Grrrr With my 2007 Caliber-2 issues - Dodge Caliber Forums
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having problems with your Dodge Caliber and you would like to discuss it, this is the section. Have your car into the dealer for a particular reason and want to talk about it? Do it in here.

#1 Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM
cwonder
Points: 1,320, Level: 20 Points: 1,320, Level: 20 Points: 1,320, Level: 20
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Grrrr With my 2007 Caliber-2 issues

I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks now. I have a 2007 Caliber R/T.

First, about a month ago, both my turn signals went out while driving on the highway. Then 2 weeks ago, the car died. Then the weird ticking sound so many hear on the right side of the engine began.

Car has almost 50k on it. Bought it brand new while we were stationed in Germany in 2006.

First problem we tackled was the dead car. This has been a recurring issue and possibly my fault...at first. Every once in awhile, I put the key in and the car won't start, so I take out the little plug on the right side of the console, hit the reset button and it would restart. I'm pretty sure I screwed something up in the ignition with heavy keys. So the day the car died, nothing was working. We tried to jump it, and just tick tick tick. I pulled the battery and my husband and I walked to the NAPA down the street to have it checked. He said it was totally dead. $100 bucks later, new battery, working fine. Then last week, I started to notice the whine, then a bit of a shake. So I broke down and took it to the dealer today. It's the bearings in the alternator and they want to charge me $700. Of course the warranty is up on it. I said no way and went and bought an alternator at Auto zone for $200 and change. My husband and I are going to change it out tonight....as soon as I get the car back. They are still looking at the turn signal issue.

I relayed info I had found on this site about resetting the computer and updating it. Yet to hear back from them so about to head down with my angry woman look. But, when I talked to them earlier, they mentioned replacing the TIPM. So the question is, I've read about this problem with the turn signals but no one has replied if whether the flash/update/reset worked?

I've also read about just replacing the pulley on the alternator, but with all the battery issues, wondering if it's best to change the whole thing out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 PM
cwonder

(Thread Starter)
Back from the dealer.

The turn Signal issue:

49994 flash updated the pcm, tipm, and ccn part numbers. Found a bad connection on the tipm connector for turn signal circuit. turn signals function after connection was restored.

YAY! They didn't charge me for the flash because I gave a sob story of no money. But still paid $160 bucks for them to tell me the alternator was bad and the oil change.
#3 Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM
UN4GTBL
Super Moderator
Points: 315,041, Level: 100 Points: 315,041, Level: 100 Points: 315,041, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Thanked 6,273 Times in 5,126 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sorry to hear of the problems with your caliber.

is everything ok again now?

btw - Welcome! Be sure to post up some pics too.

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT | 1.8L 5-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTEngineers
We like the Vette! ... Best damn girl's car ever made.
#4 Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM
toohappytocare
Points: 3,468, Level: 36 Points: 3,468, Level: 36 Points: 3,468, Level: 36
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%

I just had the ticking and whine on my 07 R/T AWD, then the battery light came on (on my month old battery). Yes. Alternator. Yes $600 later. Yes. They have to remove the AC unit to do this, so I got an AC recharge out of the deal.

The good news: the new alternator is making very steady power which appears to be helping the performance all around, including the CVT.

Oh, and it was at 98K miles and TEN DAYS past the end of warranty. BOOOOOO

'07 Caliber R/T AWD Solar Yellow
#5 Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM
cwonder

(Thread Starter)
Well, it took 5 hours out of my life but I saved $450 bucks so I'm not complaining. The alternator is a pain in the ass but we did it. My husband may be headed to the divorce lawyer after this..lol

We did quite well, until the end, then I think we were just worn out and the bickering began. But it runs like a champ and will be very interested if my performance also changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service