Dodge Caliber Forums banner

How do I change the spark plugs?!

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  GreaseMonkey 
#1 ·
I feel ashamed even having to ask this, but how do I change the spark plugs on this thing? It seems to me that the rail and caps over the plugs need to come off somehow... Help!!!

#5 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
Went good guys, very easy to change the plugs on this car. If this were my Wrangler I'd still be at it. Thanks for the help. FWIW, I went with Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and used plenty of anti seize.
Bad move with the Bosch plugs. Those ground straps have a known issue with them breaking off. Not to mention, was there any reason you feel you need four ground straps? The spark will only jump to one....

#6 ·
GreaseMonkey said:
Bad move with the Bosch plugs. Those ground straps have a known issue with them breaking off. Not to mention, was there any reason you feel you need four ground straps? The spark will only jump to one....
Not really, breakign off, as in AKA, IN THE CYLINDER?! Not really, I knew (or rather thought) Bosch made good designed products. I use Bosch stuff daily at work with no problems, so the brand I guess... Not to mention Auto Zone was less than helpful with recommendations... Put it this way, if it breaks off, I will own Bosch.

#7 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
Not really, breakign off, as in AKA, IN THE CYLINDER?! Not really, I knew (or rather thought) Bosch made good designed products. I use Bosch stuff daily at work with no problems, so the brand I guess...
Yes, they break off within the cylinder. I, as well as several other techs have seen these things cause issues.

FYI, you paid extra money for a product that is a complete marketing ploy and offers no benefit in extra life or performance.

#8 ·
GreaseMonkey said:
Yes, they break off within the cylinder. I, as well as several other techs have seen these things cause issues.

FYI, you paid extra money for a product that is a complete marketing ploy and offers no benefit in extra life or performance.
I knew the FYI, but if they work decently and perform alright with no loss of power/breakage I'll be alright. Techs that work on what brand cars? Dodges?! :eek: :eek: Taking these *****es back if that's the case immediately! A google search didn't show up too terribly many problems with them, excepting if the spark plug was on the side of the chamber oddly enough... I don't know if autozone even listed the NGKs as an option. All I know is that after the tune up, I am getting upwards of 32 MPG, so I am happy.

#9 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
I knew the FYI, but if they work decently and perform alright with no loss of power/breakage I'll be alright. Techs that work on what brand cars? Dodges?! :eek: :eek: Taking these *****es back if that's the case immediately! A google search didn't show up too terribly many problems with them, excepting if the spark plug was on the side of the chamber oddly enough... I don't know if autozone even listed the NGKs as an option. All I know is that after the tune up, I am getting upwards of 32 MPG, so I am happy.
There isn't much "published" information on that going on. Many automotive forum users have vented their frustration with them. Take it with a grain of salt.

As far as the techs, I'm talking about ones that work on everything. NGKs are an option for your car. Ask for them, and AutoZone can cross reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.