Dodge Caliber Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&A Completed: Wednesday, March 15th 2005

84K views 256 replies 53 participants last post by  Team SRT 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The session is in progress, please post your questions only after reading the entire thread to assure your question has not already been asked and answered.

OK every one. It's time for all good little SRT engineers to go home and get some sleep so we can come back tomorrow and continue to bring you the outstanding products we've all been talking about. As always, thanks to all of you for joining us tonight and thanks for following the rules (mostly). We truly do love being out here on the forums with you. Not sure which forum we're on next month but look for the posting and we'll let you know as soon as we figure it out.

#53 ·
Re: Q&A Session Begins Wednesday, March 15th from 6pm to 8pm EST

Team SRT said:
The camber bolts are no thinner than the stock bolts. They just don't have the knurling on them.

The adjustable rear lateral links allow more toe adjustment than the stock ones. You can use either to set camber. If it were my racecar, I'd use both on the rear for adjustability.
Thanks! I have 2 followups-- I have heard of the camber bolts slipping. Since we already have the camber from the larger clevis hole, do you need the camber bolts?

And just to be clear, you're saying you'd have both rear camber plates and the adjustable links, right?

#56 ·
Re: Q&A Session IN PROGRESS [Wednesday, March 15th from 6pm to 8pm EST]

the mopar cat back for the srt-4 what kind of gains do you get on for say mine with stage 1. would it be better to go with the cat back from mopar or some other company with 3". just woundering thanks

#57 ·

2mopar said:
You guys rock, thanks for coming out again, and keep up the great work. Hoping for that Pro-Stock SRT Stratus to get some rounds in this weekend. Do you sponsor anything else besides that and the drift cars? Any plans for the Caliber next year in NHRA?
Yep, we do as well. Sounds like you are a straight line fan, so we won't mention the roundy-round stuff. As for next year, let's take it on season at a time .......

#58 ·

ekool said:
A user sent me this PM and asked me to post it as he would be unable to attend:
No, the PM SRT wheels will not fit the Neon SRT. The bolt pattern is different. With regards to your Tach hang at 3 - 4000rpm, without further information, it would be difficult to diagnose over the web....

#60 ·

Persicutor said:
Hi, i have the following questions:

1)according to sport compact car, the srt-4 has a relatively short connecting rod for such a long stroke. what are the advantages of a shorter conrod?

2)roughly how many hrs did it take to build each srt-4? what about for a regular neon?

3)to be an srt engineer, do you need a masters degree?

Not all of us have masters degrees. Being a crazy gearhead is a much bigger help.

We've noticed that a short rod usually results in owning a big boat!

#61 ·

magnum2point0 said:
My 2003 Neon R/T weighs approx 2700 fully loaded. So the Caliber is indeed heavier. I am just curious about the technology behind the new "world engine".
Aluminum block, new DOHC cylinder head with dual Variable valve train, larger turbo , intercooler and higher flowing exhaust. It also has a higher compression ratio for improved fuel economy, yes it is ligher, and will be rated at 300 HP.

#62 ·

REVO said:
Hi TeamSRT, thanks for the session!

Will the new Caliber SRT-4 include traction ctrl to help with wheel spining?
Any other similar measures?
If the trans will have an LSD, will it be Quaife's or a disc-type unit?
Last one: the Caliber's body seems to be taller than the Neon's; do you have info on the center of gravity, measures the car will implement to ctrl body-roll, etc?

As a suggestion, wouldn't be great if you would go ahead and point out whatever you think we car freaks would love to know when the questions start being boring / same?

Thanks again!!!
Andrés Collazos

:)
Traction control will be standard. The diff brand is Torsen. The cg data is classified as a matter of SOP.

We're happy to answer the questions especially from the gearheads...you guys are us guys......

#64 ·

ekool said:
My question is in regards to a potential AWD version. I know DCX did some research as to possibly doing an AWD SRT4 version, but has at this time decided against it.

What was the reasoning behind the decision not to offer an AWD version, and will this be re-looked at down the road for a potential AWD version offered a couple of years down the road?
See prior posts......

#65 ·

You guys are doing a great job answering questions. Here is another. My 2003 Neon R/T came fully loaded with everything the Neon had to offer that year besides turbo. I have only front electrical windows. They only offered front. The back are crank. Will the Caliber have more electronics in interrior design?

#66 ·

The biggest gripe from the auto critics about the Neon SRT4 was that it is a straight-line rocket, but isn't a hero in the twisties. What kind of suspension parts does the Caliber SRT4 have to brag about?

#68 ·

DATfan said:
Howabout a stock ACR?
The strut tower geometry is the same on all 2nd gen Neons.

Remember, though, that the '01-'02 ACR uses inverted struts, so the jounce bumper loads go up through the strut shaft. On a non-inverted strut, the jounce bumper loads are reacted on the strut mount outer metal.

#69 ·

jrodsrt4 said:
the mopar cat back for the srt-4 what kind of gains do you get on for say mine with stage 1. would it be better to go with the cat back from mopar or some other company with 3". just woundering thanks
10-15 would not be unexpected gain for catback. And yes, I think you'd want to stick with the Mopar system. We've found in testing that larger isn't always better. Also, you might want to think about Cold Air Intake. It's the best bang for the buck upgrade.

#71 ·

courier11sec said:
I'd like to know what methods you've employed to combat torque steer.
On the risk that you work for one of our competitors, we're not going to go there. Trust us, we have quite a bit of expertise around here with regard to torque steer.

#72 ·

Dan SS2471 said:
**EDIT** Just saw an email from the moderator that this will be a Caliber related Q&A. If you have the time to field this one, fine. Otherwise I understand if you don't. Thanks..... **EDIT**

Thanks very much for taking the time out to come on here and field questions from DCX's customers. I've had my 300C SRT-8 since January and it's hands down the best performing, handling, and optioned vehicle I've ever owned. Kudos to the SRT team for another phenomenal product.

I don't believe this is an SRT model specific Q&A so I wanted to ask a question about the brake squeal/ grooved rotor / dust issue on the 300C SRT-8. And a follow up as to whether or not a 'fix' for the 1-2 shift hesitation has been discussed.

At the last meet and greet, an engineer indicated that the brake fix is well in the works and that 'we were going to like it'. I very much enjoy the performance of the Brembo system and I can honestly say that I've never had an issue with sqealing. I do have minor rotor grooving which I think is acceptable. What I really have an issue with is the inordanant amount of brake dust. This is a real inconvenience when you spend hours detailing the vehicle and painstakingly cleaning the wheels inside and out. They look great afterwards but no more than 10 miles of driving (normal, not even spirited) will yield a noticeable coat of brake dust. Being one of the mindset that you don't just 'wipe off' brake dust with some type of cleaner, I typically wait until I wash the entire car to do the rims again. This means that the car's exterior finish can look clean for 1 - 2 weeks, but the rims are black with brake dust after a couple of days. Do the engineers know if the fix in the works addresses this as well as the sqealing / grooving?

With regard to the 1 - 2 shift hesitation, some have had a flash done depending on when their car was built. There is a TSB out for it (sorry, I don't know the # off the top of my head). Some say it worked, most say it didn't. My car does not qualify based on build date because the version of the software in it supposedly has the hesitation addressed. Simply not true. The car consistently hits the rev limiter before shifting and sputters beforehand as well. This is with ESP on, ESP off (2nd position) and ESP totally disabled (3rd position). Some have seem to have gotten around it by using the Autostick but this is only accomplished by shifting at least 500 RPMs before redline so the computer catches up with your shift and actually shifts the tranny before hitting the limiter. There is an aftermarket system which addresses this, but I'm waiting to hear back from DCX as I don't want to risk voiding my warranty over something that in my opinion should be addressed by the manufacturer.

Hope I'm not coming off as a whiner. I know there are many others besides me who would like to know these answers and just like myself love this car nonetheless!! Any replies are appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Dan M.
2006 300 SRT-8
SRT I / II
Sunroof
Kicker
You're right....tonight we're keying on the Caliber. I'm the guy who answered you last month. Hang in there...we want to make sure that what goes out for the fix kills the deal dead....we'll probably be back to 300's next month...

#73 ·

Vision67 said:
Will the turbo boost control system increase boost as a function of altitude? i.e. will I be able to achieve sea level power at 10,000 feet above seal level?
The boost control system will maintain torque in Denver and we're on our way to Pikes Peak.

#75 ·

i like the cold air intake i just always hear from people that they get hydro lock from cold air intakes and i do not want to screw up this sweet ride that you guys made its amazing. should i worry about water with the mopar cold air intake thanks

#76 ·

Team SRT said:
The boost control system will maintain torque in Denver and we're on our way to Pikes Peak.
I can attest to the boost control system the SRT team has put in place, even on the SRT-4 -- my car made the same power at 1200 ft. elevation as it does at 4800 ft. elevation. Same MPH through the traps, etc. Very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.