Dodge Caliber Forums banner

New caliber going to be Mitsubishi Lancer

6K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  slick 
#1 ·
So the rumor form a very reliable (inside knowledge source that has proven himself in the past) is that the New Caliber is going to be a re badged Mitsubishi Lancer!

"The New Caliber is going to be a re badged Lancer. Thought you would all like to know." (post #1)

"I would love the new Caliber to get access to the Evo version, sadly it's the two base models only." (post #12)

Link to thread the quotes are pulled form.
http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111876

Just thought I would share this news.

#2 ·
Link showed a member's page.

Looked around at the site and best I could read is that the Caliber is going to be replaced with a car based on the Lancer.

#4 ·
That is odd that the link did not work.

#6 ·
Ah that explains it,
well the quoted text pretty much covers the extent of the information the person could share publicly (I trust them with the credentials they privately presented me)
the rest of the tread is pretty much off topic commentary one other chrysler related information.

But the Site is a good source of Chrysler information, and it is Free to join too.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#7 ·
See I love the rumors like that but no facts..

One fact remains... Chrysler no longer owns a share in Mitsubishi... They sold the 33% share while back.. If they were gonna re badge a lancer they would've done it when they share the platform (this caliber)....

#8 ·
They don't have to hold shares to share technology. The Caliber and the Lancer share the same frame. We have a ton of Mitsu parts in our car and the Mitsu's have Chrysler technology in theirs as well.

That rumor isn't saying much since the Caliber is a Lancer with different sheet metal and no AWD.

The Lancer was also origionally a Chrysler car anyway.

#9 ·
With the new alliance with Fiat, I suspect we'll have a new 300 HP FWD model called the

Dodge FRT-4 which will be based on this Fiat Bravo.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Allpar did have a small blurb (I'll have to find it), that the Caliber could be dropped and replaced by one of the Fiat vehicles. This may explain why the Caliber's design interior/exterior hasn't been upgraded (beyond black interior) since its release in 2006.

EDIT: Found it....

LINK

Moving up to the Compact, or C-segment, a Chrysler plant would build a new vehicle based on Fiat’s new C-Evo platform. This new vehicle could be a replacement for the Dodge Caliber. The same plant could build the next-generation Alfa Romeo 147 for North American sale. A stretched version of the C-Evo platform could also be used as a replacement for the D-segment, mid-sized Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger and could be the first use of the stretched platform.

#13 ·
Yes, my dad had a Lancer Turbo ES. Had good power, but anything and everything went wrong with it. The sun roof for one leaked like the mississippi river and rattled like a SOB. To this day, my dad will never get another vehicle with a sunroof in it because of that.

#17 ·
Looks too much like a SLOB...I mean SAAB to me. Which isn't a good thing!

#19 ·
ugh, that thing is ugly as sin. taking a ruopean styled car and americanizing just makes it ugly. those cars are supposed to have smooth flowing lines not giant grills and square front ends that dodge seems to love so much. if they are partners, why cant they just slap a didge emblem on it nd call it a day or the u.s.

#20 ·
ugh, that thing is ugly as sin. Taking a ruopean styled car and americanizing just makes it ugly. Those cars are supposed to have smooth flowing lines not giant grills and square front ends that dodge seems to love so much. If they are partners, why cant they just slap a didge emblem on it nd call it a day or the u.s.
this post makes my face hurt

#25 ·
Does anyone know when does Chrysler upgrades a current model whether its interior or exterior? Is it every 5 yrs more or less????
Caliber was out since 2006

#27 ·
So let me get this straight....Chrysler is dead because they're gonna make something you wouldn't buy?

#33 ·
I've heard the whole reason the Caliber exists is because Daimler thought they could get Dodge into Europe and sell a lot of cars with the Caliber. So they dropped the Neon and built the Caliber in its place. Seems as if they sold some vehicles to Europe, so it didn't pan out like they wanted, just like everything else they did to Chrysler as a whole. You can basically chalk the lack of any kind of economy vehicle to Daimler.

Another thing they wasted money on was the AWD system for the Caliber, Sebring, and Avenger. Yes it may have been great, but it killed gas milage and when gas prices shot out of sight, the fuel ratings on those vehicles IMO gave those models a black eye for getting poor fuel milage. So AWD was dropped from all 3 models, wasting precious dollars they could be using right now to get Chrysler restructured.

#35 ·
really everyone a dodge sharing something with mitsubishi?? Dodge started using rebadged mitsubishis as early as the 1970's and does anyone remember DSM (Diamond Star Motors) this was chrysler and mitsubishi designing and producing cars together in Normal, Illinios. The chrysler being as wise as they are sometimes decided to go there own way and left DSM and it became mitsubishi but they still produced the avenger/sebring coupes up until late when they redesigned the sebring. The coupes were based on the the eclipse and really were alot of mitsubishi parts. After that mitsubishi and Daimler-chrysler came up with this global platform idea. Chrysler from what i understand after they left this partnership modified the platform cars produced under it are lancer and outlander for mitsu and caliber, compass, patriot, avenger and serbring. Again the platform was modified and different for the avenger sebring being the larger size. so a caliber and lancer are related, but could be kissing cousins. hey how about the mitsubishi raider??

#38 ·
On average its right around 4-5 years. There's no set in store amount.
well i hope they change it by 2011 instead of 2010. I dont want to own my car for one year and then have a completely redesigned caliber come out.

#45 ·
And the Patriot actually sells! Its a pretty nice vehicle IMO. Its also the cheapest vehicle to own in its class I believe. Its too bad Chrysler can't build other economy vehicles like the the Patriot. The Caliber could easily be up there with the Patriot with a little effort. Of course you know magazines will still put it down because no matter what Chrysler will do to it they (the magazines) will just think its the same ole Caliber from before.

#47 ·
I believe the SMART car is a Daimler vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.