Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Headlight problem (not the normal one)

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Erik Berg 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. Lets start by saying im Swedish som my english may have its ups and downs.. :)

I will use the terms Full beam, half beam and parking light (the little bulb), hopefully you´ll understand what i mean.

When i start the car i have half beam and i can flash full beam by pulling the light lever towards me, no problem there.
When i drive in the dark i turn the knob on the light lever to be able to push it forward for constant full beam. Pushing the lever forward gives me full beam, that works, but when im pulling lever towards me to neutral position to go to half beam parking light goes on and i dont see anything ahead of me. So in order to drive in the dark and be able to switch between full and half beam i have to have the lever i forward position and turn the knob every time for half beam/full beam to work and thats not a safe way to drive in the dark.

Anyone heard about this problem before..?
I may also add that my dashboard lighting doesnt work, all other electrics works fine. Dont know if this helps but i thought i´d mention it...

/Erik, Sweden :)

See less See more
#2 ·
For North American Calibers it's a little different

We have:
Low-Beam (half beam) - regular headlights
High-Beam (Full beam) - needed in dark conditions by pushing stalk away, or for a quick flash, by pulling it back
DRLs - High-beams on at 50% - poorly implemented system that turns off the bulb when turn signal is on, and blinds other drivers when on.

We don't have the little parking lamp that you have on yours. We only have 2 bulbs - the headlight bulb, and the orange turn signal bulb (that also functions as an indicator/parking lamp)

It sounds to me that everything works fine on your Caliber, except for the high beams when you pull the stalk back - correct? Or are you saying that when turning off the steady high beams (stalk pushed forwards) the low beam turns off as well?

#3 · (Edited)
Or are you saying that when turning off the steady high beams (stalk pushed forwards) the low beam turns off as well?
Yep, thats what happens... When stalk is pushed into forward position high beams works. But when pulling it back to neutral position both high and low beams are turned off.
Meeting another car on a dark road, facing the other cars lights, makes me completely blind....
It hasnt always been like this. Suddenly one day it just didnt work as its supposed to and always have before...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.