Dodge Caliber Forums banner

ABS code 2116 - ABS pump motor supply low voltage issues

30K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sparkobee 
#1 ·
Hello. I’m hoping someone can help with an ABS issue I’m having with my 2009 Caliber SXT 2.0L

Received the ABS code C2116 for “ABS pump motor supply low voltage”. I’m following the diagnostics in the 07 shop manual starting on page 5-253. Walking through each of the steps/tests it eventually moves me to step 7 which is to replace the ABS Control Module.

Steps starting on manual page 5-253:
Step 1. The DTC code is present.
Step 2. No visual damage to wires/connector.
Step 3. The fuses are good. I checked with a multi meter to confirm.
Step 4. It told me to skip this step because the fuse was not open.
Step 5. The test light shined just as brightly touching the battery to ground as it did touching the connector pin to ground.
Step 6. It said to connect the test light to 12 volts, so I just clipped it to the battery. Both connector pins referenced in this step caused the test light to shine brightly
Step 7. Here is says based on previous step results to replace the ABS control module.

I’m fine replacing the module myself but the part is $275 which is tough to swallow (although I’ve read about folks paying $1k for this at the dealer…) and I’m concerned this may not ultimately fix the problem.

My question is could this code be caused by anything else even though the shop manual jumps straight to replacing the control module? Has anybody had success repairing/fixing this code by other means?

Thanks again!

See less See more
#2 ·
So I replaced the ABS control module last night. Now I still have C2116, but now also have code C2206 Vehicle Configuration Mismatch.

The fuses are good. No apparent damage to wires or the connector. I confirmed with two Dodge dealerships I have the right part number based on VIN. I drove the car around over 30mins to see if the PCM would "program" the new module. I followed the diagnosis step by step but didn't solve the problem.

Has anyone else had these problems and found a resolution?

#3 ·
Although there hasn't been any response from anyone on this thread I figured I'd post my resolution in case someone down the line was googling the same problem. I solved the problem a couple of weeks ago but haven't gotten around to posting the solution.

I returned the new ABS control module I installed from my previous post. My thought was even if my existing module was still good perhaps the abs pump was malfunctioning, causing the module to throw the code. So I bought a used abs pump on ebay for $30 (new ones run roughly $350) and installed it with my existing abs module. This solved the problem. All codes went away and the ABS works like normal.

From my research dealerships charge approximately $2,000 to resolve this code as they automatically replace both the module and the pump and hope that fixes the problem. As you can see I ultimately spent $30 for the fix so it can be done for significantly less. Hope this helps someone down the road.

#6 ·
Although there hasn't been any response from anyone on this thread I figured I'd post my resolution in case someone down the line was googling the same problem. I solved the problem a couple of weeks ago but haven't gotten around to posting the solution.

I returned the new ABS control module I installed from my previous post. My thought was even if my existing module was still good perhaps the abs pump was malfunctioning, causing the module to throw the code. So I bought a used abs pump on ebay for $30 (new ones run roughly $350) and installed it with my existing abs module. This solved the problem. All codes went away and the ABS works like normal.

From my research dealerships charge approximately $2,000 to resolve this code as they automatically replace both the module and the pump and hope that fixes the problem. As you can see I ultimately spent $30 for the fix so it can be done for significantly less. Hope this helps someone down the road.
Thank you so much! That’s just what I did, google the problem, and your thread came up. I’m also going to follow your advice.

#7 ·
hi there! I know this is an old post but i think this can help others too! I had a problem with my abs and searched the web for help. I found an article in Youcanic page about how to troubleshoot and fix ABS light in a Dodge. The article helped me solved my problems. Thanks to Youcanic, I saved a lot of time and money to fix my problem. I hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.