Dodge Caliber Forums banner

wtf i do wrong

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  DRHEMI 
#1 ·
installed the pmx downpipe tonight... only prob we had is fitting it into the exhaust.. so said **** it take it in morning to have it expanded slight bit to fit... welll......

my damn car is throwning a light soon as it starts.. checked it out says "random misfire" code... to top it off i cant even go more then 5 psi of vacume.. as in NO BOOOST wont even pass the 0 in the bost gauge... could this all maybe be because the o2 sensor is so close to the end the dp and the dp not being connected its throwing that light throwing it into dead mode er w/e ya call it? we checked all our lines seen no leaks... thought maybe the wastegate was stuck open... heat sheild when put back in was touching a bit... but we fixed... and its still going nowhere...

taking it to get the exhaust expanded n hooked up 2marrow.. hope that solves the problem.. otherwise i have NO CLUE :(

#2 ·
My response is two part.

1. Modern Performance should make sure to mention YOU NEED A PIPE EXPANDER on their website. It's customer service, and not too much to ask.

2. I think your problem could be from many issues. firstly, are you catted or not? The o2 sensors need to be in the top most connector and the one furthest back in the J bung. it could also be fixxed once your exhaust is reconnected, but that's just speculation. Are the sensors connected to their harnesses.

#3 ·
if your in limp mode and remove the cel, your power will still take a couple mile to come back.
last time i was in limp mode, i had to drive almost 10 miles before everything was back to normal.
if the back o2 sensor throws a code, it shouldnt affect your driving. make sure you plugged your top o2 back in.
do you have a scan gauge to clear the cel?

#4 ·
we had a scan tool thats how we new we had the random misfire code. we clear it.. soon as u start it up it throws it right back at ya... even tried reseting everything by unplugging the battery...

the o2 sensors are both securely in there right places at the front and the rear.

bought the catless downpipe

and yes part of customer service is TELLING THE CUSTOMER EVERYTHING ABOUT IT like... PIPE EXPANDER!!! ugh....

another thing... the bracket u get.. our dumbasses.. couldnt figure out how to mount it... prob cause it was 230 am and all wanted to go to bed lol can someone take a picture of theres ???

if your in limp mode and remove the cel, your power will still take a couple mile to come back.
not so sure what u mean... cell?? which cell?? sorry still in learning mode not that smart yet lol

#6 ·
I am using the MPx downpipe. Before I did the install, I searched the forums to gather details. This is where I found out that rent-a-tool exhaust expander from Autozone was needed.

For the bracket install, there is really only a single way it will fit. I don't have a pic of it but I am sure there have been posts/pics posted on the forums. Modern is pretty helpful when you call as well. :)

For the CEL, check all your connections. I.E. O2 sensors, coil connections for your spark plugs, etc... Sometimes when we work on stuff we knock something loose or forget to plug something back in, etc...

#8 ·
I installed my DP and took my car out to beat on it :rofl: no issues.

x2 on the getting a plug for the wideband bung. Also not sure if you put all the screws back on the heat shield but theres one on the drivers side of the turbo that was holding a oil line I believe if you didnt put it back on it could have gotten knocked loose maybe.

Good luck let us know what you figure out :bigthumb:

#9 ·
Check for any sensors or wiring that's disconnected, or any other components for that matter.

It's weird it's throwing the misfire code. You would think it would be 02 sensor related. What year and mileage is your car? I wonder if it's just a coincidence and you randomly got the whole misfire ordeal issue.

#10 ·
boght it off the showroom floor beggining of may.. only 7k on it...

i have been working all day so havent had the chance to go back n look more... i got a srt4 friend who knows a hella lot whos going to help me this evening.. ill be sre to let yall know... incase this happens again.. to someone else ... haha

#11 ·
If everything is connected, no burnt wires, etc., I would say that it's a coincidence and you got the misfire code that just about everyone of us has.

Mine happened around that mileage point, as did most other people's if I'm not mistaken. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the downpipe.

#12 ·
Yeah a lot of people had that misfiring code problem. Take it to the dealer and get it fixed because I really don't think the downpipe caused the problem...the worse thing that ever happened from a downpipe installation was when I did it. I hooked everything up the right way, got a CEL. The O2 sensors were on the wrong bungs, fixed it and then all of a sudden the car wouldn't start. I sent it to the dealer and some fuse blew which probably happened because something grounded...hopefully you get that fixed, and they dont give you sh*t for having the DP installed..good luck!

#13 ·
Exactly.

With the heat shield installed, I honestly think they won't even notice.

#14 · (Edited)
well i got a catless dp so they will notice .. hahaha

as for the problem... i bought a E fouler and BAM solved teh problem

the muffler place wouldnt fit the dp into the exhaust cause of the no cat.. so now my car is aliterally a rolling vibrator its so damn loud.. ugh.. lol me and a friend are going to fix it up 2marrow... im headed out to the track and don have the tools off hand to do it now... :(

but now i have another problem.... im only gettin 9psi... the car feels slower then before the dp :( anyone got any ideas?

#15 ·
ok someone jus told me... stock psi is 9 and my 12 i was getting was jus my car spiking like crazy... and also that it will take a bit to get full power.. cause the comp needs to learn the new set up er however u wana say that... that tru?

#18 ·
You should reset the computer after the install. And yes it can take 100 miles or more for the computer to learn the new free flowing exhaust. If you have an autozone they will lend the pipe expander for free, thats what I did. You could even use it in the parking lot, takes all of 1 min to open up the pipe.

#19 ·
if you dont have the rest of your exhaust hooked up, you will more than likely lose torque. thats why it probably feels slower. this car is not like the nsrt, it dont like open exhaust or cut-outs.

as for your boost, its right on if your on stock pcm. depending what gear your in and the temp. boost will be different.

#20 ·
she figured out herself quick.. deff can feel the power... and holy **** u can hear it spool... so much easier break boostin too.. im beating up on more cars then i could.. hell had an srt8 charger tonight... i know there alot heavier.. but hell i had him but lightly hit rev limiter in 1st.. so he got a lil jump then stayed even he was only and my front fender... my shifting still needs some improvement.. still in the works of the driver mod to help the car lol..

so yah overall ima happy with the outcome.. although..... i threw another CEL tonight.. ima check it out in the am..

and as for not liking the cut outs... right now im jus running the downpipe straight out.. no exhuast.. cause still havent fixed exhaust, will 2marrow... and from what ima feeling it kinda likes it.. but we will see what happens once its all installed correctly 2marrow... i even got an elect cut out.. so we will see how she responds

Reactions: blackbeastsrt4
#25 ·
try gaping the plugs better or get some new ones. you can rent a pipe expander from auto zone for like $10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.