Dodge Caliber Forums banner

09 cali rear wheel noise

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mopower 
#1 ·
I have an 09 caliber SXT with 43000 miles on it. I replaced the rear struts last year BTW.

There is a noise coming from the rear that sounds sort of like a tire scraping when I go around curves/off ramps that is getting louder since I noticed it. I don't hear it going straight or in slight turns, just off ramps and corners.

Going through a turn it's like a tick tick tick tick sound, like a tire rubbing but I don't see and contact anywhere from a rear tire.

I'm thinking either wheel bearing or maybe even the rear suspension is shifting on turns.

Anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
How are your springs? When going off ramps and around curves, you will have more force coming down on the tires. I don't know for sure, but check your clearance from your tires to your fender walls. That might give you an idea of what is going on. Maybe something loose and hanging down - not far enough to drag all the time, but enough to make contact when cornering/going downhill.

#3 ·
Update...

Just got back from the garage where they looked at it.
I took them for a ride and showed them what it was doing first.

What happened was rust built up around the inner lip of the rear brake drums and was making the ticking sound when I when through off-ramps and corners.

The mech took an air chisel and broke all the loose rust off the drums lips and now the noise is gone. Cost me $20. At least I didn't have to buy bearings like I was thinking.

I figured I post this in case someone else runs into this...those of us in the rust belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.