Whirring/Whining noise coming from engine? - Dodge Caliber Forums
Dodge Caliber Dodge Caliber Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service If you are having problems with your Dodge Caliber and you would like to discuss it, this is the section. Have your car into the dealer for a particular reason and want to talk about it? Do it in here.

CaliberForums.com is the premier Dodge Caliber Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Points: 4,468, Level: 42 Points: 4,468, Level: 42 Points: 4,468, Level: 42
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Whirring/Whining noise coming from engine?

My '07 Caliber R/T AWD is making a noise that makes the engine sound like an electric motor (think R/C car). It gets louder the faster I'm going.

I've searched around and I believe it's the pulley on the alternator. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't want to purchase the tools to remove the pulley and would proceed by just changing the alternator. Aftermarket alternators I've found state that the pulley is a clutch pulley. My searches say that the Caliber uses a decoupler pulley. Is a clutch pulley the same as a decoupler pulley?

I'm deciding on one of these alternators. Is one better than the other? Both of these use a clutch pulley.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...one_19850538-p

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...5_415475_9606_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Caliber Forums > Dodge Caliber Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service