Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Chevy HHR SS - looks like crap, but "gets it"

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  xlimodriver 
#1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/14/first-drive-2008-chevrolet-hhr-ss/

Damn, I can't say much for the styling, but they ship with launch control no lift shift, AND a true LSD, for $22,995!

That's really cool, it shows that GM really knows what types of things the enthusiast wants. The Cobalt SS will be shipping with the same 260HP engine, and the launch control/no lift shift/LSD too, at a price that is right in the Caliber SRT-4 range.

Damn, too bad Mopar didn't release the C-SRT4 with those features, I think it looks a thousand times better than either of the GM chunks of junk, but if GM can add those little electronic features and an LSD for that price, that's going to make it harder to choose. Maybe Mopar will release their stage kits and offer no lift shift again (like the N-SRT4) and add launch control, and an LSD, but the other guys get it for the purchase price of the vehicle...

#4 ·
It looks like someone gave it a serious fat lip...
And the grill splitter should have been centered, it's too high.
It looks pretty good for a box, other than the grill and the fat-lip bumper of course.
Now, If they make a two door Panel Express version (and figure out a way around that giant bumper), I'd see those selling like crazy.
As is though, why get this butt-ugly, 260 horse, bow-tie-P/T Cruiser wannabe when pretty much the same money will put you in an I-mean-business-looking, 285 horsepower, 6-speed Caliber SRT4?
About the only plus I can see the HHR SS has going for it, if you'd want to call it a plus at all, is you can get an automatic in it. Albeit this sad version, "The automatic loses out on power by a few dozen horses"
:eek: What's that mean, like nearly 40 horsepower less with the automatic???
Dang, that's a lot of lost ponies for a slushbox! 10 maybe 20, okay, but a FEW dozen? Isn't a few at least three???
So, I can't call having the automatic a 'plus' really... BUT, if an SRT4 could have been had with an automatic, I'd have one right now!
Of course Cindy'd still be driving in more than me, but at least I'd have one!;)

#5 ·
In the end...its still a big fugly looking Chevy! :D

#6 ·
Agreed, I think it totally looks like crap, but I really love that they've added real enthusiast features like launch control and WOT shifting. Those are the things that people spend $2000 on an AEM EMS to get. Even Mopar added the WOT shifting in their staged PCMs, because it's something a racer wants... now that Chevy is raising the bar, we'll see if other makers of sport compacts aimed at enthusiasts will follow suit, Mopar included.

I certainly wouldn't take it over a Caliber SRT-4 based on those things, the Caliber looks so much better, and has more power.

#8 ·
big#44 said:
Whats the "WOT shifting"?
each system is a little different, but a high level you keep your foot planted and shift.

Where things get different is what rpm becomes the new redline based on what gear you are shifting into for a good shift. Smart systems would be close to a match for each shift, whereas holding at say 6000rpm would be a rough shift in lower gears since the gear gap is larger

#10 ·
Unoriginalusername said:
each system is a little different, but a high level you keep your foot planted and shift.

Where things get different is what rpm becomes the new redline based on what gear you are shifting into for a good shift. Smart systems would be close to a match for each shift, whereas holding at say 6000rpm would be a rough shift in lower gears since the gear gap is larger
so no clutch? you just shift?

#11 ·
big#44 said:
so no clutch? you just shift?
No you still use the clutch... without it you'd bounce off the rev limiter and you're launch would be different everytime. With it you have the clutch in, nail the gas but the revs will only go to say 3000rpm, dump the clutch and you're wot.

when you shift you keep your gas pedal planted and shift as per normal... difference is the revs to shoot up to the limiter like they would without. they will hold at a predeterminded rpm that will be near the rpm range of the next shift point. Most likely whenever you clutch in the rpm that you were at will be the limit and they will stay there at wot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.