Dodge Caliber Forums banner

HELP.... CVT works in reverse not forward

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Chad Quain (Quainbuilt) 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and to calibers. I just picked earlier today (2/20/27) this r/t up for a very good price knowing it has a transmission issue. Its a 07 R/t AWD with approx 92k. The previous owner that I purchased the vehicle from stated, that sometimes the forward will work then cut out, the reverse always works. He said his mechanic said it the shift solenoid. When I was talking with the gentleman, he also did mention a transmission module. He went into pretty good detail about the valve body and the solenoids location, so I took what he was saying and stored it for future reference. I hopped on google when I got home looking for similar issues with no good leads, checked youtube and found nothing really answers there either. So I went out and fiddled around with the caliber a little, here's what I have noted. When vehicle is started, it will shift from P to R, N D and D1, I checked the cable and it is moving the selector on the transmission. I do notice a slight rpm change from Neutral to Drive, no noise, I can rev it most times, other times it the computer will limit the rpms. I can shift into reverse and move under its own power, Drive, after fiddling around for an hour or so, and dragging it near the garage with the tractor, it went into drive for a split second and then went out. I did also check and readjust the shifter cable thinking maybe it wasn't going int drive all the way. No change. When I bought the vehicle we had to roll it down the hill and back it onto the trailer. i went to unload it from the trailer it seemed to work again for a few moment or so and kick out. I checked the fluid level, and it seemed good, but don't really know what the level is supposed to be. I did some reading on AAMCO service instructions, and some other website that pointed to the forward clutch plates being the issue. I do have a check engine lite, with a P0522, P0135, and P0038 code. my code reader doesn't do transmission codes, so i don't know if any codes exist. I'm leaning toward one of the solenoids being bad. but I'm not really well versed, just pretty mechanically inclined.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.