built into the seat itself.

Thanks,

#3 ·
@ Squid

Thank you for that advice. I have not bothered to remove the bezel (yet). Not a high priority, but I may get around to it in the Fall. I will keep your link in mind.

I read some links that spoke to the issue of painting. They were largely dedicated to the proposition that everything should be sanded and polished and just so in the end or the finished product would look like a dog's breakfast. Overstated or true, would you say?

#4 ·
Very true!! In order to get the best finish use nothing but #800 wet/dry paper,followed by #1000 ,then #1500 and finally #2000 . Wear thin rubber gloves (ALL the time when handling the part),cuz the open pores of the plastic "WILL" leech oils from your fingers,making it difficult for the paint to stick.After completing the sanding to your satisfaction, wash the part down,do not use laquer thinner or any harsh cems. Personally I find glass cleaner works very good. Wipe dry and allow to air off the part must be completely dry before applying one coat of adhesion promoter. Dries in about 6-7 minutes depending on how much you apply and the outside temp. I have to assume you would be doing this outside in a well ventilated area. Last step would be to apply color coats.No primer needed.Hang the part up securely.Use plasticote (paint made for plastic) found almost anywhere. LIGHTLY dust the paint on (DONT) slather it on, that only causes runs, After 5-7 minutes, again dust the part down. This coat will start to show the color your using. Let that dry 5-7 minutes before applying the 3rd coat.The 3rd coat should be applied evenly with overlapping passes from a distance no greater than what is recommended on the can and allowed to sit overnight. Multipal passes just add thickness to the part and length to drying time.Paint must cure or it will remain soft. which is why one must apply thin coats. The following day,if the part lacks luster (shine) use a soft cloth to remove dust. If the cloth feels rough spots, runs or dirt in the paint, rub it down very lightly with a piece of #2000 paper.Wash part and hang,ready for clearing. clear should be applied in the same manner as the paint. "Light coats"Do not touch the part to test.The end result is only going to be as good as the prep work you put into it. There are no short cuts to a great job. Again wear gloves!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.