Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Possible Air Conditioning Problem

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  dubina 
#1 ·
I went to a dealership to test hop a 2008 caliber R/T that had 86k miles on it.

One thing I noticed was that the A/C sounded funny, not quiet as I remembered the 07 caliber A/C to be at high output. When I turned the A/C off (output down to minimum and yellow A/C light off), I could hear something winding down , like a playing card flapping in bicycle spokes...not a loud sound, but not silent as I remember the 07 to be.

I looked that up and got the impression that the sound could be due to impending compressor failure. I guess it might be due to a shortage of freon or a bad fan or something not as serious as a getting-ready-to-go-bad compressor. Someone said if the A/C compressor fails the car can't be driven because the belt that drives the compressor drives other things, as well.

I am not quite sure of any of this except for the sounds I heard, so I wonder if any of you would care to comment or give advice. The dealer seemed sympathetic but otherwise uaware of the problem, if indeed, there is a problem.

Thanks in advance,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.