Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Electronic Throttle Contol light came on?

27K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  ASAPFloodingPros 
#1 ·
ETC lightening bolt lamp came on flashing today. The car was almost undrivable with engine stuttering and rpms going up and down? Once I turned the key off and restarted the light was gone and the car running fine??

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks,

#2 ·
I've heard of issues like this with the non csrts. Same conclusion of shutting the car down, restarting and everything was fine. Maybe the ecu got mixed up and needed a reboot, sometimes I hate these computers.

#4 ·
Had this happen a few times. It can be a pain when it happens but shutting the car off and turning it back on has worked every time for me.

#6 ·
just a question, when this happened did u guys bog on the take off?

maybe u didnt modulate the clutch pedal properly and when the car was about to turn off, u maybe gave it some extra throttle and/or pushed in the clutch.

this happened to me once, where it was about to turn off but when i stepped on the clutch it didnt turn off, it just seemed like the computer had a brain fart and didnt know what to do. again turn on/off cleared it up. but that was the only time it happened to me and that was a while back and hasnt reoccured.

#7 ·
my car does this on a daily basis.

#9 ·
Yeah that's happened to me on a cold start during the winter season where it stalls on me, and the lightning bolt light comes on but once I restart it it's fine, it's probably no big deal

#10 ·
Happened to me when I was driving down the 401 in the fast lane going 140 kph. Made the car do all sorts of crazy stuff.

The worst time was during a major winter storm. There was about 6 inches of snow on the road and I was driving up hill. Stopping the car was not an option.

#14 ·
anyone ever figure out why it actually does this? I finally get my car back together and it is doing this all the time now. Anytime I get into boost the car does that. Everytime it does it my knock is around 1.5 which is new to me as well.

#15 ·
This has been happening to me fairly often also. It seems like I can make it happen fairly consistently by hitting the rev limiter, but it also just seems to happen randomly at WOT. I have been thinking that I might need to have the starscan ETC procedure redone on my S1 because when they replaced my pedal, I sent it in with the stocker. I suppose I should test that theory by trying to get the fault with my stock ecu in but that sounds like work...

#16 ·
I have the problem too. It seems like it only happens when I need it to happen the least, like trying to pass on the freeway.

#17 ·
check all of your clamp connections, especially to the box with the screws, mine were lose the other days and my throttle went completely out on the interstate.

#18 ·
As a new owner- this makes me nervous. Is there something in common between all of these reported cars doing this? Can it be traced back to a single part/mod?

#19 · (Edited)
I haven't heard much about throttle issues unless you over-rev the motor (dropping down in a lower gear while high in RPM on a higher gear.

Seems like more people who have it are modded. Just from how many people have claimed to have the problem.

#27 ·
Thank you for this. :bigthumb: I rerouted the tcs wires the long way around the fuse box a couple of days ago, and so far so good. I have even been purposely trying to recreate the conditions when the light would come on in the past and haven't seen one.

#21 ·
This happened to me twice today. I had my cali packed due to a move and when I finally ready to move, there it was...It also happened while I was taking the trash to the dumpsters. I did get my car washed today and both times my engine was cold. I had a p0121 and a P0107? cant remember but I cleared them and was on my way...

#22 ·
Same thing happened to me when I drove to the top of pikes peak (over 14,000 feet). It was fine driving up there but I got the fault when starting the car after it was sitting for about 45 minutes. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it, ended up being a sensor. Don't remember exactley which one because it was about a year and a half ago. Hasn't happened since and I don't plan on going back to the peak anytime soon.

#24 ·
It happened again today 3 times in fact. The car first did it when I started it, again when I got on the NJ turnpike to accelerate to highway speeds and again when I left my destination. It seemed like whenever I wanted to get into boost hard it would do it. I finally reset the codes and removed power for about 5 mins and all was good.

#25 ·
did anyone notice this happening after a certain upgrade or maybe after being in the shop for work being done? So far it all sounds random as to why it is happening.

Me personally I NEVER saw this before with my old engine. Now I am seeing it all the time. I wont be of any help when it comes to compiling possible causes because everything under the hood is different for me except my turbo.

#26 ·
This happened to me many times or my SXT and then one day it wouldn't clear when I turned the car on and off. I got it towed to the nearest dealer as the car was shaking and the RPMs where going up and down and they had to replace a module and now the car works like a charm no more issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.