Dodge Caliber Forums banner

2008 Dodge Caliber Acceleration and Overheating Issues

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Farkas 
#1 · (Edited)
To begin, I'll start with the oldest issue -- the overheating problem. About 2 years ago, my car signaled an overheating light; however, there were no physical indicators of overheating. That issue didn't happen again until about 4 months later while I was idling. I don't recall any further overheating issues until about 1 year ago while I was driving on the expressway (for about 60-70 miles). Since that time, It has become more frequent (every time I drive it for around 60-70 miles on the expressway at 60-75 mph). I had the car looked at by a mechanic, and they said that they couldn't detect any reason for it to be overheating or signaling overheating with my coolant and trans fluid good.

Secondly, the more recent issue (about 2 months ago), my vehicle has had an acceleration problem that immediately followed an overheating relapse. I was driving my car on the expressway when it began to overheat, and this time it began making a whirring sound, my speed decreased, and my rpms were increasing (maxing). I responded by pulling over and letting it cool for 15-30 minute (as I usually do), and when it was finally not denoting an overheating light, I drove it. This time, however, it would not accelerate beyond 55 mph until it began to overheat again, which then I could reach ~ 70 mph. I eventually made it home by playing stop-and-go with the overheating problem, but now there seems to be an acceleration issue that involves it creeping to 35 mph after about 1-2 minutes of light, moderate, and/or heavy footing the gas pedal and restarting the sluggish acceleration if I, unfortunately, have to stop. The symptoms would include slow acceleration and an inability of the rpms to reach beyond 3,000; the caveat to the symptoms is if I immediately accelerate (and I do mean pedal to the metal) as soon as I turn the ignition; however, the car begins to auto-decelerate after several minutes of driving, after reaching a stop, and/or self-deceleration -- returning the car's symptoms back into what it would be if I never quickly accelerated to begin with.

I have not yet taken it to a shop, because I'm broke and waiting on getting it towed to a friend's for a cheap and honest analysis. That being said, I also trust and appreciate the Dodge Forum community to provide their expertise and insight of the issue. I've heard/read several similar issues to mine: CVT, ignition switch, transmission failure, etc. The other people's problems were similar, but not exact, so I was hoping that the detail given may be able to narrow solutions to the problem. Thank you, and I hope somebody can help me out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Strange

Hi, you,ve got serious problem. I drive nearly 30 years. My first - I wonder that mechanic couldn't detect any reason. Computer should detect. Problem is with engine, so you need find smart mechanic. Sorry that I can't help. Good luck. Caliber is beautiful car with soul and worth take pains...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.