Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Lightning Bolt...Limp Mode...Traction Control Light...Help!

163K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  Ryan Rutter 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I was driving on the highway, and a Red Lightning Bolt started to flash on my dash, and the car immediately lost power while driving, and went into a limp mode from what I could tell. While limping on the side of the road, and red light still blinking, the Traction Control Light came on as well. I managed to get over enough, throw the hazards on and turn off the car. I waited a few minutes, and turned the car on, and things seemed fine. I proceeded to drive and BAM! It happened again!

I managed to get myself turned around and stopped at a gas station. Turned the car off, and had a phone call with my Dad and Mom, about the issue. I then decided to come home, with problem still occuring. Every gear, I can gain maybe 7-8mph and 40mph being the highest in 5th gear. I managed to limp a little closer to home.

My Parents called back, and said to shut the car off, and leave it alone for 5 min+ and then turn it back on. I did just that, and the problem seemed cured, and I drove home. Once home, I proceeded to reset the battery (like the nsrt4s) I let it sit for about 5 minutes unplugged and reconnected the battery. Started the car, and the problem is back without having to drive, and it is idling at 1.5k and sounds real horrible.

So I unplugged the battery again. and came into the house, to come post this thread, and hopefully find out what may be the problem. The car is already out of warranty at 38,883 miles.

Also, the only thing the car has is a K&N Drop in Filter (from like 35k ago) and a muffler delete (like 30k ago)

So can you guys PLEASE help?

Gabriel

See less See more
#31 ·
Well the problem has returned and the car is doing the same thing. Seems Dodge, didnt fix a damn thing. I haven't the money or time to **** with this thing anymore. Everyday this car comes with a new problem, and frankly I am tired of it.

#32 ·
Well the problem has returned and the car is doing the same thing. Seems Dodge, didnt fix a damn thing. I haven't the money or time to **** with this thing anymore. Everyday this car comes with a new problem, and frankly I am tired of it.
Not to sound like an arse or anything, but technically, it's the same problem :jester:

#34 ·
damn again?

#36 ·
Well we dropped the CSRT4 off this morning and it turns out the Throttle Body has failed and they are going to charge me 100 bucks to replace the unit, and get it installed.

Hopefully this takes care of everything, but i wont see my car until late tomorrow or early friday.

#37 ·
Just got another call from dodge and they managed to get the TB in stock, and they installed it, just to find out that the PCM is fried.

They are covering the PCM for me, but i have to wait until next week. They said it was an 800 pcm, and i told them to get the S1 for cheaper for me, and the guy said it has to be stock in order to replace it.

#42 ·
So far so good, the car is doing well. I am grateful that Dodge did install that PCM for us when the car was out of warantee. I also believe they probably did something to cause this particular failure, but even so, they replaced it.

In spite of this problem and a few other minor issues, that Caliber has been a good workhorse for you Gabe, such as the recent Portales trip....

#45 ·
im having the same exact problem i thought maybe i had water in the fuel lines or some stupid **** its miss fires on 2 cylinders, (limp mode) tried dumping heat in to the gas tank no success. if anyone does find out how to fix this please let me know i have a base model with no traction control only feature my caliber has is A/C please if anyone knows whats wrong feel free to call or txt any time day or night 608-548-1119 my name is jacob

#46 ·
My 2008 caliber r/t fwd with a kn air filter just started having same problem. Dealer was convinced it was the accelerator pedal sensor and replaced the whole pedal only to find out it still has the problem. All this after waiting a whole day because they ordered the right part but for the wrong vehicle. Last thing they suggested was a short in the wiring somewhere.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#48 ·
Problem fixed, but.....

I had the same problems you described at the top of the thread. '07 Caliber with 2.0 engine. Throttle body light, limp mode, misfiring, only runs 5-10 mph, sounded like it was gonna fall apart, etc... Off for awhile the first time, and it started up fine. Happened again, so I got as much advice from the threads here, removed & cleaned out the throttle body and parts, checked cables, good gas, etc, then unplugged all night to reset. Ran fine for a few days. This morning it did it again and I couldn't get to work. No local shop would look at it- "dealer only wah wah wah." Limped to dealer. Bad throttle control, intake manifold gasket, pcv valve and a few small things. They had another just like mine a few days ago. Did the throttle and it was back the next day for the rest. $980 later and it runs like a top. But tonight it and I are not on speaking terms!!!!! :mecry:

#49 ·
Stock '07 SXT 90k miles

About 3 weeks ago the old lightening bolt light came on. I read that the first thing to try was new spark plugs. So i replaced those and it ran perfect until last night.

Wife was driving home she said it started bucking around 3k RPM again. She kept driving, light came and starting bucking, would not pass 15 mph. Pulled over shut off, turned on, ran fine for a few miles. then starting bucking again and stalled. Turn off and on again drove a another mile with the light flashing, started vibrating and stalled again. Tried off and on again one last time. Started to drive, vibrated and stall when brakes applied.

Im pretty handy and hope there is something I can do to fix without bring to dealer. I wonder if autozone can scan the brain for me?

Thoughts?

#51 ·
Good luck with that. The lightning bolt light is for throttle body/throttle control. Autozone and several repair shops turned me away. They said dealer only, no parts available. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I do hope you can find an alternative. If you do, please share it with us..

#50 ·
My problem turned out to be a bare wire kept touching the frame somewhere under the front driverside fender. This would sometimes short out and send a signal to the computer to put the car into limp mode. They replaced it for like $70 if memory serves. Problem has not returned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.