Dodge Caliber Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&A Completed: Wednesday, 12-19-07 @ 6pm EST

32K views 83 replies 24 participants last post by  Team SRT 
#1 ·
Participant Guidelines:
  • Keep all questions on topic and related to the SRT lineup of vehicles - off-topic posts will be removed
  • Direct ALL questions to the SRT Team AND allow the SRT Team to answer ALL questions (no member discussions here)
  • Review existing posts to avoid repeats of a same question
  • Limit each post to 1 or 2 questions and be as brief and clear as possible
  • Allow time for a response - questions are not answered in order of post. If it appears you were missed, AND the same question was not previously answered for someone else, you may re-post before the session ends
  • The SRT Team cannot answer questions about future product

#3 ·
Re: Q&A IN PROGRESS: Wednesday, 12-19-07 @ 6pm EST

I was wondering how the 08 300c SRT8's in the brochure has red brake calipers and all the ones on the dealer floor are sliver?

What is the best factory extended warranty to get over the 300c SRT8's 3yr/36,000 mile warranty? I want it to cover everything just like the factory 3yrs/36,000 does.

What is the max width of wheel you can use on the 300c SRT8? Front and Rear? I don't want to lower her, just want to get that aggressive stance. Could I pull off an 11" wide wheel on the rear w/ it not sticking it out of the fenders and/or can I go bigger than 11"?
- What's the max offset you can go on the rear so the wheels/tires don't stick out the side
- What's a good front offset to go with on the front for a 8.5" wide wheel

If I think of more, i'll come back to ask. Thank You!

#6 ·

Thank you for taking the time to do this chat.I have a 2008 Viper convertible that will hopefully be
arriving in the next few weeks and I am planning on
retrofitting certain components from the 2008 ACR to my
convertible.

First, what are the exact weights of the 2008
convertible and the coupe version? Is the convertible
still about 30-40 lbs lighter than the coupe?

Second, what are the exact technical differences
between the 2008 ACR stoptech rotors and the two-piece
aerorotors that I can buy direct from Stoptech? From
prior info on the VCA website it seems that the only
differences are that the center aluminum hat has a
different anodized color and has a small "stoptech"
logo on it. Stoptech also believed that the Mopar unit
has a protective anti-corrosion coating. Do you know
what that coating is? Zinc? Those differences aside,
are there any performance or structural differences
between the "over-the-counter" Stoptechs and the
Mopar-branded Stoptech rotors?

Similar question for the KW dampers on the ACR, are
these units specific to the ACR and if so in what
respect? Cosmetic finish or some mechanical difference
or difference in the calibration compared to what I
could buy from KW? Does the addition of the ACR KW
suspension wind up adding weight or saving weight
versus the stock suspension components? If so, how
much?

Finally, I plan on adding a set of Sidewinder wheels
from the ACR with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires in
the stock ACR sizes, 345/30/19 rear and 295/30/18
front. This rim/tire combo will be used for track/HPDE
events only. The stock front tire size on the "regular"
2008 Viper is 273/35/18. Since I will not be adding
the aero components (canards, splitter and rear wing)
or the thicker front stabilizer bar from the ACR will
using the 295/30/18 tire size result in too much
oversteer on my stock suspension? Would I be safer
using the next narrower Pilot Sport Cup size of
285/30/18 to be closer to the spec 275/35 size?

Thanks so much for your help and feedback. Keep up the
great work!

/Rich

#7 ·
Catch Cans

Since these sessions began two years ago the topic of catch cans has come up 28 times. In virtually every reply to the question you've said "we don't recommend them" or words to that effect and that was it.

I'm sure you've seen pics of oil in the intake of SRT8's and how much has been collected in the catch cans. These pics have been posted on many LX boards.

Can you go into a little more detail and give SPECIFIC reasons why you don't recommend them other than the fact the emissions system has to be closed by law?

Also, are there are ANY proven pros and cons from using them and is this oil in the intake harmful in any way?

Thanks!

Bernie

#8 ·

Is there still a soft spot in your Hearts for the Neon SRT-4 now that the Caliber has finally hit the market or will the enthusiasm for that special model always be evident?

I know some of the SRT techs may not have been involved with that project.

The srtforums has gone through some major changes.
We hope to see you around occasionally:)

#11 ·

rcl4668 said:
Thank you for taking the time to do this chat.I have a 2008 Viper convertible that will hopefully be
convertible.

much?

great work!

/Rich
First: Not really prepared with the viper weights. The difference between the coupe and conv. are unchanged, but the new tires are lighter. We are prepared with Caliber SRT4 weights...

Second: TBD in a few minutes

Third: TBD in a few minutes

Finally: The 295's will reduce understeer a bit. I'd try the 295's before the 285's. Depends on your preferred balance as a driver.

#12 ·

spcforker said:
Is there still a soft spot in your Hearts for the Neon SRT-4 now that the Caliber has finally hit the market or will the enthusiasm for that special model always be evident?

I know some of the SRT techs may not have been involved with that project.

The srtforums has gone through some major changes.
We hope to see you around occasionally:)
We have a soft spot for all our products.

#13 ·

NM08SRT8 said:
I was wondering how the 08 300c SRT8's in the brochure has red brake calipers and all the ones on the dealer floor are sliver?

What is the max width of wheel you can use on the 300c SRT8? Front and Rear? I don't want to lower her, just want to get that aggressive stance. Could I pull off an 11" wide wheel on the rear w/ it not sticking it out of the fenders and/or can I go bigger than 11"?
- What's the max offset you can go on the rear so the wheels/tires don't stick out the side
- What's a good front offset to go with on the front for a 8.5" wide wheel

If I think of more, i'll come back to ask. Thank You!
The 300C in the brochure ended up with Charger SRT calipers. Same calipers different color.

11 inch would be tough without putting fender flares on in the rear. 9 is about as wide as you can go on the front without rubbing the knuckle unless you push the wheel out.

The rear offset depends on wheel width. Its currently 25. For an 8.5 inch wheel you'd want to be in the 12 mm offset range to have it match the fender width.

#14 ·

Badazbee-423 said:
Why do the SRT8 vehicles get excessive amounts of oil in the intake???

This vehicle had 13 miles on it..... Notice the carbon build up on the pistons already....

The carbon build up levels will very with driving depending on how the engine is run. Idle versus, WOT, or short quick drives ect. As for the oil present at 13 miles give the engine some time to break in especially the piston rings. Until you get the rings worn to the piston you might see some amout of oil pulled over into the intake. Everything seens to be typical in the picture.

#16 ·
Re: Catch Cans

Rambit said:
Since these sessions began two years ago the topic of catch cans has come up 28 times. In virtually every reply to the question you've said "we don't recommend them" or words to that effect and that was it.

I'm sure you've seen pics of oil in the intake of SRT8's and how much has been collected in the catch cans. These pics have been posted on many LX boards.

Can you go into a little more detail and give SPECIFIC reasons why you don't recommend them other than the fact the emissions system has to be closed by law?

Also, are there are ANY proven pros and cons from using them and is this oil in the intake harmful in any way?

Thanks!

Bernie
We don't recommend them because they aren't necessary. Basically, installing a can on any car will catch some oil. That's normal. Our PCV systems are developed on the street and track, and the small amount of oil that passes through will not harm the engine. If that amount of oil concerns you, using a catch can on the track shouldn't hurt anything.

#17 ·

rcl4668 said:
convertible.

much?

great work!

/Rich
As for the Brake Rotors they are inded different. We have changed coatings to align with Chrysler standards for corrosion protection on the rotor, hat, and bobbins. Sorry don't have the exact specs for the coatings.

The ACR suspension is a total new development from the Mopar or KW offerings in the aftermarket. We have worked with KW to provide the best valving and spring rates to match the aero and tire loads that can be generated. No exact ACR weight measurements at this time but they are within 1lb. As a comparrison the Mopar Performance pieces from KW are 1.5lbs lighter per corner. Your biggest corner weight savings will come with the Sidewinder wheels and ACR rotors...a savings of 60lbs total.

#18 ·
Re: Catch Cans

Team SRT said:
We don't recommend them because they aren't necessary. Basically, installing a can on any car will catch some oil. That's normal. Our PCV systems are developed on the street and track, and the small amount of oil that passes through will not harm the engine. If that amount of oil concerns you, using a catch can on the track shouldn't hurt anything.
I always thought it was nothing to worry about so I guess we'll call it an upper cylinder lubricant then!!! Thanks.

#20 ·

first off let me start by saying...i love my damn bee. and what you guys do! i get looks everywhere and people are always asking me questions! what a kick a$$ product.

my question is this... do you know what the halfshafts are rated to? like how much hp/tq they can take because ive seen a few threads of the half shafts breaking in half. just curious is all....

and if you could comment on the drift charger and what you guys had done/sent it off to be done/ etc. to it... i love that thing

#21 ·

Is the Kicker option for the Calibert SRT4 still on schedule to start production early next month? And on the Grand Cherokee, ~mid January?

I wanted to say that i recently added the Mopar Kicker system to my '08 Jeep SRT8 and I am MORE than impressed with the outcome. The sound quality is nothing short of amazing!!

#22 ·

"Fifth gear puts the car at just a hair under 3000 rpms (from what i remember) at 80 mph.

Sixth gear gears the car too low, and actually puts too much load on the motor, which reduces gas mileage.

Excellant....with my 80 mile round trip commute I've been seeing 25MPG..and I agree fifth seems to work better at 70 where 6th is for top top top end!!"

We respectfully disagree with these points from another thread. Just because your boost gauge is around 0 doesn't mean your burning fuel. I can assure you that the car does achieve better fuel economy in 6th gear vs. 5th on the highway AND even as low as 55mph.

Also, top speed (155mph) was achieved in 5th gear....not 6th.

#23 ·

ResumeSpeed said:
Is the Kicker option for the Calibert SRT4 still on schedule to start production early next month? And on the Grand Cherokee, ~mid January?

I wanted to say that i recently added the Mopar Kicker system to my '08 Jeep SRT8 and I am MORE than impressed with the outcome. The sound quality is nothing short of amazing!!
It is part of our launch plan to be available early 1st quater. Which mopar set up did you end up with in your GC?

#25 ·

The Caliber SRT4 has an open diff with BLD (Brake Locking Differential) instead of a mechanical, torque sensing limited slip for a couple of reasons:

The SRT4 has a stiff enough suspension and a high enough CG that quite a bit of load is transferred from the inside front to the outside front while cornering. A torque sensing limited slip is only capable of transferring the torque the slipping wheel can put down multiplied by the bias ratio (around 2:1) to the outside wheel. If the slipping wheel doesn't have enough normal load to put much torque down, two times almost nothing is still almost nothing. We tested the car with a helical limited slip and it essentially doesn't work when trying to put power down in limit cornering.

In developing torque steer mitigation measures, the limited slip was a degredation in torque steer as torque is sent side to side.

The BLD is capable of transferring enough torque to slip the outside front wheel when cornering on dry pavement. Because of the monster front brakes, it functions up to 85 mph, unlike 35 or at the most 60 mph on other cars (BMW). The BLD is tuned to allow a decent amount of controlled slip. About the right amount for powering out of turns at the racetrack. If you want to see how well it works, pull the ABS pump fuse and see how much inside front smoke you generate trying to power out of a turn.

The traction control system was even tuned in full nanny mode to allow some wheelslip. This keeps the car fun to drive. On a wet racetrack, the car is great with the systems full on.

#26 ·

BeeNaKid16 said:
first off let me start by saying...i love my damn bee. and what you guys do! i get looks everywhere and people are always asking me questions! what a kick a$$ product.

my question is this... do you know what the halfshafts are rated to? like how much hp/tq they can take because ive seen a few threads of the half shafts breaking in half. just curious is all....

and if you could comment on the drift charger and what you guys had done/sent it off to be done/ etc. to it... i love that thing
Halfshafts have passed all our durability tests for SRT, which did not include that of drag radials and power adders.

As for the drift Charger it was basically a ground up race car that started from a BIW then lightened. We provided some engineering support on the chassis, suspension, body, and engine and driveline. The car was shipped for completion to Shaun Carlsons shop (NuFormz).

some quick specs:
392 supercharged HEMI - 700HP
T6060 6spd transmission
Viper differential and halfshafts
335 BFG radials (19x11 wheels)
3300 lbs
Carbon Fiber Body
Custom KW suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.