Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Is the Dodge Caliber a good car to buy?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  monzaguy 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I found a Dodge Caliber for a good price and I'm thinking of getting one. However, I've heard negative things about the Caliber. For example:
1) Exterior design: many people hate the design of it, saying it's ugly. Personally, I think it's attractive and rugged looking. Sort of like a mini SUV
2) Interior quality: almost everyone hates the interior of the Caliber. Yes, I think the quality of materials could be better, but it's something I could live with.
3) Gas mileage: the Caliber gets 22 in the city and around 30 in the highway. For some reason, people complain about this kind of mileage, but I think that's very good mileage.

VCDS 15.7
So, are there any problems I should be aware of? Is it a reliable car? I guess that's my biggest worry now.

#2 ·
I bought my 2008 Caliber new with 8 miles on it. I am now rounding 190,000 miles :) I've kept the oil changed, 3 sets of tires, changed out the front end once and 2 alternators. That's it. It's been the best and the cheapest car I've ever owned. I really hate to trade it in it's been so reliable. I bought it one day because my kids were teenagers, I was looking at a souped up Charger and they were fighting over who was going to drive it. I saw the homely Caliber and told the salesman "I'll take it" He thought I was nuts. 8 years later, I'm still driving it. I love it. I drives well and it's a safe little car. I will probably buy another Dodge, and I've always been a Chevy girl.

#3 ·
I've had my 2007 SXT Caliber for about 3 years now. For the most part it runs great. I love the interior and have gotten compliments on it often.

Positives:
-Fits in almost any parking spot
-Good gas milage
-Hatchbacks are awesome (I can fit my Jackson 4Fun whitewater kayak, gear, and overnight luggage INSIDE the car)
-Fun, a little zippy (which I like)
-Versatile (I take it out in the woods sometimes)
-Able to have a tow hitch (which I do)

Negatives:
Not very upgradable
I've seen more guys driving a Prius
Not a fan of the exterior design
Wish it had more power
I don't like the CVT transmission, personally.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.