Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Power Steering Pump Replacement - Need a little help

24K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ray_Ray 
#1 ·
Hello folks!

First time poster and long time reader.

Recently on my 2008 caliber SXT I was noticing a bit of a whining sound coming from the engine, I didn't thing to much about it. It started to get a little louder and when I took it in for an oil change the kid that worked on it said he thought he heard what appeared to be the power steering pump producing the whining sound. I drove it home, popped the hood and sure enough if I touch the power steering pump while its on, I can feel a vibration from it and can target the noise to it.

Fast forward to me ordering the part online after looking and reading the factory service manual over and over. appears to be a super simple job, Belt off, 3 bolts and boom done.

The problem I am having is getting the serpentine belt off. As I read in the manual it says to take a 1/2in breaker bar and put it in the square opening in the belt tensioner and turn counter clockwise. But as I look at the service manual, the illustration it shows does not have a square opening to insert the breaker bar. I took a look at the tensioner on the car as well and no square opening that I can see or feel. Looking up the tensioner online shows photos also with no square opening for the bar.

Any thoughts? if I can get the belt off the job should not take me very long.

I have also tried a 5/8in close end ratcheting wrench on the tensioner and can not see to get it to move.

Any advice would be amazing.

thanks again,

Rob

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll take a look and see if I can see anything on my car at lunch (No promises as I don't have much time, and the CSRT is not exactly the same).

Most of the 4 bangers I have worked on, the tensioner pulleys are spring loaded and simply pry back as you described above.
If I remember correctly, my Brother's old J body used the mounting bolt as the pivit point. Stick a wrench on that bolt, and turn it back to loosen the tension.

Again, I'll see what I can see on my car at lunch.

#4 ·
Thanks alot. I did use a 5/8in closed end wrench to try pulling it back. And nothing. Tried in both directions. I am just a bit confused as to why the service manual would point to doing so with the breaker bar and not have an area to insert it. This is starting to make me feel a bit dumb.

Here is the link to what the part looks like (Even looks the same on the service manual illustration)

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...content=MC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

#5 ·
you put a wrench on the bolt in the middle of the pulley on the tensioner
pull down or clockwise to release tension from the belt
make sure you are on the tensioner and not one of the idler pulleys

an extra set of hands is a good idea if you aren't very strong

#6 · (Edited)
When your pump started to act up, did the pump itself sound like your car was a desiel engine?

I've got this terrible noise, a mechanic told me to remove the belt from all the pullies,
and run the engine. He said if the noise goes away, then its the power steering pump/pully.
If not, then he said my engine is on its way out lol.. I only have 121,500km on it lol..

#7 ·
Mechanic lied!

So I took the belt off my motor and ran the engine as directed by the mechanic.. guess what? The sound went away!! Armed with the mechanic's advice, I changed my power steering pump.. unfortunately the horrible diesel sound was still there after reconnecting everything.

Fortunately, I managed to buy parts (alternator, power steering pump, front left/right struts, control arms, stabilizer bar left/right, serpentine belt, and all the fuses) from next door neibor who just happened to have been rear ended, so his Caliber was only good for front end parts :) I paid $130.00 Cdn for everything.

Next weekend I'll change the alternator and see if that's the issue. If not, I'll buy the A/C compressor and change that lol.

#9 ·
Omgosh! Sorry I'm replying over a year later.. Anyways it was the alternator Decoupler Pulley. I ended up changing the entire unit. Unfortunately today I'm changing the refurbished alternator again. This time all my electrical went and a mechanic told me it was my alternator after doing a couple tests. My headlights were like strobe lights lol. The alternator only had a 6mth warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.