Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Hep! Saw dusted car

12K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  08sunburst 
#1 ·
So I did a bit of a dummy thing this weekend.
I had rolled the CSRT out of the garage in order to install my (new to me) 240V forced air garage heater.
I had also drilled a number of holes to run power cables to new power outlets I am installing.
It had been snowing lightly, so the car had a light dusting on it.

Here is the dummy part; I rolled the car back into the garage. Now wet from the melting snow, the fan from the heater added a nice coat of fine saw dust on it. :mecry:Didn't notice this at first, but after returning to the garage after a beer run, the water had dried enough to show me a dusty black CSRT.

How do I get this off without scratching the crap out of my car?
I can't drive it to a car wash, as I have no road insurance on it (car is technically parked for the winter).

#2 ·
the only thing i could think of is use an air compressor after it dries to blow it off

either that or pour water over it, as i doubt low pressure water will scratch it when it moves it off, but wiping definitely will

#3 ·
the only thing i could think of is use an air compressor after it dries to blow it off

either that or pour water over it, as i doubt low pressure water will scratch it when it moves it off, but wiping definitely will
I was considering the water idea. I will just have to be very carefull as to how much water I use, and where it goes. The concrete floor is still pretty cool, and it can/will cause ice issues if I am too water happy.

#10 ·
Unfortunately I'd say lots of water. Best to float away the mess rather than risk scratches. Also, was the wood treated or painted. I've seen times if left on too long will cause some sort of damage.
If using a blower, follow it with a soaked chamois to push away the remaining dust, rinse chamois, repeat and rewipe til clean.

#11 ·
Unfortunately I'd say lots of water. Best to float away the mess rather than risk scratches. Also, was the wood treated or painted. I've seen times if left on too long will cause some sort of damage.
If using a blower, follow it with a soaked chamois to push away the remaining dust, rinse chamois, repeat and rewipe til clean.
The wood was unpainted. I was drilling holes for power wire in the studs in the garage. I am not sure what treatment they use on construction lumber. The garage was built in 1999.
Anyway, I'll wait until it is warm enough (-5'C ish) and rinse it off outside the garage. Will be by the bucket which will suck.

As much as I enjoy winter sports, I can't wait for summer.

#12 ·
Ummmm Mike...didn't you say you just installed a fan forced heater in the garage :notallthere:.

Who cares if the floor gets wet, turn on your new heater for a couple of hours and WHAMMO, no more water!!

Just a thought.

Paul

#13 ·
Ummmm Mike...didn't you say you just installed a fan forced heater in the garage :notallthere:.

Who cares if the floor gets wet, turn on your new heater for a couple of hours and WHAMMO, no more water!!

Just a thought.

Paul
The floor does not have proper water run off. The floor slopes towards the bay door, then off to the corners at the door (my compressor was frozen to the floor for a few weeks).

If we get a mild day this weekend, I'll rinse it outside the garage and then bring it in to dry it (including claybar and wax).

#14 ·
Sucks about the floor, at least once you have the majority of the sawdust off you can work in relative comfort. Good luck and be patient!!

#16 ·
I hear you loud and clear brother.

We bought a new house with an attached garage, I had all the room I needed BUT we just bought a rowing machine for some much needed exercise. Luckily, the rower isn't that hard to take apart.

#23 ·
When -4 is a "high" temp, you know it's time to move already ....

#26 ·
-4 c = 24f, which is about average here for winters, but we do see temps as low as -10f(-24c)

so yea, its not that cold..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.