Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Caliber SE

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Godmyprovider28 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a 08 Caliber SE 2 months ago. I have already had to replace the front break pads and rotors probably excessive wear on the breaks from the previous owner. I do have a drivers side head light low beam out. Luckly i already read the other forum so i will give the battery trick a try to reset the timp. My main problem is. Usually every thing is easier when an engine light comes on. just hook up the computer and find the code. But my car is having erratic and sputtering power loss up hill down hill on straight stretches it dose it when accelerating off and on not all the time. No engine light has come on. I Iknow that the engine light works because it came on saying change oil soon. I cant decide were to look fuel filter or fuel pump or emiisions?? Any ideas??

#3 ·
Timp

I am kind of a do it yourself guy. You have had a Caliber longer than I have so you would know more then me. So what is a TIMP were is it located under the hood and what are its functions? I am happy with my Caliber and enjoy driving it. I get compliments all the time about the car but i hope i haven't stumbled onto a car that is going to have constant needs?? And thanks for the tip. I appreciate all the help i can get.

#4 ·
I am kind of a do it yourself guy. You have had a Caliber longer than I have so you would know more then me. So what is a TIMP were is it located under the hood and what are its functions? I am happy with my Caliber and enjoy driving it. I get compliments all the time about the car but i hope i haven't stumbled onto a car that is going to have constant needs?? And thanks for the tip. I appreciate all the help i can get.
The TIPM is the Totally Integrated Power Module - or- the fusebox under the hood. Moisture gets into it as they didn't build them well, and things start to fail for no reason; like low beam headlights, wipers that don't stop, etc.

I currently have a driver side low beam that doesn't work because my TIPM is starting to fail as well. I'm hoping it will last until I trade the car this year on something else.

I had the throttle body replaced under warranty on my Caliber. Around a specific RPM range the car would have no throttle, which makes driving a manual a bit more difficult, and more jerky as well. I never had a CEL or ignition light for this problem, but after having the throttle body replaced it has been "fine"

You're right, I've had my car for over 8 years now, so some of the issues are really starting to annoy me. I've had the entire front suspension replaced at least once under warranty, along with the A/C compressor, engine and trans mounts, clutch, rear suspension parts, throttle body, etc. I rarely have a 6 month period where I don't have a problem with the car. Just last weekend I had to put the 3rd lower control arm on the passenger side (which just matches the 3rd lower control arm on the driver side). The thing is, I have less than 90,000km on the car. I've learned how to do a lot of DIY things thanks to this car.

I too get compliments on the car, as it looks brand new still, and I even have a couple of friends who want to buy it from me, but I don't want to sell this to a friend.

#5 ·
caliber

I got a wobble in my front driver side steering wheel. Not a bad wobble Even at high speeds it is not that bad of wobble but still i can feel it. Would that be one of the suspension parts. I was thinking about having a mount balance and rotate done but maybe you have had that happen to you? After i get these two problems fixed. I should be good to go for awhile. I have had to change the oil, break pads, fix that throttle body issue or TPS sensor and final problem is the wobble then like i said should be good for awhile. I was looking at your caliber. Nice car. Did you put that dash in by your self. Must have been a hassle? Looks awesome thoo.

#6 ·
I got a wobble in my front driver side steering wheel. Not a bad wobble Even at high speeds it is not that bad of wobble but still i can feel it. Would that be one of the suspension parts. I was thinking about having a mount balance and rotate done but maybe you have had that happen to you? After i get these two problems fixed. I should be good to go for awhile. I have had to change the oil, break pads, fix that throttle body issue or TPS sensor and final problem is the wobble then like i said should be good for awhile. I was looking at your caliber. Nice car. Did you put that dash in by your self. Must have been a hassle? Looks awesome thoo.
A wobble could be as simple as a tire that's out of balance, a loose wheel, or as bad as suspension parts. I wouldn't really know how else to direct you there sorry.

I had a bad wobble at one point, but I took the front tires off, cleaned the inside of the wheel and the mounting surface on the hub, and it went away - so it muse have just been dirt in there.

Thanks. Yeah, I built that dash myself about 6 months after I got the car. I had to redo it when I did the MyGIG retro fit, as that required a new bezel to fit in. I actually just installed an SRT shift boot to replace the pleather one that was in there too. It was a project. But I had a spare radio bezel, so I wasn't in a rush. Same with my headlights, I had a spare set so I was able to not rush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.