Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Traction Control?

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  SpooledCSRT 
#1 ·
I have seen some threads about this but I still just don't have a good handle on what the traction control button does exactly other than help you burn a wheel. I have, for now, bone stock 08. I know I can't fully turn off the traction control without a scanguage but If I turn the button off on the dash, will that help some with the torque steer? What will it do to cornering? Also, will it keep the abs working? If it helps torque steer, will it still help when I get my ms1 insalled to turn the traction control off? Sorry for all the questions.

#2 ·
if you keep it on and try to drive it hard from a stop it will bog and slow you down. if you hit the button, it gets rid of some of the tq steer, but when you turn it off with the scan gauge its really noticeable.
my advice is to press the button to turn it off every time you start your car, if you drive hard. if you use the scan gauge it stays off permanently.

#4 ·
Pushing the button essentially turns traction control off, but stability control remains on. In order to turn both off, you'll need a scangauge.

The ABS will continue to work if you just use the button. Disabling all systems using the scangauge will cause ABS to no longer function (you will get the ABS dash light)

Reactions: 08srtBLACKOUT
#6 ·
put it this way, I raced a ms3 (I had TBE, intake,bov) he had a catback with a new fmic. 1st race without hitting the button he beat me, 2nd race with button pushed I beat him by the end of 2nd.

Its a SCAN guage, not an afg btw

#7 ·
ESP consist of three levels.

1. ABS brakes
2. Traction Control
3. Stability Control

In the 2008 cars the ESP button turns off the traction control.

In the 2009 cars theres a feature where you can hold the ESP button in for a few seconds and traction and stability control off. Good if your autoXing.

#8 ·
...I remember thinking back to when the SRT guys were first talking about the CSRT4 and its features, they were bragging about how great the traction control was on the car and to just leave it on on the track...

I've done runs w/ it on, w/ if off, w/ if off via scanguage and my best time has been w/ it off via the scanguage, I just remember hearing them brag "back in the day":jester:

#9 ·
thanks guys,
so anytime I'm driving aggressive; its getting turned off on my dash. I have noticed a few times when I punched it in first or second getting a weird sensation of torque steer that seemed different than another fwd turbo car I have that has a lot of power. It only did it for a split second or so. I didn't like the feeling. Like I wasn't in control. It did it worst when I was coming out of a gas station and turning a little to get on the road while giving it the gas. I guess the brake differential or whatever its called was the culprit. I would love to turn off the traction button and get rid of that sensation.

#10 ·
its safe to turn it off completely. i wouldnt give you this info. if it didnt come from a good source.

#12 ·
just to be clear, the traction control is OFF when there are 2 "squigly" lights on your dash board, correct?

#13 ·
yes, but only half way. without the scan gauge the tq steer is out of control. if your ms1 or less and use the scan gauge your tq steer is virtually gone, until you start upping the power.

after aaron tuned my car the tq steer came back, but the tq steer is different. its like the nsrt and only wants to pull you in one direction and fixed with a little counter steer. its not like the stock cali were it feels like a speed boat swaying back and forth all over the road.

Reactions: Bake
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.