Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Oil leak!!

9K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  leepen 
#1 ·
Well today while I was installing my Mopar Blow-off plate I noticed I've got an oil leak from somewhere. There was oil on the bottom of the turbo, so I think its coming from around that area. I went ahead and installed the plate anyway and I guess I will just take it back out before I take it in for service. I am going to be gone for almost 3 weeks for some training so I wouldnt be able to get it back before then anyway. Sucks that I only have 1400 miles on the car and I've got problems already.

#2 ·
Chevytuffd.a. said:
Well today while I was installing my Mopar Blow-off plate I noticed I've got an oil leak from somewhere. There was oil on the bottom of the turbo, so I think its coming from around that area. I went ahead and installed the plate anyway and I guess I will just take it back out before I take it in for service. I am going to be gone for almost 3 weeks for some training so I wouldnt be able to get it back before then anyway. Sucks that I only have 1400 miles on the car and I've got problems already.
Last night I was installing my new HID headlights and I saw some oil deposits under the car. When I started to investigate deeper I noticed fresh oil coming from what appears to be the bottom of the turbo. I will be taking mine in for service on Monday :(. I hope this is not a sign, I also have around 2700 miles on mine.

#3 ·
Juiced RT said:
Last night I was installing my new HID headlights and I saw some oil deposits under the car. When I started to investigate deeper I noticed fresh oil coming from what appears to be the bottom of the turbo. I will be taking mine in for service on Monday :(. I hope this is not a sign, I also have around 2700 miles on mine.
There was a drop of oil forming directly on the bottom of my turbo. I am pretty sure mine is also coming from somewhere ON the turbo. I wouldnt be suprised if both our leaks end up being from the same problem. Everyone else. If you get a chance, climb under your car and look at the bottom of the turbo. I would be interested to see if this is a wide-spread problem.

#10 · (Edited)
XXxx_Totmacher_xxXX said:
I believe there was a service bullitan on the oil return leaking a bit.
I haven't seen or heard anything about the oil lines but there is a RRT for the banjo bolts on the coolant lines to the turbo being to small on some cars which is causing them to weep. If they are the wrong bolts, the correct ones should be installed.

#13 ·
Exhaust Depot said:
Just tighten the banjo screw some, no biggie.mopar bov, oh gosh another group of people i have to edumicate about the rice mod!So you guys know, all the neon guys remove that rice valve when they realise it does nothing, learn more:http://www.exhaustdepot.net/bloffva101.html
I understood before I bought it that it didnt give any performance gains. It was a cheap part and I was curious as to what it would sound like. I plan on getting an actual BOV at some point in the future. No rice goin on over here;)

#14 ·
On a neon, when you shift, you feel the turbo recover soonerafter the shift quicker especially if running higher boost. With the mopar rice valve you feel zero, zilch, nada.

Its a rice mod. Not sure how the caliber sounds with it but the stock surge vale is controlled electronicly so you would hear the valve vent as your going reverse doing like what, 1500rpm max. :) Then the stage 2 came out and it stopped vendint at "idle."

Ive a collection of rice plates at eh shop that ive taken off per peoples request. The best is when i tell them, "I told you so" and they put that "im a moron look." lol

Blue plate FTL!

ON the neon, i would run a line directlly to the surge valve bypassing the solenoid, this would increase the boost. :) It also worked on the solstice i worked on and im sure it will work on my caliber because boosting 9-10psi really sux! :( hopefully it comes up when i hit 1k.

#16 ·
sigh... THE BLUE BOV from mopar, still makes the sound because "SOME AMOUNT OF AIR" is going through it, out of it, whatever. So obviously, it works to some degree. However, I must admit, that yes, if you run high boost, you probably want a better quality "REAL" bov, which can vent a higher amount of air, thus relieving the pressure sooner, thus letting the turbo spool up faster... So high boost, ya, get a real one.

In my case, on the NSRT4, i had constant f*kin leaks on the mopar valve, and it just never went away. The screws became loose, the sealant melted out over time, and basically, i never had a constant boost pressure, and kept going back to the dealer to have it fixed, arguing that I bought it with the car from day one, so yes it's covered under warranty. Maybe it was just a fluke, but I gotta say, otherwise, i loved the sound it made, and had an amazing time with it. I honestly can say that I'm glad I had it in the car, and it made tons of people talk, but mostly, i loved hearing that thing! If only it didn't give me any headaches with leaks...

Good luck all, and hopefully the csrt4 won't cause as many headaches...

Any word on who makes the kit for the csrt4 for the up pipe to mount a bov?

#19 ·
Just got back from the stealership and it was confirmed that the oil return line to the turbo was leaking and needed to be tightned (at least, that's what they told me). Everyone should keep their eye out for little drops of oil under their car or the slight smell of burning oil hitting the exhaust.

#21 · (Edited)
look the purpose of a blow off valve is to let air out of the turbo when you let off the gas right? well nsrt-4 and the csrt-4 do that in stock form out of the factory because they come with a valve, the only thing they dont do compared to the aftermarket BOV is make the "cool noise", so it's clear that people that get the mopar blue plate, like myself, do it for the "cool noise", and thats why the mopar its called a blow off plate kit, and not a blow off valve!
And when it comes down to it, a lot of people changed to an aftermarket BOV most of the time, pretty much to get a different type of sound! and that my friend, is even more "rice" in my opinion because youre spending all that money on extra parts you really dont need, just for the noise!

edit: and on the original topic, im not an expert, but maybe an oil catch can could reduce, or solve the oil problem, any thoughts?

#22 ·
The SRT team said they recomend against the oil catch can. They didn't specify why but considering it's a benign modification in that it changes nothing I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

I would still probably get one but only after more research is done on why the oil leak is happening in the first place.

#23 ·
RATMfanatic said:
look the purpose of a blow off valve is to let air out of the turbo when you let off the gas right? well nsrt-4 and the csrt-4 do that in stock form out of the factory because they come with a valve, the only thing they dont do compared to the aftermarket BOV is make the "cool noise", so it's clear that people that get the mopar blue plate, like myself, do it for the "cool noise", and thats why the mopar its called a blow off plate kit, and not a blow off valve!
And when it comes down to it, a lot of people changed to an aftermarket BOV most of the time, pretty much to get a different type of sound! and that my friend, is even more "rice" in my opinion because youre spending all that money on extra parts you really dont need, just for the noise!

edit: and on the original topic, im not an expert, but maybe an oil catch can could reduce, or solve the oil problem, any thoughts?
Ju my friend have no idea what a real BOV will do on your car vs teh stock one. A catch can is hooked up to teh valve cover then the intake. I came up with the idea of hooking it up to the breather to the throttle body back in march 03. Reason i did this was because i had tons of oil in my cold side pipe, i though my new car had a blown turbo. Alot of that oil is being injested into the engine which creates extra carbon deposits and also lines the intake manifold with oil etc.

#24 ·
leesrt said:
The SRT team said they recomend against the oil catch can. They didn't specify why but considering it's a benign modification in that it changes nothing I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

I would still probably get one but only after more research is done on why the oil leak is happening in the first place.
They said the same thing in the Nsrt chats years ago....liability...what we realy need is noTe's oppinion about the blue plate :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.