Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Power tranfer Unit

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  dfinn 
#1 ·
I have not seen this anywhere here so I have to ask, has anyone had to replace their power transfer unit (transfer case) in their R/T AWD. Mine is a 2007, I bought it used from a dealer. Had it checked by a trusted mechanic when I got it and it was in great shape. Now 2 yrs later, I was told I had main seal leak and it would be $575.00. I got the car serviced at the dealer where I bought it (not a Dodge dealer) and was going to make an appointment for the seals and now they tell me it's not the seal but the entire transfer case needs to be replaces for $2200.00 because of the leak.
it seems unusual, and after checking the servive manual there are at least 3 seals associated with it, youd think they would be what causes the leak.

I still need to get a 2nd & 3rd opinion, but the closest Dodge dealer is 60 miles away. I am going to take it to the place that used to be a jeep dealer and let then look at it as they still have alot of their Chrysler guys there.

#8 ·
OK this is what the Ex-Jeep place said: it looks like to them that the unit had been overfilled and it was blowing oil from the vent. They set the oils to the proper level, cleaned up the mess and asked me to drive it for the next week or ten days and the bring it back so they could check again if it's still leaking. They didn't think it was cracked but it could still possibly be a seal.How could it get cracked anyway, it's not like I take out 4 wheeling. The saga continues. I'm going to hold off on the driveline place until then.

#10 ·
it always possible it was overfilled at the 60k service. I didn't have a leak before that service, that I know of. Same place that did the 60 is who told me it needs to be replaced. So who knows. I'll get it figured out. this car as been really reliable and I'd rather just keep it. I haven't had any other serious problems. Just a thing with the back lights to the dash not always staying on, and I added some leds to deal with that.

#11 ·
There are a LOT of things to check before assuming it needs to be replaced. Assuming the transfer case is anything similar to a Jeep(which i what i work on) there are NUMEROUS seals that will go bad over time and start leaking.

#12 ·
So I go back and check all my service receipts for the car. I have them all, of course. Funnny thing there's no leak prior to the 60k service but they mention it when I get the oil changed next service after the 60K. So after the Jeep place checks it again, I will take it up with the service manger where they did the 60k service. At least I kept all the paperwork. Hopefully if there is damage to the seals they'll do right by me, who knows.

#13 ·
Well I now have more to this story I guess. I went to the Dodge dealer to have the CVT service done and they said the PTU was leaking. Since I've kept an eye on it, and check for a leak periodically, this has happened just since my last oil change, around 3000 miles ago. Now I have to wonder if the seals have finally gone bad due to the previous over filling or is it something else? The car now has 115,000 miles on it. Just in the past few months I had to replace the alternator, and that was pricey. And the dealer said the tie rod ends are loose. But I had new tires and an alignment about 4 months ago and the tire place didn't mention anything about that. Don't know. guess the car is trying to fall apart now that it's old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.